Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

HP BL460c G1 crashing

Click for full size
Hello,

I have an odd problem. I have 4x BL460c G1. I am upgrading all of them to XenServer 6.5. During my original testing, as they are not in the HCL, i took one of the blades and installed XenServer 6.5 and verified everything was working and recognized.

I then, started the process of performing the upgrade to all 4 blades. All of them except 1 worked without any issues whatsoever.

Only 1 of the blades keeps crashing while the install disk is booting up. I tried downloading a new ISO in case the one i was using got corrupted, i updated the firmware on that blade, i ran hp diags and everything was reported as good, i actually made a CD and tried using it instead of loading tthe ISO via the network, and nothing. It always crashes at the same point.

As far as i can see, it is something about noapci being incompatible. But what i dont get it's that all 4 blades are the same.

Attached is a screenshot of the console.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or

Premium Member

Ha, G1???!?!?! Are you frickin kidding me? When I see G7s these days, I think theyre a bit old, I cringe a bit more at G6s, and just laugh at people who run G5s.

All aside, its cool to see people keep real old stuff running, and I give you props for trying. I remember when I hooked up my 10 year old whitebox up to try and recover the Winders RAID I set up.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Hey, don't hate on the G5's!

Are they EXACTLY the same hardware? Same identical RAM, CPU (not just 128GB of etc, etc, exact specs), exact mobo revision?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Check the bios settings and compare.

PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
i ll have to check on the exact mobo rev. I know for a fact that all the RAM, CPUs, Mezzanine cards are all the same exact version and model.

Maybe i missed something. I ll triple check just to make sure.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
said by PToN:

noapci being incompatible.

That makes me think maybe a ACPI setting in the Bios

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to exocet_cm

Premium Member

to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

When I have to take a call on some billion dollar firm running G5s, bitching to me that the performance on them isnt good enough, and expecting me to fix it, I hate.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by The Dv8or:

said by exocet_cm:

When I have to take a call on some billion dollar firm running G5s, bitching to me that the performance on them isnt good enough, and expecting me to fix it, I hate.

What's a billion dollar firm doing with 8 year old servers?
If they're a firm like that then they should be upgrading every 3-5 years.

Don't hate the server hate the accounting dept that's penny wise but pound foolish.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to The Dv8or

Premium Member

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:

said by exocet_cm:

My customer (who you would measure in the hundreds of billions) was still buying G6 servers up till about a year and a half ago. They were the long-life, NEBS certified blades until the Gen8 v2 blades hit the street.

Some Divisions of this customer buy bleeding edge, some trail by years. Some still buy SPARC, and heck, I even sold some PARISC CPUs a few months ago.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

What's a billion dollar firm doing with 8 year old servers?
If they're a firm like that then they should be upgrading every 3-5 years.

They're probably understaffed or overloaded with red tape it takes 10 years to age out the servers.

It's a lot harder than it sounds to just up and upgrade a server. Even if you do have the budget in place to purchase hardware.

Hell, at my place we have servers sitting around waiting to get installed. But there's either no time or the app team refuses to allow us a downtime long enough to make things happen.

G9's have just started hitting the street. While a G7 can be old, doesn't mean that it is THAT old.

The 460c G1? Now that ... that's old. And sorry you have to keep using something that old!

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
I had a friend call me the other day ... He still works at a previous employer. I left there in 2008.

He was laughing because he got a list of 'aged' assets and found some servers we installed together were still running.

At least one of them I installed in 2001. It's been running for 14 years, and nobody will shut it down because they still depend on it!

Unreal. Talk about longevity.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

We have a Netware server running that has 5 (out of 6) failed disks. They STILL won't let us remove it.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

We have a Netware server running that has 5 (out of 6) failed disks. They STILL won't let us remove it.

What version of NetWare? I have half a copy of Banyan VINES sitting here... would love to find the rest of it and putz with it till I can get it running in VMware.... I miss those days - that was Good Stuff (tm).
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

No idea. We assume the machine has long since crashed. Nothing will come up on the screen when we attach a crash cart.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

said by ke4pym:

No idea. We assume the machine has long since crashed. Nothing will come up on the screen when we attach a crash cart.

Well, with 5 out of 6 drives dead, at least the storage is probably offline .... but that NetWare kernel just might still be running. Seriously, NetWare is a tank.