All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mike11234
@shawcable.net

Mike11234

Anon

[BC] Bridging a Hitron CGNM-2250 on BB60, How?

I'm trying to get my Hitron CGNM-2250 into bridge mode. The reps are telling me I need BB 120 to do this. I have BB60. They told me they tried to push the bridge mode command to my router but it failed. Can this be done? The only modem they said that they can bridge at below 120 speeds is the Cisco DPC3825, which I do not want as that modem performed poorly for me in the past (2 seperate modems, both in bridge). Now that I'm at my new place I got the Hitron and its working nicely with speeds as advertised, but Its useless in terms of routing (Cant setup WOL or other fun stuff).
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

1 recommendation

ravenchilde

Don't bridge, do this:

1. Factory reset the Hitron using the reset button on the back
2. In the Admin menu you will find Passthrough, set up a port or the Mac address of your own router
3. Before powering up your router, call Shaw and ask for your 2nd IP to be activated
4. Reset the hitron again
5. Power up your router, it will pull a public IP address
6. Enjoy
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to Mike11234

Premium Member

to Mike11234
Have a look at the following document for the CGN3, which is the forerunner to the CGNM.

»www.midcocomm.com/conten ··· uide.pdf

On page 54, is the Residential Gateway enable / disable. If, on the Rogers CGN3 or CGN3ACR (CGNM-2250 equivalent), you disable this function, the modem will reboot into Bridge mode. From what I remember, after logging into the modem, this is found in the BASIC.....GATEWAY FUNCTION Tab. To bring the modem back out of Bridge mode back into Gateway mode, depress the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and then release.

Has Shaw removed access the Gateway Function Tab? Fwiw I run a CGN3 in Bridge mode, and the common advice on the Rogers forum is to bridge the Hitron modem and use your own router to solve many of the inadequacies of the modem.

Mike11234
@shawcable.net

Mike11234 to ravenchilde

Anon

to ravenchilde
There is no passthrough option or Gateway option on this modem. It appears shaw has removed those features. This thing is really locked down. Almost all of its features have been stripped. The only thing you can really do is change the wireless password/security, change the routers password, and setup port forwarding.

I have the shaw rep coming in today to swap out this modem for the Cisco, since bridging this or doing a passthrough with a second IP seems impossible with shaw.
58391701 (banned)
join:2014-06-30
New Westminster, BC

58391701 (banned)

i also have one and can verify there is noo passthrough option and i confirmed this with shaw

Mike11234
@shawcable.net

Mike11234 to Datalink

Anon

to Datalink
I did see the ip passthrough mode actually when I reset the router. I still let the shaw Rep take my modem and give me the cisco tho because I dont really want the Hitron doing a passthrough while at the same time doing another useless network on another IP. Seems like simply putting wear on the modem for no reason at all. Hopefully the Cisco behaves this time and maybe Shaw can give me a Hitron already in bridge mode in the future (The rep showed up with this Cisco that was already in bridge mode)
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

No user accessible Bridge Mode setting. Thats pretty sad. You should at the very least be able to call Tech Support and have them set it to Bridge mode if Shaw removed it from the user interface. That would be enough to send me to a TPIA. Its still possible to use a third party router with the Hitron in gateway mode, unless Shaw has removed the capability to turn off the wifi networks on the modem. But, items like Port Forwarding would be a complete pain.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to Mike11234

Premium Member

to Mike11234
Here's the thing though.... If you have your own kick-ass router, why would you give a Damn if/what the Hitron can do? Just drop a Cisco unit in and worry about other things.

The "advanced routers" (that's laughable) are intended for customers that will be using them as their primary router/wifi AP. So if that doesn't describe you and your needs, gripe about something else.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

stolen to Mike11234

to Mike11234
You have to factory reset the modem in order to have the passthrough mode show up. (hold the reset button on the back down for ~10 seconds). I can grab a screenshot for you in a few, as I'm using this (just need to actually hook things up directly to the modem so I can access the gui)
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

1 recommendation

ravenchilde

As Mike confirmed, passthrough is available, Fryst is not correct. It isn't useless though: It's very useful for Internet of Things devices like "Connected by TCP" lights, Phillips Hue, Chamberlain garage door openers, Belkin, WeMo, etc.

Keeping those devices OFF your private wifi, and put onto their own wifi network has bonuses. Lots of IoT devices weren't designed by people with Wifi/Internet security in mind, and the TCP lights had a security exploit where they were leaking your WPA key during pairing.

A software bug does mean that you have to Factory reset the Hitron to see the passthrough option in the Admin menu.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

Click for full size
Promised screenshot. As ravenchilde reiterated, you do need to do the factory reset.
I have the wifi turned off on mine.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada

jtl999

Smexy web interface :P

Mike11234
@whitewaterwest.com

Mike11234 to ravenchilde

Anon

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

Don't bridge, do this:

1. Factory reset the Hitron using the reset button on the back
2. In the Admin menu you will find Passthrough, set up a port or the Mac address of your own router
3. Before powering up your router, call Shaw and ask for your 2nd IP to be activated
4. Reset the hitron again
5. Power up your router, it will pull a public IP address
6. Enjoy

Can this process be explained more? I have received a a hitron modem back and cannot get this to work.

1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Factory reset or power off
5. By "power up your router" can I not just ipnew? Im using dd-wrt and under the wan tab I can just release/renew IP. I tried powering up and factory reset tho and both times I was provided with an IP from the hitron, not the direct second IP. I have also tried using port passthrough and MAC address passthrough to no avail. Also, which port is which on the Hitron? they are not numbered 1-4 and I cant tell which one is port 1 or 4.
6. I'm not enjoying......yet
corbin
join:2013-09-13

corbin

4. Power off
5. Sure, power it up, renew the DHCP lease, whatever you want
6. Enjoy
corbin

corbin

Port 1 should be the top port.