85160670 (banned)
"If U know neither the enemy nor yoursel
join:2013-09-17
Edmonton, AB

3 recommendations

85160670 (banned)

Securing the web once and for all: The Let's Encrypt Project

Click for full size
Yeah ..." In case you've been in a cave, you may not have noticed Web security is a mess. Gmail had fits this weekend with sending mail because the mail server tasked with sending messages had an expired security certificate. Before that, a Secure-Socket Layer (SSL) encryption problem that had been hiding in the code since the 1990s opened the door to the FREAK security hole. It's clear the industry needs to get its act together when it comes to web site encryption. The Internet Security Research Group (ISRG) with its Let's Encrypt project."...[ »www.zdnet.com/article/se ··· project/ ]
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl

Not sure this solves anything at all. It's more like Mozilla and a few other parties trying to break into and corner the CA business by offering free certs for a while. Kinda like a drug dealer with free samples.

This doesn't change the underlying problems with CA's, where browsers trust them willy-nilly. Something that I hold Mozilla responsible for, when it automatically adds various Chinese CAs into my browser when I'm not looking.
kirbyte
join:2014-11-06

kirbyte to 85160670

to 85160670
I was under the impression that security wasn't a priority when basic internet structures were designed. From what I've read a lot of the very fundamental ways devices communicate over the internet need to be completely changed to improve security (keep in mind this is my very uninformed and likely ignorant layman view ).

Wouldn't this just be a band-aid solution?

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
quote:
Internet Security Research Group (ISRG), the non-profit entity behind Let’s Encrypt, is pleased to announce our collaboration with The Linux Foundation. The Linux Foundation will provide general and administrative support services, as well as services related to fundraising, financial management, contract and vendor management, and human resources.
»letsencrypt.org/2015/04/ ··· ion.html
quote:
Ubiquitous web encryption is closer thanks to Let's Encrypt
The Linux Foundation's newest collaboration, Let's Encrypt, is a free, automated, and open certificate authority for the benefit of the public. Services like this one are all the more important in today's climate of web traffic interception and privacy invasion. Forbes reports about one such malicious development in China called The Great Cannon and how Let's Encrypt can help.
»www.linuxfoundation.org/ ··· -encrypt

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to 85160670

Premium Member

to 85160670
Encryption is already free and easy with self-signed certs anyone can generate. The trouble is not the encryption--it's the trust.