Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 recommendation

Sentinel

Premium Member

Can't update office?

I just installed Office 2010 and when I run Windows Update it does not give me any updates for office. Windows 7 by the way.

I have done some searching and it seems that I am supposed to change the settings in update to include updates for other MS products. But here's the thing ... there is no such option visible. If I go to the MS update page it says to click on Windows Update.

So how do I get Windows update to change to Microsoft Update?

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 recommendation

BlueMist

Go into the Updates via the control panel.
When the update control panel window opens, click on change settings.
Then make sure the option "Microsoft Update" has a check mark.

Like the text after the check mark indicates this makes the "normal" update prompts get both W7 and updates for any other Microsoft products you have installed.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Click for full size
I have the same Office version as you and once you enable these settings you will get updates for Office 2010.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to BlueMist

Premium Member

to BlueMist
Click for full size
Sorry. I guess I was not clear above where I said "I have done some searching and it seems that I am supposed to change the settings in update to include updates for other MS products. But here's the thing ... there is no such option visible."
What I meant by that is that I already searched on the internet for an answer to my problem. The answer most people suggested was what you guys suggested. The problem is that when I go that area that setting is not there. There is no such check box there. All I have are the first two checkboxes; recommended updates and who can install updates. The option for more updates is not there.
armed
join:2000-10-20

armed

You have to change the "Never Check for Updates" to Automatically Check for Updates using the drop down arrow. When you do that the Microsoft Program Options will show up.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I've had this numerous times now.
Toogle between "do not update" to "auto update" a couple of times and it works, even reboot each time if nothing happens.
Not sure why this process has become so hard of late.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Really? Wow, that's weird but I'll give it a try. Would I then have to have 'auto update' on for this to stay, or can I still manually update after the setting appears and I change it? Or will the setting disappear if I change it back to manually update?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

It works fine once set - I'm not sure why it happens, I've not looked into it enough, but one Win 7 install kept giving me the loop until this settings changed.

I know some times deleting the Software Distribution folder also fixed it. (Once the right services, win update and bits was disabled, then turned on and rebooted).
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Click for full size
Didn't work
armed

armed

Click for full size
Go here and see what you get:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings

Here's mine.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

That is what I posted in the image above yours. That image was taken exactly where you said to go. Those are the only options I have available. I don't have the additional options that your image shows. Even after I enabled it and rebooted the PC they still did not show up.
armed

armed

Well I'm stumped... wish I could have helped!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Have you run OCAT (Office Configuration Analysis Tool)? It's a Microsoft tool that checks all the configurations on your computer that relate to Microsoft Office. It's very helpful in many cases. There is a threat on it in this forum: »[Info] Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) v2

And here's the Microsoft site to download it: »www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=36852
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

JoeSchmoe007 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I had the same exact problem yesterday. You probably answered "Do not update" when installing Office. I know I did hoping I can change it later but I couldn't. Solution was to update one registry key. I can't immediately find it but I will. Help is on the way.
JoeSchmoe007

1 edit

2 recommendations

JoeSchmoe007 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Found it: »www.sevenforums.com/wind ··· ate.html

Note that some minor changes need to be made for it to work for Office 2010 (forum post is for earlier version)

Solution that worked for me is in a post by asilayasi40 dated 15 Dec 2013 except in my case version of the Office was not 12.0 but 14.0, so full key name is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General

Value name is also different, in my case it is ShownFirstRunOptin. Change it to 0. Then start Office application, MS Word for instance. This will prompt you again if you want to receive Windows Updates. Say "Yes" or whatever option is called (I think there will be a drop-down with 3 values). The you will have these missing options for your Windows Update again.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Yes, I did do that during install I think. Thinking the same as you; that I could change it later. I'll try that fix and let ya know.
Thanks.
Sentinel

Sentinel

Premium Member

Did not work I did the reg key edit and upon opening Word it did ask me and I chose to let it do its thing. But then I opened Windows update and the new options were still not there.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

There is an option in any one office program to turn off/on office updates. Have you tried that?
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Edit update! Success!!! I had to do what you (JoeSchmoe007) said 5 times but it finally took. I ran Windows Update once the way i always did. Let it install a few little updates then rebooted. After rebooting I did the reg hack 4 or 5 times and no dice. Then on the 5th try I think the options appeared.

I am downloading updates as we speak. Thank you so much. Very much appreciated. And thank you to everyone else that tried and looked into it for me even if you didn't come up with the right answer. Gotta love this place.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

I am glad to give back to community. It is funny that I had the same exact problem yesterday.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Did you already activate your Office? I don't think it will display the update option for Office unless you first activate it. Also start Word first, it may actually ask you right there when you start it first whether you want Windows Update to update office as well.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
The fact that it was a little more difficult for me must have something to do with some other setting that I must have changed, because I have the same thing on all my other PCs and none of them have Office on them.

None of them have the check-box for more MS products, so I'm guessing that I must have changed or disabled some setting that blocks or gets rid of that setting and it took numerous tries to reset it and get it back.

On all my other PCs there is no such setting in the registry obviously since they don't have Office installed.