uniqs

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Uninstall/reinstall Internet Explorer 11.

I need to get rid of Internet Explorer and reinstall. I had some weird infection on this computer and I have taking off a lot of things, but now Internet Explorer doesn't want to start! I downloaded the newest IE 11 standalone installation program, but when I try to run it it tells me I have a newer version already! It won't let it install. So I guess I have to remove the old version first. Is that going to be a problem? It does not appear in the add remove programs section.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It can be found in:
Control Panel|Programs and Features (or Uninstall a Program - depending on your panel is set up)|Turn windows features on or off|Uncheck Internet Explorer 11 and follow the prompts.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Click for full size
I tried that, but I still get the warning
R2

R2

MVM

I even rebooted and got the same message. I think I need to pull off I E in total, if that's possible%u2026
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to R2

to R2
If you're on Win7, you can try starting IE with extensions off from the start menu.

The command is "iexplore -extoff". If it starts, then there is a problem with an addon, such as some adware?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

I tried that, but I still get the warning

Then go to "installed updates" and remove the IE11 update from there first.
The first one I pointed you to is the base install.
I should have remembered that.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks to you both. I may go in this weekend, or I'll have to try these on Monday when I go back to work.

skof
@rr.com

skof

Anon

Obviously uninstalling IE11 will revert Windows to using its previous installed version of IE. If the version of Windows on that computer never had anything but 11, then I do not believe you would be able to remove 11.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

If I can't remove it, then there must be somewhere in the registry that is telling the program that I have installed a more advanced program.

Does anyone know where I need to modify the registry so that the new installation program doesn't think I have a more advanced version?
R2

R2 to Frodo

MVM

to Frodo
Okay, I have unchecked IE under Control Panel / Turn windows features on or off. If I open a run box and enter "iexplore" or "iexplore -extoff", I get a message box is saying "Windows cannot find I explore"
R2

R2 to norwegian

MVM

to norwegian
There is nothing for Internet Explorer under the installed updates.
R2

4 edits

R2

MVM

Well, I tried to use process monitor to figure out where the installation program looks in the registry. I don't think I've had a headache this bad in years! The program accesses is the registry about 1 billion times…. And that's just before the installation progress starts! I couldn't find an easy answer. So I went to the most obvious spot, HKLM\software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\

svcUpdateVersion
svcVersion
Version

I changed them all.
If only life was this simple. That is not the answer.
____

I tried running running sfc and was not the answer. I tried downloading a different, web based installation program (EIE11_EN-US_MCM_WIN764.EXE). This ACTS like it is installing IE, but it runs for WAY too short of time. It displays a message box saying that you installed IE and need to reboot - oops, but when you reboot, IE still does not work!!!

If I type in a Run box: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore -extoff"
--nothing happens. IE never starts.
R2

R2

MVM

I give up! It should be easy to do an overlay reinstallation of IE!! It shouldn't be this much work! I'm going to use system restore and see if I can get it back that way. This is ridiculous.

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Short of going to the cleanup forum and having someone there look into it, you can try the DISM tool.

As it is Win 7? (Win 8 has it installed)
You might need to save an image of the operating system and repair that then use the repaired image to recover from.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ent.aspx
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ism.aspx

»blogs.windows.com/itpro/ ··· th-dism/

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· %29.aspx
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 236.aspx

(There's video, tutorial etc above)
I have not done a lot of research for Win 7 enough to say it will work but I'm sure that you could remove IE11 utilizing this tool so you can reinstall it again.

One of the gurus here might be able to guide you more

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Thanks. I just did a System Restore and got IE back. But it irks me that I could not simply do an overlay install and replace the problems that way. There should be a way for me to tell the Installation program - NO I do not have an more recent version, or even if I do, I STILL want you to install THIS version....

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Glad to hear you have it working again, and yes, it does seem a pain if something of this nature happens.

Can I just say though, if this machine was infected and you still have system restore activated through all of this, you may need to scan again to make sure no restore points are or were infected just to make sure you do not have to start all over again with the cleaning up process.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Oh, believe me I did! Yes it was still infected and I had to go through the whole removal process AGAIN (takes hours to do it all - plus update everything). Plus I installed Avast! on all computers (takes a long time too!). As per other threads I also put on AdMuncher... but ...

Thanks again.