dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
qposner
join:2003-07-25

qposner

[Content] Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

I currently have Dish and Comcast internet. Would like to drop Dish and give Sling a shot. But, I need locals. Wondering if I can get them in HD from Comcast. Dont need everything else that comes in a package. I cant find the answer on Comcast.com and the last CSR I dealt with online was clueless. Thanks!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Content] Re: Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

Limited Basic is the broadcast-only package. It should usually include HD at no extra charge. I don't know if it includes a full box, or only a DTA or HD-DTA these days.
qposner
join:2003-07-25

qposner

Thanks. Checked with another CSR. $18 for the locals but $10 per box for HD. That comes to $48 and kinda defeats the purpose. Unfortunately, my home is blocked by a large hill so it doesnt look like an antenna will work.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

Again, there is NOT supposed to be an HD fee (HD Technology Fee) for Limited Basic. One box or DTA is usually included. Any additional boxes/DTA's would cost more.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by andyross:

Again, there is NOT supposed to be an HD fee (HD Technology Fee) for Limited Basic. One box or DTA is usually included. Any additional boxes/DTA's would cost more.

I just checked the latest price list that I received, and it's not clear that a "digital converter or adapter" is included with "Limited Basic," as it does state for the "Standard" tier (at least in my market).
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

If the OP's area has encrypted everything (as the majority of CC's area have) then I know that at a bare minimum, he definitely should get 1 (HD) DTA as part of his limited basic service; in my area, it usually includes up to 3 at no charge.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
said by dishrich:

If the OP's area has encrypted everything (as the majority of CC's area have) then I know that at a bare minimum, he definitely should get 1 (HD) DTA as part of his limited basic service; in my area, it usually includes up to 3 at no charge.

Yeah, but notice how they do acknowledge that there's no more Clear QAM in my area, yet still say that an STB, DTA, or CableCARD device is required.

So, do they not provide one of those at no extra charge, or is that only addressing extra outlets/TVs?
dishrich
Springfield, IL

2 edits

dishrich

said by telcodad:

So, do they not provide one of those at no extra charge, or is that only addressing extra outlets/TVs?

To me - & knowing how CC tends to word their tons of disclaimers - the ONLY thing it tells me, is that you indeed HAVE to have (at least) one of these devices to use their TV services.
You THEN have to look at any other disclaimers on ANY costs for ANY of those devices, be it your 1st/primary TV &/or any additional TV's...AS WELL AS depending on your specific TV pkg.

AND let's not forget...it CAN vary from system to system as well...bottom line, the OP really needs to get a hold of an actual, printed pricing sheet for HIS system, that CC normally sends with a bill once a year. Then (most likely) he'll probably have to escalate his request up the CC food chain, to get someone that actually knows how to follow CC's own pricing schedule!
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

1 recommendation

mrschultz02 to qposner

to qposner

Re: [Content] Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

Get the channel lineup for your area, that will tell you if the limited basic tier includes the HD locals.

Even if it does getting a CSR to turn on those channels can be a problem, the code is not turned on by default, so when you activate your box or HD-DTA the HD channels are blocked, forcing you to contact them. It only took me about 15 minutes to get them to do it, but a friend on the other side of town had to call multiple times over 2 days. The CSRs will insist you have to pay $10 for HD even if all the documents from comcast say that you don't.

Might help never to say the word HD to the CSR, I only mentioned the channel numbers I wasn't getting, and said they were on the channel lineup for limited basic...
dishrich
Springfield, IL

2 edits

1 recommendation

dishrich

Re: [Content] Re: Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

OK, so I just looked at my last pricing table from Dec 2014, & after you wade through all the BS declaimers, this is exactly how it is spelled out for limited basic in OUR area:

- limited basic DEFINITELY includes any HD versions of these channels at NO extra charge (basically any/all broadcast HD channels & a couple HD shopping channels)
- for subs that get limited basic as a standalone product (ie: NOT as part of an internet "double-play pkg) there are NO full boxes included as part of this service
- you can have up to 3 total HD OR SD DTA's at NO charge (these would include your 1st/primary DTA, of course)
- if you want more than 3 DTA's, each additional one is only .50 per month
- if you want 1 or more full digital boxes - again either HD OR SD - those are only $2.50 extra per month
- oh yea, let's not forget the (just increased) $3.25 broadcast TV fee (in EVERY TV pkg)

NOW, for example our pricing has a double-play limited basic pkg called internet plus, which DOES include an SD-only digital box (along w/HBO & Streampix) It does not specifically say about any DTA qualifications with this specific pkg...but one would presume you could get 2 (additional) DTA's at no charge on this pkg. (of course you KNOW what happens when you assume)

Again, note these prices on DTA's or converters are ONLY for limited basic subs; the prices are (much) higher, of course, for tiers above limited basic.
logger
join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

logger to qposner

to qposner

Re: [Content] Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

said by qposner:

I currently have Dish and Comcast internet. Would like to drop Dish and give Sling a shot. But, I need locals. Wondering if I can get them in HD from Comcast. Dont need everything else that comes in a package. I cant find the answer on Comcast.com and the last CSR I dealt with online was clueless. Thanks!

If you have only internet from Comcast, you may want to go to Comcast.com or telephone again and ask the CSR if Comcast has a Double Play package with what you want. Where I live, at least at one time, there was a package of internet access and Limited Basic TV for the same price as internet access alone. I believe that in some locations the price of the package was less than internet access alone.

The locals in HD and a HD DTA should be included with Limited Basic TV.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

1 recommendation

rody_44 to dishrich

Premium Member

to dishrich

Re: [Content] Re: Can I get Comcast locals in HD only?

I doubt hbo and streampix is considered a limited basic package only hence i doubt you qualify for all them extra boxes. By your reasoning we would all qualify for three boxes as all of our packages include limited basic. See how it works? limited basic only means limited basic only. Even when the three boxes did apply the three free boxes were for a limited time. Your entitled to one full free box and nothing more.

If i remember correctly comcast agreed to supply three boxes to limited basic subs for 5 years from the time of encryption. While im sure none of us has reached that 5 year mark some are probably getting close at which time just like they started charging for the two free boxes im sure they will be charging for the 3 free boxes.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by rody_44:

... Even when the three boxes did apply the three free boxes were for a limited time. Your entitled to one full free box and nothing more.

If i remember correctly comcast agreed to supply three boxes to limited basic subs for 5 years from the time of encryption. While im sure none of us has reached that 5 year mark some are probably getting close at which time just like they started charging for the two free boxes im sure they will be charging for the 3 free boxes.

The latest policy on this can be found here:

Encryption of Limited Basic Services FAQs
Updated on March 11, 2015 at 1:17 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· cryption
quote:
What will the DTAs cost?
Limited Basic customers who currently do not have equipment on their account are eligible for up to two DTAs at no charge for two years (five years if you also receive Medicaid) if you request DTAs during the equipment offer period at or around the time of encryption.
:
DTAs available under this offer must be ordered during the equipment offer period, which begins 30 days before the date of encryption and ends 120 days after encryption. A notice will be sent to all customers informing them of their eligibility and the start of the offer period for their system.

Otherwise, up to three DTAs are currently available to Limited Basic customers at no charge (fewer if there is other digital equipment on the account). Afterwards the current price for DTAs for Limited Basic customers is $.50 per device per month. All other customers currently pay a $1.99 - $2.99 per month additional outlet service charge for each outlet registered to a DTA.

What happens after two years of receiving my DTA at no cost?
Local market pricing will apply after the two-year period. You will receive a notification 30 days prior to these charges being applied to your account.
logger
join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

logger to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

When the FCC removed the prohibition on encrypting signals of the lowest tier of TV service, the provisions were
(1) This prohibition shall not apply in systems in which:

(i) no television signals are provided using the NTSC system; and

(ii) the cable operator offers to its existing basic service tier subscribers (who do not use a set-top box or CableCARD at the time of encryption) the equipment necessary to descramble or decrypt the basic service tier signals (the subscriber’s choice of a set-top box or CableCARD) on up to two separate television sets without charge for two years from the date of encryption; and

(iii) the cable operator offers to its existing digital subscribers who have an additional television set currently receiving basic-only service without a set-top box, the equipment necessary to descramble or decrypt the basic service tier signals on one television set without charge for one year from the date of encryption; and

(iv) the cable operator offers to all existing basic-only subscribers who receive Medicaid the equipment necessary to descramble or decrypt the basic service tier signals on up to two separate television sets without charge for five years from the date of encryption.
Equipment without charge was only for those who were customers when the encryption started. For those who became customers after the encryption started, different Comcast systems likely have different policies. A recent price list for the Comcast system where I live lists for "Limited Basic Only" a monthly fee of $0.00 for the primary outlet DTA, $0.00 for the 1st and 2nd additional outlet DTA, and $0.50 for the 3rd additional outlet and above DTA.