spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robostig
join:2015-04-15

robostig

Help me analyze my time warner bus. class smoke ping results

Click for full size
Please help me analyze my time warner bus. class smoke ping results. I'm having some trouble with VOIP call quality. I'm not also not exactly sure how to analyze the results.
robostig

robostig

Click for full size
Attached another image
Will_M0
Premium Member
join:2007-06-07
Dallas, TX

Will_M0 to robostig

Premium Member

to robostig
What do your ping times and packet loss look like to your local CMTS. I'd start with that first to make sure your node is not oversubscribed. A small percentage of packet loss from geographically disparate servers isn't exactly a smoking gun.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by Will_M0:

What do your ping times and packet loss look like to your local CMTS. I'd start with that first to make sure your node is not oversubscribed. A small percentage of packet loss from geographically disparate servers isn't exactly a smoking gun.

This has nothing to do with the node. It's a problem with a calling provider.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to robostig

Mod

to robostig
Click for full size
Here is 6 days of my line, it isn't great, it has been better, but I have no issues with VOIP.

A little bit of "smoke" is ok. From 3 spots you're looking for a daily rise in latency or a simultaneous chunk of badness and there isn't anything on your graphs except for a small amount of irregular noise.

If there are problems like tiny outages cutting off calls then they're too short for smokeping to see, it only does a test every 20 minutes which is good for picking up daily patterns or much larger issues only.