Search similar:

uniqs
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
join:2002-06-05
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

Terrible jibberish/pixelization in inserted commercials

I've noticed that some local inserted commercials on CNN/Fox News (probably other channels as well) are often scrambled/pixelized/whatever you want to call it to the point that they are unwatchable. If I'm watching the HD channel and switch to the SD channel, I notice that it's a different commercial and not scrambled. I thought it was only on the HD channels, but I recorded something from the Fox News SD channel earlier and it's got a scrambled commercial. I can't imagine that I'm the only one who has this problem. Does Verizon care about this? Is there any chance of having them fix it? I'm in Westchester County, NY.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

Have you reported it to them? Either the Verizon Direct forum on this site or chat or hit them up on twitter @verizonsupport
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

Click for full size
I hadn't but just did. Given that I've had this problem for a while, I'm surprised that it has not been fixed, but maybe people don't care enough to report it (it's just a commercial we're missing, not impacting my viewing the actual programming, so no big deal).

I took a picture of my TV while this was happening and have uploaded it here, so others can see what I'm talking about. It's on an SD set, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.
ronsc1985
join:2004-07-07
Manassas, VA

ronsc1985 to MisterBill

to MisterBill
Same thing happens to me on and off. It also happens with VOD at times. I'm in Northern Virginia. One would think the advertisers would demand this be fixed or get their money back.

Most times when the VOD is in this condition I reboot the box, but since the problem is just every now and then I can't say for sure this fixes it.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

1 edit

MisterBill

In the case of the commercials, it goes away as soon as the regular programming resumes, so it sounds like a different problem than your VOD issue. No response yet from Verizon Direct.
ronsc1985
join:2004-07-07
Manassas, VA

ronsc1985

In general pixelized video occurs because of insufficient S/N ratio to allow mostly error free quantization of the input signal. I suspect both problems are caused by a sub standard data stream from a source different then the normal channel source. Both local ads and VOD fit that scenario.

Stankyest
@verizon.net

Stankyest

Anon

Why would you care if a commercial is pixelated? I DVR almost everything to avoid commercials. As far as I'm concerned, a pixilated commercial is an improvement over one that isn't. Commercialization in this country has become absolutely ridiculous.
MisterBill
Verizon FiOS
Yorktown Heights, NY

MisterBill

Because not everyone DVR's everything, and it's annoying when the gibberish comes on TV. Although I will say it doesn't bother me as much as that 2 minute home security company commercial that I see on the local channels. Those REALLY annoy me. That one I change the channel from or FF if it's DVR'ed.