Search similar:

uniqs
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

[General] Lollipop and VoLTE comes to the Note 4.

Got Lollipop on my Note 4 last night. Seems pretty painless. So far everything is working well.

One of the features of Lollipop on the Note 4 is VoLTE. Gave it a try this morning with a coworker who also got Lollipop.

You've got to run through a quick setup to enable your account for VoLTE and after that, when you make a call two additional buttons show up in the dialer. The account changes have (so-far) not impacted my unlimited data.

2-way video and 1-way video calls.

You call another VoLTE enabled phone the same way you always have. The call setup seems faster and the audio is crystal clear.

Switching to a video call is very fast and the quality was acceptable. But we are attached to a in-building DAS and the tower is across the street.

If I recall reading the FAQ correctly, VoLTE voice calls do not impact your data allotment. However, video calls will. I may be wrong on that though.

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2

Anon

VoLTE is not a feature of Lollipop. I had that on my G2 when it had kitkat not to mention the iPhone 6 and 6 plus have VoLTE. It was just easier for Verizon to give you both in one update.

VoLTE voice calls use minutes if one has a minute plan. Most have unlimited minutes now. Video calls use data if you are using Verizon's network( just like Skype and any other video calling service would ). If you use wi-fi it does not use your data.

Yes if 2 phones that have VoLTE enabled talk the difference between regular cell call and a VoLTE call is night and day.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to ke4pym

to ke4pym
I think S5 was the first phone to have VolTE on Verizon.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to HereToHelp2

Premium Member

to HereToHelp2
My apologies. I should have said "One of the features of the update..."

According to one of the FAQs I read the iPhones can't do video calls. Any truth to that?
ke4pym

ke4pym to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

When did it get it? When I had a S5 for work, it didn't offer VoLTE. I gave that phone to my sister, and last I looked at it, I didn't see that feature. Granted it's been a month or so.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by ke4pym:

said by patt2k:

When did it get it? When I had a S5 for work, it didn't offer VoLTE. I gave that phone to my sister, and last I looked at it, I didn't see that feature. Granted it's been a month or so.

It's been forever you just need to enable it on verizon's site and the phone
said by ke4pym:

My apologies. I should have said "One of the features of the update..."

According to one of the FAQs I read the iPhones can't do video calls. Any truth to that?

Not between android phones that's what it means.

iPhone between Android for example
Android between Android will work.

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2 to ke4pym

Anon

to ke4pym
said by patt2k:

yes that and the LG G2
said by ke4pym:

As of now no it can't. Apple wants you to use their video calling thing.
said by ke4pym:

back in September. You have to activate it on the account level via My Verizon and then activate it on your phone.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

On the Note there's just a couple buttons you push and it all magically starts to work.

Checking VZW's site, I don't see any options on her S5 to enable it. Unless they buried it somewhere.

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2

Anon

said by ke4pym:

On the Note there's just a couple buttons you push and it all magically starts to work.

Checking VZW's site, I don't see any options on her S5 to enable it. Unless they buried it somewhere.

for the S5 an G2 you had to sign into My Verizon first and add the feature.

Certain Advanced Calling 1.0-capable devices (such as LG G3, Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, and Motorola Droid Turbo) allow you to get Advanced Calling 1.0 right from your own devices.

might explain why you could add it right from your phone
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

Hrm. That was not an option that I could find to add to the S5 on the account...

I'll be able to lay my hands on the phone tomorrow. So I'll tinker over the weekend.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

on my S5 with Lollipop it is in settings> Advanced Calling
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

After applying Lollipop to the S5, the steps to enable advanced calling were the same as the Note.

While I have no proof, I have a strong suspicion that enabling advanced calling also removed text messaging block on my phone.

I started getting text messages all of a sudden over the weekend. I called Verizon and they told me there was no way to enable text message block anymore. I was furious.

So the rep did some digging and she was able to find the option to block it for me. Apparently, she'd had some other customers call in over the weekend and the option to block text messaging for them was no longer available.

Some how I now have 9 received text messages. I won't be able to get a credit until my bill generates in about 10 days.

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2

Anon

said by ke4pym:

After applying Lollipop to the S5, the steps to enable advanced calling were the same as the Note.

While I have no proof, I have a strong suspicion that enabling advanced calling also removed text messaging block on my phone.

I started getting text messages all of a sudden over the weekend. I called Verizon and they told me there was no way to enable text message block anymore. I was furious.

So the rep did some digging and she was able to find the option to block it for me. Apparently, she'd had some other customers call in over the weekend and the option to block text messaging for them was no longer available.

Some how I now have 9 received text messages. I won't be able to get a credit until my bill generates in about 10 days.

Why would you block texts? credit? You must be on a old plan. More Everything comes with unlimited texting
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by HereToHelp2 :

Why would you block texts? credit? You must be on a old plan. More Everything comes with unlimited texting

I refuse to pay for text messaging. I also find it highly annoying. My plan is the old Family Share plan. I prefer access to unlimited data over unlimited talk/text.