All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Frank32
join:2009-08-07

Frank32

[Equip] Current Available Modems

I have been receiving letters from Comcast that my rental modem is EOL. They gave me contact info to call to get a free replacement but they want to give me a Wireless Gateway.

I don't want the Wireless Gateway because I don't want a WiFi modem and I don't subscribe to the Comcast phone. If I need a replacement, I want a standard nonwireless modem with ethernet out.

Does anyone know if Comcast still gives out standard cable modems? My best bet would be to go to a Comcast Service Center but they closed my local center and now the closest center is an hour drive away. I called to ask what they have in stock but they have a phone that no one ever picks up.

My other option would be to buy my own modem which would save me a lot of money paying the monthly rental fee.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

[Equip] Re: Current Available Modems

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to Frank32

to Frank32
said by Frank32:

My other option would be to buy my own modem which would save me a lot of money paying the monthly rental fee.

Here is a list of supported modems:
»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
You don't mention what tier you are on but if your needs are modest, the SB6141 or the Zoom 5341J are often mentioned as reliable and can handle speeds in the 100+Mbps range.
This one is often cited as a future proof? value,
»www.ptsupply.com/shop/el ··· gle-port

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad to Frank32

MVM

to Frank32
said by Frank32:

I have been receiving letters from Comcast that my rental modem is EOL. They gave me contact info to call to get a free replacement but they want to give me a Wireless Gateway.

I don't want the Wireless Gateway because I don't want a WiFi modem and I don't subscribe to the Comcast phone. If I need a replacement, I want a standard nonwireless modem with ethernet out.

Does anyone know if Comcast still gives out standard cable modems? ...

I would strongly recommend purchasing a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

Most of what Comcast is giving out now are wireless gateways, so they can activate one of their xfinitywifi "home hotspots" on it: »[WiFi] xfinitywifi channel

Depending on your HSI speed tier, one of the best buys right now is the 8x4 Zoom 5341J, as fcfc2 See Profile mentioned, for less than $70 right now on Amazon: »www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· 063K4NN6

It would pay for itself in less than 7 months at the current $10/mo rental fee.

See: »[Equip] Yet another question about buying a modem

As Comcast doesn't rent Zoom modems, you'd have the extra bonus of not having to worry about them "mistakenly" charging you a rental fee for it on your bill on occasion.