mazilo to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR

Re: gvsip versus simonics gateway

said by RonR:

said by mazilo:

BTW, is this on your OBiXXX device?

There's no device involved.

With NOTHING connected to my Google Voice account, a call to that Google Voice number is answered immediately while Google Voice plays ring-back and tries to forward the call to one of the selected forwarding phones. I just verified this behavior again. This is the way it has always operated.

My understanding is Google Voice is basically a Google Chat. In this case, the Google Voice server answers the request with a ring-back tone while contacting the destination when the DID provider forward the incoming call. In this case, I believe it is FAS.

AllThumbs
join:2006-02-07
Charleston, SC

AllThumbs to gvundecided

to gvundecided
Be advised that Google has thrown a new monkey wrench in the Google Voice setup by making Google Chat vanish from the Google Voice options menu. Here's how to get it back.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

OzarkEdge

said by AllThumbs:

Be advised that Google has thrown a new monkey wrench in the Google Voice setup by making Google Chat vanish from the Google Voice options menu. Here's how to get it back.

Good to know, but isn't this old news, old monkey wrench?

OE

AllThumbs
Charleston, SC

2 recommendations

AllThumbs

Google did it before. Then they put it back. Now it's gone again. Same old Google. Always "improving" things that matter. But you can't beat the price. So just enjoy the torture.
OzarkEdge
join:2014-02-23
USA

1 recommendation

OzarkEdge

said by AllThumbs:

Google did it before. Then they put it back. Now it's gone again. Same old Google. Always "improving" things that matter. But you can't beat the price. So just enjoy the torture.

Ah, that explains it.

Free is nice but I do believe it is possible to give free a bad name... Google is doing it.

OE

Ryan Tilton
join:2010-09-04
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton

Just a quick update, »www.GVsip.com now offers Paypal and Amazon checkout as an alternative payment to credit cards for activating your account. Thanks!
sandy73
join:2015-04-16

sandy73

The 4.99 price is gone? I was looking for signing up $20 seems high to me when you can buy a raspberry Pi for the same cost and get it done.

Ryan Tilton
Seattle, WA

Ryan Tilton to gvundecided

to gvundecided
said by sandy73:

$20 seems high to me when you can buy a raspberry Pi for the same cost and get it done.

The $4.99 price was for early adopters. GVsip offers a convenient and sustainable way to connect sip devices to Google Voice. If you have the ability and time to setup a PI or other system I definitely encourage that. However, lifetime power consumption costs should factor into your cost comparison as well.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to sandy73

Premium Member

to sandy73
said by sandy73:

The 4.99 price is gone? I was looking for signing up $20 seems high to me when you can buy a raspberry Pi for the same cost and get it done.

IIRC, the RPi doesn't come with a power supply nor an enclosure. By the time you furnish it up with a power supply and an enclosure, the total cost will probably exceeds $35 if not double to $40+.

An alternative to an RPi is an inexpensive PogoPlug. Last week, Adorama had a $10 rebate that brought down a PogoPlug Pro P01 / P02 and/or Mobile to below $5 each. Granted, a PogoPlug Pro comes with a128/128 MB RAM/NAND (which is much less than what an RPi has). Also, a PogoPlug Pro is based on a PLXTECH/Oxford ARM CPU whose Linux drivers are not an open-source. However, OpenWRT has a support (partially) for it. In this case, it can be simply turned into a PBX System to handle GV calls with lots of bells.

AllThumbs
Charleston, SC

1 recommendation

AllThumbs

Incredible PBX works great on a PogoPlug of any flavor.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by AllThumbs:

Incredible PBX works great on a PogoPlug of any flavor.

That is definitely a piece of good news for anyone who owns a PogoPlug and wants to turn it into a low-cost Incredible PBX.

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck to Ryan Tilton

Premium Member

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

said by sandy73:

$20 seems high to me when you can buy a raspberry Pi for the same cost and get it done.

The $4.99 price was for early adopters. GVsip offers a convenient and sustainable way to connect sip devices to Google Voice. If you have the ability and time to setup a PI or other system I definitely encourage that. However, lifetime power consumption costs should factor into your cost comparison as well.

But some of us like the convenience of running something like RasPBX on a Raspberry Pi, because we can build our own blacklists, send some or all callers to an IVR or an announcement, or do all kinds of other tricks. In other words, it can do so much more than acting as a Google Voice gateway, though it does that well also.

But even if we take that out of the equation, for those trying to decide between GVSip and the Simonics gateway, you've certainly made the choice a lot easier. I hope you made a tidy sum off of those initial signups because I doubt you'll see many more at the new price.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to Ryan Tilton

Premium Member

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

said by sandy73:

The $4.99 price was for early adopters.

From the day you offered a free beta test sign up (3/30/15) to the day the sandy73's post (4/17/15), only about 3 weeks has elapsed in a normal human time scale. Your OP clearly indicates the price would be $4.99 after the beta test expires. Now, you are talking about $4.99 is for early adopters. So, suddenly the price got hiked to $20. Wow, you probably aced an A++ in business 101 class which is way much better than me (only got a C++).

AllThumbs
Charleston, SC

AllThumbs

In light of the 400% price increase, we're pulling the Nerd Vittles article and install script. One thing you can say about Ryan. He's consistent.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to Ryan Tilton

to Ryan Tilton
said by Ryan Tilton:

GVsip offers a convenient and sustainable way to connect sip devices to Google Voice.

Red flags should go up when a company says they will offer something forever for a flat fee.

How is this in any way sustainable? You will need new people to pay for the early adopters and so on.

Isn't this what is called a pyramid scheme?
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Let's see how long the promise to the early adopters will be honored. It was what I concerned in my earlier post.
twinclouds

1 recommendation

twinclouds to AllThumbs

to AllThumbs
Glad you figured that out.

AllThumbs
Charleston, SC

AllThumbs

Always like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. But we've been wrong before.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

That's for sure. I was their defender on Vestalink before. Now I know better. However, still hope they will keep their promise moving forward.

Ryan Tilton
Seattle, WA

4 edits

Ryan Tilton to gvundecided

to gvundecided
GVsip runs a weekly promotion that expires every Friday to give us the flexibility of variable pricing. GVsip is backed by Vestalink servers so its not going away. Your paying for the GVsip software, and we plan to improve it a lot. The pricing is variable, and we are still seeing sales, so we know its worth the $20. GVsip has some really awesome improvements coming, thats why the price is more than GVGW.

bitseeker
join:2014-03-05

bitseeker to gvundecided

to gvundecided
The Simonics gateway has been working nicely with my ATA and IP phones. Since I already have Vestalink, this gives me an alternative route.
Bogen
join:2011-04-05

Bogen to gvundecided

to gvundecided
How does GVSip and Simonics compare to OBi devices insofar as their reliability and quality in connecting to GV? Have folks found OBi to be more or the same reliable as the newer entrants? And how do people find the comparable reliability and quality between GVSip and Simonics themselves?
VoipisGreat
join:2013-03-25

VoipisGreat

I have been using GV on obi without big issue for years... but just recently I noticed that the GV would got disconnected from the obi and wouldn't reconnect until I reboot the obi. So I'd say for some reason it seems to have gone downhill....

I have a different GV account associated with Simonics and it's been working great. And even if there's any issue Simon is very dedicated to resolve it quickly.