dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_

Re: Google indexed PRIVATE files in router-connected drives

No, that's not the point. No hacking required. If you run a server that will grant access to your files to anyone who asks for access to your files (which is to say, your server grants public access) then by any reasonable definition those files are de facto not private. You might have wanted them to be private, but they are not.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

So if I hack your computer is it public not private.

Seriously, come on.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
Yep fud article. If you want a drive visible online but don't want search engines indexing use a robots txt. Every web site on line right now is on a router connected HD and all weeb sites are is files on said HDS.

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
So they are indexing dynamic iP's for the public as well private enterprize on static....the terms are wrong ...so is the practice. ...well expectation of general public not being private.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

2 recommendations

Nanaki (banned)

Do to the spread of internet access it is not possible to tell a static IP from a dynamic just by the IP any more. Most isps offer static now but pull from the same pool of IPs for both.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

They shouldn't give the general public, I mean private citizens choice s like that. There level of competence isnt up to it. Nice law suit for the guy that screws up configuration too
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to ashrc4

Premium Member

to ashrc4
You've just made up a rule that effectively says no-one can have a public server on a dynamically-assigned IP address. There has hitherto been no such rule. There are mechanisms that as dyndns.org that exist just so people can have servers on dynamically-assigned IP addresses.

Furthermore, it has never been possible to tell a static from a dynamic IP address just by looking at it. You have to ask the authority that handed out the IP address to the system.

ashrc4
Premium Member
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

I always thought that dynamic ip ranges weren't that hard to grasp. .. apply ur talents to why index then make searchable such dave....u appear to be argueing only from a defense perspective just to excuse on this.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by ashrc4:

I always thought that dynamic ip ranges weren't that hard to grasp. .. apply ur talents to why index then make searchable such dave....u appear to be argueing only from a defense perspective just to excuse on this.

The point is that there are no longer any well defined dynamic IP ranges vs static IP ranges (there are databases that claim to be able to do that, but the information is not always very accurate). An ISP can simply make a DHCP reservation, or use a customer's authentication credentials to assign a given customer a "static" IP address that is taken from the same IP address pool that is used to supply IP addresses to dynamic IP address customers. The latter method is how AT&T assigned the "static" IP addresses that I paid for when I used them as my ISP when I had legacy ATM based DSL circuits. Currently, my AT&T U-verse and my Comcast connections are technically dynamic IP addresses, but in practice (due to the way that their DHCP servers work) the IP addresses are static because they won't change unless I change the routers I use (and even then, all I would have to do is change the router WAN MAC address to match the old router, and I would be reassigned the same dynamic IP address again.

Do the DNS A records below identify static or dynamic IP addresses?

C:\>dig dcs-net.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> dcs-net.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 37868
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1280
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dcs-net.net.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dcs-net.net.            180     IN      A       162.255.119.254