spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Uverse New House FTTP Install Questions

I am going to be moving into a new house soon and will be switching back to Uverse for internet. I know that the new house will get FTTP.

The builder did a Cat5e run from the side of the house to the living room. Then from the same box in the living room did a cat5e run to a bedroom upstairs that I will be using as an office. So the living room wallbox has two cat5e lines. Right now the ends of cat5e are not terminated with RJ45.

I am wondering if the Uverse installer will be able to terminate the existing cat5e runs with RJ45 jacks?

Will they have any problem doing that for the living room since it will have two cat5e cables in the same box and will the tech have a wall face plate for 2 RJ45 ports?

The exterior wall that has the cat5e from the builder is also the garage wall.

I am also wondering what things do i need to be aware of to provide power for the install of the ONT?

What are my options for how they can power the ONT?

I have read that the ONT will need to have something like a battery UPS (please correct me on the proper term). Will they be able to mount that on a garage wall?

I am planning on having service installed on May 8th. Will a prem tech doing everything for the install on that same date? or will a line tech come out before hand to run the fiber to the side of the house where the cat5e line is?

Any other details that I may want to know for a FTTP install please let me know

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

Will you be using that "first" jack for any service?

That is sad that a new house has daisy chained Cat 5 runs and not home runs...but whatever

Put your modem at the "first" jack would be my recommendation. Terminate both, and label one as ONT feed and the other Office.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I plan on using the cat5 run from the side of the house to the living room for the uverse service.

I had to beg to have them add a run from the living room to my office upstairs and so daisy chain as the only option. They weren't suppose to add any more cat5e runs.

Will the installer be able to terminate both cat5e runs and put a faceplate on with 2 RJ45 jacks?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

For the power supply, where is your breaker box? The ONT power typically goes next to that for new construction. And there sometimes is even a dedicated outlet for the ONT power. Unless the power wire was preran, a hole will need drilled for the ONT power wire

Most techs should have 2 port faceplates. Many have 3 and 4 port also. Some even carry 6. And RJ-45 Jacks are also stocked. Not an issue there

Most likely, a Fiber tech will come out either the day before or day of and install the ONT and splice the fiber drop. No Inside house access is required to place the drop/ONT. If there is a yard fence, make sure it is unlocked. And make sure the Ped is accessible. The drop will be laid on the ground until the bury crew can bury it, typically in up to 2 weeks
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to nephipower

Premium Member

to nephipower
Do you have a basement?

If yes, Get a 2nd Cat 5e ran to that living room jack. Even if it is billed by the tech @ $55. Worth it to have some spare pairs, as GigE is going to need all 4 pairs from ONT to the RG @ the living room

Milwaukee PT to nephipower

Anon

to nephipower
For both our region, Midwest (Old Ameritech) and SE (old Bell South) the premise tech/wire tech do not touch fiber resulting in two in stallions....

The first is earlier in day for the CIM tech who deals with fiber splice, installs the ONT and Power Supply.
The second is Uverse tech who deals with Ethernet and all inside equioment , generally dispatched at a two or four hour later time frame.... If Uverse tech arrives with no ONT in place and a CIM tech not dispatched the job is returned for future unknown date till other work is completed.

As your in the SW region (SBC) not sure if same policy applies and who touches fiber as each region has different union contracts that cover this.

Tech should have multi jack wall plates and RJ45 jacks with patch cables, no issue there.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Unfortunately no basements in Texas. That is one thing i miss from living in the midwest.

The breaker box is in the garage but not on the exterior wall. It is on the otherside of the 2 car garage.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

What is across the wall from the Power Meter? Probably looking at that general area for the ONT power (if there is an AC outlet accessible in that general location).

Did the builder provide an entrance conduit from the power meter area to the garage and/or attic? I have seen that in no basement FTTP in IL - so new IW and/or power wire can be pulled from that outside wall utility area to the attic and/or garage. But I have also seen it ommitted
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

I think i'll need to take better pictures of the area to assess the power situation.

Also what does IW mean?
nephipower

nephipower to Milwaukee PT

to Milwaukee PT
If my install date is May 8th, will the CIM tech come first?

Then later in the day the prem tech will come to do the inside part of the install?

Also, what does CIM stand for?

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

rtfm to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

That is sad that a new house has daisy chained Cat 5 runs and not home runs...but whatever

Agreed. Always install home runs.
rtfm

rtfm to nephipower

to nephipower
said by nephipower:

Will the installer be able to terminate both cat5e runs and put a faceplate on with 2 RJ45 jacks?

Well, you can do it yourself easily. They even sell keystones at Home Despot....

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr to nephipower

to nephipower
IW = Inside Wiring

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to ILpt4U

MVM,

to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

What is across the wall from the Power Meter? Probably looking at that general area for the ONT power (if there is an AC outlet accessible in that general location).

I thought AT&T is going to PoE for the ONT's so they can avoid the whole issue of placement and finding a power outlet etc.? I guess that development has not actually happened yet.

The other day, I heard that they are looking to eliminate the external ONT altogether and just bring the fiber right into the house to attach directly to an RG or ONT like device that can be mounted in a wiring closet. It would certainly simplify the install and reduce the number of separate components. The only problem is getting fiber into the house. I'm sure they use a tough exterior cable jacket and protectors for burial etc. but would think it would be so easy to shear the fiber if it encounters any right angle bends to enter a hole into the house.

ortizdr
The One the Only
join:2014-01-15
North Richland Hills, TX

ortizdr

Verizon has been running fiber directly into businesses for awhile now. They use the tough fiber to the demarc and then use a fiber cable in sheathing about the size of Cat5. Works really well.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to rolande

to rolande
I remember BrianIan sharing he got the option for PoE for the ONT. It would be nice to be able to do that. I believe him mentioning something along the lines as that potentially not being as stable solution or something like that.

Could someone can chime in about the availability and stability of doing PoE option?

I am also planning on using Brian's guide to bypass the AT&T RG by using the Netgear GS108E switch with vlan capabilities.

If I plan on using my own router will I then be unable to use PoE?

iRob
join:2014-08-19
Mckinney, TX
MikroTik RB3011 UiAS-RM
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
ARRIS SB6183

iRob to rolande

to rolande
I thought they had the option for PoE, according to some info on this thread: »U-verse GigaPower in Apex, NC 8th post, he says PoE was an option.

If they eliminate the external ONT would be great(including the bulky power supply), similar to Google Fiber with their Fiberjack. Although, doesn't one of the RG's have a WAN port for fiber?
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

said by brianlan:

Maybe I should further clarify, the PoE solution would be from the use of an additional ethernet (CAT5, 5e or 6) wire (a single pair from the four). Both power options require the use of the supplied AT&T power supply which contains a backup battery. In my case I have two drops of CAT6 located at the NID. I decided against the use of the other available CAT6 wire since it would have to be dedicated to power. Why do that since I could mount the power supply in the closet within 5 feet and use a higher quality cable for power to the NID. It was advised by the installer to not use the PoE solution if it could be avoided, which it could in my case.

If i understand correctly in order to use PoE it would require a 2nd cat5 run, which I don't have available to use. I would have expected PoE could use some of the existing pairs in the cat5e run like what a remote AP would do.

It sounds like I would need to go the dedicated power option.

iRob
Mckinney, TX

iRob

You can use PoE and still utilize all pairs. Although, dedicated power option might be the preferred method anyways.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Does using AT&Ts PoE solution require the use of their RG?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to rolande

Premium Member

to rolande
I have never seen an ONT powered via PoE. Can it be done? I don't know. The ONT has dedicated power terminals on it for a dedicated Power Wire

From what I understand, Google Fiber has no outdoor ONT -- basically a splice box outside for the drop/entrance ground to connect to the Fiber IW to feed their home gateway/media box/whatever you want to call it

And Verizon uses Desktop ONTs as well, typically in MDU situations, supposedly

And then there is the tiny little Fiber IW Verizon will use:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· SJSS3aA8

So it would not surprise me at all to see the outdoor ONT eliminated. You do still need a splice point of some sort, though. Incoming utilities still need to be grounded (yes, I know, the glass of Fiber does not conduct, but the metal strength member that is used at the support strand for aerial, or the trace wire for buried, needs to be bonded to ground)
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016

The way that user described how they were using PoE, wasn't actually PoE. It sounded to me like a tech used a spare Cat5 line as a power line instead of running a new power line.

alchav
join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

alchav to rtfm

to rtfm
said by rtfm:

said by ILpt4U:

Agreed. Always install home runs.

I agree, new homes should come with Structured Wiring now or at least have it as an added option. I've had two new homes within 15 years and both have had Structured Wiring, one was an option the other standard. I strongly feel it's a must for new homes.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger to nephipower

to nephipower
I think it would be cool for AT&T to get rid of the ONT and NID and just run the Cat 5 or 6 cable right to the RG. Just one less thing to go down not having an ONT. Or would they still need a NID? However their still is the RG going down.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

said by nephipower:

If my install date is May 8th, will the CIM tech come first?

Then later in the day the prem tech will come to do the inside part of the install?

Also, what does CIM stand for?

This question got buried, can someone please answer this question above?

iRob
Mckinney, TX

iRob

CIM comes first, then the prem tech does the inside part. For what CIM stands for, I would not know, just aware that CIM installs ONT and does outside work, prem tech does the rest.
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen

Core Installation & Maintenance.
nephipower
San Antonio, TX

nephipower to iRob

to iRob
Cool, just to clarify will CIM come on May 8th or before the scheduled install date?
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen

Dispatch is supposed to dispatch 2 days prior to install (doesn't ever seem to happen this way though here). I've always seen them dispatched same day, just prior to install 90% of the time. Usually, if CIM hasn't dispatched by the time I get to the prem, I will hang the ONT myself after finishing inside work just to speed up the process. Some will return the ticket and return later. Depending on who you get.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U to Craiger

Premium Member

to Craiger
said by Craiger:

I think it would be cool for AT&T to get rid of the ONT and NID and just run the Cat 5 or 6 cable right to the RG. Just one less thing to go down not having an ONT. Or would they still need a NID? However their still is the RG going down.

Need a point of Demarcation as well as a point of electrical bonding & grounding at the main electrical service entry, per Electric Code. Does it have to be a NID/ONT per say? No (unless local regulatory bodies require a NID/ONT). But you do need some sort of splice point that the conductors have electric shock/overload protection. A NID/ONT is typically a great place to do that at, and is at least partially designed for that purpose

Also, for Maintenance purposes, it really does make sense to have a splice/break between what is Service Provider owned and what is Customer owned. If it were solid wire from the pedestal/pole straight to your modem, all the sudden in-house access is needed to replace a service wire/drop damaged by human/animal/critter action/weather/etc. No house access needed when no element of that wire goes inside the house