uniqs

seaman
Premium Member
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

Improving client side w/ antenna

I am putting up a Ubiquity PicoStation outdoors and wondering how I can improve the send/receive for the client (laptop) inside a boat 40 meters away. Can someone recommend an antenna that might work well with a laptop?
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

Laptops generally have very good antennas built into them and they have no means to wire external antennas. If the laptop cannot pick up the Pico at 40m then it is the Pico that should be replaced. I would try a Nano pointed in the direction of the boat.

seaman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

OK, thank you for the input. I have a Nano M5 in stock if necessary.
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

5GHz does not usually have the same range as 2.4 on most laptops.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS

said by LLigetfa:

5GHz does not usually have the same range as 2.4 on most laptops.

or, anything really
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

5GHz is good for CLOS PtP fixed wireless and they do have their place to offload 2.4 on dual band crowded APs.

Many boaters like to install a Bullet with an omni up high and then use an airGateway to provide WiFi on the boat. It can all run off the boat's 12V electrical system.

seaman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

said by LLigetfa:

install a Bullet with an omni up high and then use an airGateway to provide WiFi on the boat.

OK, great info. I found the airGateway. Can you point me to a Bullet with omni?
LLigetfa
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

The Bullet M2 has a male N connector so an omni with female N in the dBi range desired and little or no electrical downtilt would fit the bill. Keep in mind that higher dBi means longer distances but they have narrower beam so won't do as well on rolling seas.

»dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/b ··· _web.pdf
»www.l-com.com/wireless-a ··· onnector

seaman
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

seaman

Premium Member

Thank you for this info. I have installed the PicoM2. I need to deliver internet to this contractor and keep him out of all other network resources. Looking at possible network modes in AirOS (bridge, router, soho router) I am thinking "router" might be the best choice?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

said by seaman:

Thank you for this info. I have installed the PicoM2. I need to deliver internet to this contractor and keep him out of all other network resources. Looking at possible network modes in AirOS (bridge, router, soho router) I am thinking "router" might be the best choice?

vlan is best option, by default he has access to everything "upstream"
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to seaman

MVM

to seaman
Depends how much you want to keep said contractor out of your network.

By that, if you were to VLAN things and set up your network with a 10.x.x.x address range, and "the guest" network
with a 172.16.x.x range for example, and trust contractor not to do any ping tests or run any malicious software
while connected...

If you're really paranoid, or are legally / contractually obligated to ensure your systems' integrity, I'd put
a dedicated device in place between your network and the guest network, and setup syslogging any attempts for
traffic between the two networks to mix.

My 00000010bits

Regards