join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt

Re: [Install] New Install in Seattle

said by SeattleMatt:

Upstream are all good.

Woke up to no net at all - had to restart the modem - now back to 8 DS again with the 2 QAM's shitting the bed. 9am can't come soon enough.

And you can see my monitor - crap.

The correctable look odd.
OpTiC

OpTiC to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

said by SeattleMatt:

And the local Xfinitywifi hotspot doesn't even work - of course not.

Is it a wireless gateway hotspot or a pole mounted hotspot? If the hotspot is also having problems and it's from a wireless gateway, you're probably not the only one having problems.

He has stated he use a Moto SB 6183 so no he has a modem.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I'm all good until the permanent fix can be done tomorrow. Netcool was amazing and hooked me up with a band-aid for today. Happy Matt. LOL.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

I'm all good until the permanent fix can be done tomorrow. Netcool was amazing and hooked me up with a band-aid for today. Happy Matt. LOL.

At first your experience isn't better when you have Comcast in DE. It was a problem with the correctable.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to OpTiC

MVM

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

said by Darknessfall:

said by SeattleMatt:

And the local Xfinitywifi hotspot doesn't even work - of course not.

Is it a wireless gateway hotspot or a pole mounted hotspot? If the hotspot is also having problems and it's from a wireless gateway, you're probably not the only one having problems.

He has stated he use a Moto SB 6183 so no he has a modem.

I think Darknessfall See Profile meant that as someone else's xfinitywifi SSID'd "home hotspot" or a "public" pole/strand-mounted one.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

I think Darknessfall See Profile meant that as someone else's xfinitywifi SSID'd "home hotspot" or a "public" pole/strand-mounted one.

I know what he meant.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Crew came out and ran a new drop today from a different pole. Looks like i'm in business now. All of the trouble QAM's are now back in range. Only 621MHz is slightly off at 35.9dB - but looking good, considering those were in the 20's yesterday for SNR and sometimes wouldn't even register.

Great team of guys.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

Looking better but what's up with the IPv6?
what do you see here
»www.ipv6forum.com/test_ipv6.php
and here
»test-ipv6.comcast.net/

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Also keep in mind your downstream signals are very low. I would keep a close eye on them with summer coming and hotter temps they could fall out of spec.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
[ SeattleMatt See Profile 's speedtest result showing 92/12 for IPv4, but only 27/12 for IPv6 ]
said by tshirt:

Looking better but what's up with the IPv6?

Well, the IPv6 result does show a "Peak" of 78 Mbps, so it's probably the same kind of IPv6 speed "thing" that others have also experienced/reported recently:

»[Speed] Been awhile since I checked the Comcast speed test site.....

»[IPv6] Still Having IPV6 Speed Issue

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal to Jim721

MVM

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

Also keep in mind your downstream signals are very low.

They are not "very" low. The majority are still in the recommended range and 5 just barely crept into the beginning of the acceptable range.

-7 dBmV to +7 dBmV "Recommended"
-8 dBmV to -10 dBmV / +8 dBmV to +10 dBmV - "Acceptable"
-11 dBmV to -15 dBmV / +11 dBmV to +15 dBmV - "Maximum"
Lower than -15 dBmV & Higher than +15 dBmV - "Out Of Spec."

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

2 recommendations

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

And it's Seattle - it rarely gets hot here!

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by SeattleMatt:

Just be careful when the weather changes, most of the time it causes different signal levels.

I never had cable long enough to say, how much the signal levels changes; but I know for a fact that for xDSL the signals changes alot, and I would believe that is also true for cable as it is also based on copper technology.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Temp changes affecting signal levels usually have a 3dBmV swing which is considered normal. Anything changing more drastically may indicate an issue and not just variation. Given his present levels, a 3dBmV change even lower would still lot push it out of spec.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to Tonice2007

Premium Member

to Tonice2007
said by Tonice2007:

said by SeattleMatt:

Just be careful when the weather changes, most of the time it causes different signal levels.

I never had cable long enough to say, how much the signal levels changes; but I know for a fact that for xDSL the signals changes alot, and I would believe that is also true for cable as it is also based on copper technology.

When I had Comcast, I typically had signals of around 1 dBmV downstream and 43 upstream. During the winter, typically around the high 6-7 range. I remember that during very low temperature days, it would be around 7-9 dBmV and upstream of 40-41. I know that my family member's connection only sways about 3 dB throughout the seasons.

I actually just plugged my modem in and found my signals to be between -3 and -2 which I was surprised to find. My signals swing way too much.

On the other hand, when it comes to my VDSL connection, I see little swing throughout the year based on temperatures.

Guess it depends.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Mine is very stable round the clock.
near or at the blast + bonus speed level, with a 4x4 SB6120
»results.speedtest.comcas ··· 7844.png

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

You are rockin that 4x4. Nice!
I still have my SB6120 in the archive. Never had any issues with it.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Click for full size
In case you all were curious - both tests were better this morning. I admit - I still don't fully understand IPv6... LOL.

Also - not 1 modem log entry since the new drop yesterday.
SeattleMatt

3 recommendations

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Final Post - Extreme 150

Click for full size
Extreme 150
Final post (of mine) for the thread. Since my employer pays for my internet - called in and got bumped up to Extreme 150.

Thanks again for Netcool (2nd time this week) in helping me determine I had a crappy cable going from the modem to the router capping me at 100 down. Swapped it out - and got the results you see in the pic. VERY happy ending to the story.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 recommendations

Mike Wolf

Just wanted to welcome you back into the Comcast fold and glad everything worked out.