spc
Search similar:

uniqs

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2

Anon

[HSI] Cisco DPC3208 firmware upgraded

Not sure what if any improvements are but firmware just upgraded from one dated Oct 9th 2012 to one dated Jan 3rd 2014.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

Is this a Charter-pushed upgrade, as the forum FAQ suggests, or something you found and installed yourself?

Tim

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to HereToHelp2

Premium Member

to HereToHelp2
I just checked and I also have the newer firmware update.

HereToHelp2
@charter.com

HereToHelp2 to timcuth

Anon

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

Is this a Charter-pushed upgrade, as the forum FAQ suggests, or something you found and installed yourself?

Tim

No I didn't do anything. My internet went out for a few minutes then when it came back on I checked the modem status page and saw the new firmware.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL

timcuth

Premium Member

Thank you.

Tim

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

2 recommendations

cork1958 to timcuth

Premium Member

to timcuth
said by timcuth:

FWIW,
The ONLY way to get a firmware update is if Charter pushes one. You CAN NOT do that yourself.

Meathax
Looking for better Pings
join:2010-10-24
Cherry Valley, MA

Meathax to HereToHelp2

to HereToHelp2
I just noticed this change myself. The only difference I see is that my upstream power level is slightly higher. It used to be around 35-36 now it is reading 39.5. Still not sure if this is a good number. I read that it should be between 42 and 50. Any thoughts? Would a better number improve my ping to gaming servers?

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

4 edits

B4Knight

Premium Member

Click for full size
35 dBmV is the minimum power level for the upstream side and is kinda low. On average its somewhere in the 40's, but shouldn't really be higher than 50 dBmV. DOCSIS spec says that a modem upstream power limit is 58 dBmV, but I know from experience that I started experiencing issues at around 51-52 dBmV. A better number will not improve your ping to gaming servers. What kind of pings are you getting to these gaming servers and how far away are they from you?

My upstream power usually hovers around the high 40's as you can see.

Also firmware updates cannot be user installed. They are pushed from the CMTS to the end user's modem.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

said by B4Knight:

DOCSIS spec says that a modem upstream power limit is 58 dBmV, but I know from experience that I started experiencing issues at around 51-52 dBmV.

Depends on the modulation being used. More complex modulation schemes require tighter signal specifications.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight

Premium Member

Can the tolerances vary from system to system?

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant

No.