Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

[Laptop] Looking for a new laptop...Recommendations?

I'm looking to replace my Lenovo laptop (I don't want another Lenovo). I want to purchase a non-touch 15"-17" laptop with Win 7 64 bit as the OS. I don't want to spend any more than about $800 on it. I'd like an i5 or i7 processor with an optical drive in it. USB 3.0. Definitely 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Any suggestions? Am I pricing what I want too low?

Edit: I forgot, but I'd like to have 8GB of Ram.
lordpuffer

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I was thinking about this HP:

»store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/ ··· me=specs

It has a Win 7 64 bit processor, and with 8BG Ram it's around $800. I just cannot find if it has USB 3.0 and a 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter. I'd call HP and ask them, but I'd like to see it in the specs. I guess it doesn't matter if it doesn't have an ac WiFi Card, since if I want to use it wireless with my ac router, I could always get an ac dongle.

Edit: I checked with HP, and this laptop doesn't have USB 3.0. Probably doesn't have an ethernet adapter either, for the rep didn't even know if it did.

I would also consider a non touch 20"-23" all-in-one also.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I'm a BIG fan of Dell products. I currently own 3 different models of Dell laptops one of which is 7 years old. The only thing I've had to "fix" on this lappy was a new battery last year. So, here is my suggestion for your consideration, just to get you started.
»www.dell.com/us/p/inspir ··· 8-laptop
I think it meets all of your requirements except the enet is 10/100. Check out the other options, maybe you'll find something you like.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks, but the main requirement is that I have a 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter. I did previously take a look at some Dell machines, however, if I remember correctly, I didn't see one that I could use that came with Win 7. I could be wrong, so I'll look again.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

said by lordpuffer:

I didn't see one that I could use that came with Win 7. I could be wrong, so I'll look again.

The one I linked to comes with Win 7 Pro. I understood the request for gig E which is why I mentioned that this one didn't have it. I'm curious though, what is the main reason you require it?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by aguen:

said by lordpuffer:

I didn't see one that I could use that came with Win 7. I could be wrong, so I'll look again.

The one I linked to comes with Win 7 Pro. I understood the request for gig E which is why I mentioned that this one didn't have it. I'm curious though, what is the main reason you require it?

The reason I need a gig E is because I currently am on a plan with my ISP that is at 100mbps d/l. It's only going to get faster, so I need a gig E to handle it. The PC I get will be wired to my router.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I'm curious why you don't want to get another Lenovo. We use them at work and I have been very happy with mine. I was thinking of getting a Lenovo for my wife so would be interested to hear why you're not considering them.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Oregonian:

I'm curious why you don't want to get another Lenovo. We use them at work and I have been very happy with mine. I was thinking of getting a Lenovo for my wife so would be interested to hear why you're not considering them.

I've had some issues with this one regarding drivers and the Ethernet Adapter. Once I installed better drivers in it for the Ethernet, the mouse starts messing up. I just think that it's time to get another brand. I wouldn't let my experience stop you from buying one for your wife.

I may have to get a desktop or an all-in-one anyway, for I stopped at Staples, OfficeMax, and BestBuy yesterday. None of the stores had a laptop with Win 7 (only 8.1), and none of the laptops had a gig Ethernet.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
iBuyPower? Have you looked at any of theirs?

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Thanks for the response.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

iBuyPower? Have you looked at any of theirs?

Thanks, I'll look at theirs. I've never looked at iBuyPower before.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to Oregonian

Premium Member

to Oregonian
said by Oregonian:

Thanks for the response.

You're welcome.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
I have one of their laptops, and while they are designed for gaming, you should be able to find something with integrated or low-power graphics in your price-range, and I believe they all have gigabit ethernet.

Mine is 4.5 years old, currently on deployment #2, and at least two dozen other work trips that necessitate backpacking it through the airport or on the road.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

I have one of their laptops, and while they are designed for gaming, you should be able to find something with integrated or low-power graphics in your price-range, and I believe they all have gigabit ethernet.

Mine is 4.5 years old, currently on deployment #2, and at least two dozen other work trips that necessitate backpacking it through the airport or on the road.

I have been looking at iBuyPower's website for a while now. I decided to give them a call. Unfortunately, the sales rep said that none of their laptops have a Gigabit Ethernet. Also, none (including their desktops) come through with Win 7 64 bit. All of theirs have Win 8.1 or 8.1 pro. So, I'm still looking for a laptop. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What's wrong with Windows 8? It is better optimized than 7. And that rep must be clueless, because I am pretty sure all their models have 100/1000 Ethernet.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

What's wrong with Windows 8? It is better optimized than 7. And that rep must be clueless, because I am pretty sure all their models have 100/1000 Ethernet.

I'm just very used to Win 7. I heard that Windows 10 is going to be a pretty good OS. I may hold out until that is released.

As for the Ethernet, I can only go by what the rep said. He seemed pretty sure of it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

If you gotta buy something, buy 8.1. You can load the Win7 shell or buy Start8 for $5 and it looks exactly like Windows 7, and you don't have to deal with the metro UI crap. In BF4, I found that 8.1 over 7 gives 5% more FPS and eliminates the micro-stutter and jittery frame lag in 7. YMMV.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I heard that Windows 10 is going to be a pretty good OS. I may hold out until that is released.

If you get Win 8.1, you get a free upgrade to Win10. Not so sure you do with Win7. May want to double check that and keep that in mind.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks to both of you. I guess that I may have to be open to 8.1, or wait for 10 to come out. I still have to see if I can find a laptop (or a very small desktop) that has a Gig Ethernet.

If I purchased a desktop, it would have to sit on my already crowded desk. I had both of my hips replaced, so I can't have a desktop on the floor, for I will not be able to have access to any rear ports.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Chimera CX-9 Gaming Laptop [Refurbished] 3
15.6" Full HD 1920x1080 IPS LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/ Illuminated Keyboard
• IntelĀ® Core™ i7-4710HQ Mobile Processor (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz)
• 8GB [8GB x 1] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM
• 240 GB Kingston V300 SATA-3 SSD -- Read: 450MB/s; Write: 450MB/s
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB GDDR5
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN
• 802.11 b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo
• Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Price: $899

Gigabyte P35Gv2 Gaming Laptop [Refurbished] 2
• Gigabyte P35 15.6" IPS Full HD 1920x1080 Slim Laptop w/ Backlight Keyboard
• 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4710HQ(4x 2.4GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
• 16GB [8GB x 2] 1600MHz DDR3 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus
• 1 TB 7200rpm Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive - Single Drive
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN
• 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi + Bluetooth v4.0 Combo [P35]
• Windows 8.1 64-bit
Price: $899

FANGBOOK III HX6-100 Gaming Laptop
• CYBERPOWERPC FANGBOOK III 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 Display w/ Red backlit keyboard, Li-Ion Battery & Universal AC Adapter
• IntelĀ® Core™ i7-4710MQ Mobile Processor 2.50 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.50 GHz
• 8GB (8GBx1) DDR3-1600 1.35V SODIMM Memory
• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB PCIe (NB-FANG-530)
• 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
Internal Network Card: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
• Internal Wireless Network Card: Standard AW (WLAN802.11a/b/g/n + Bluetooth4.0) Wireless Combo Card Module (Included)
• Windows 8.1
Price: $845

There are also a ton more here, including 17" laptops, for under your price point: »www.xoticpc.com/custom-g ··· 150.html

Like I said, I would bet money that every single iBuyPower laptop has gigabit ethernet. It is standard on nearly every computer made nowadays.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Looking for a new laptop...Recommendations?

Thanks for the research and the links. The sales rep was obviously wrong at iBuyPower. I'm going to look at what's available on both iBuyPower and on Xoticpc and then make a decision.

This Sager has everything that I need. It also comes with Win 7 Pro 64 bit for $130 (you get the disk too) extra. It has a lot of customizable options, so I'll have to look through it carefully. Thanks again.

»www.xoticpc.com/sager-np ··· 843.html

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

1 recommendation

vaxvms to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen

Re: [Laptop] Looking for a new laptop...Recommendations?

If you go with Dell use their Business product line. Personal products purchase can cause unresolvable nightmares. Trust me. Been there. Done that. Got screwed royally. Bend over, grab your ankles, and get ready. Never again. Never. Never. Never. Ever. Ever. Ever.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Just to give an update, I may wait until Win 10 comes out (I know that I can upgrade to it if I get a computer with Win 8.1 ) to get a laptop. It looks like iBuyPower is the place I'm going to get it. I have a big expense coming up real soon (replacing the Timing Belt, Water Pump, Thermostat, Cooling System Flush and all Hoses on a PT Cruiser ), and that's part of my decision. I'll post again when I get a laptop. Thanks again.....

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

1 recommendation

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks for the update.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Glad we could help inform your decision. Let us know when you are back in the market.