spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RKM
@comcast.net

1 edit

RKM

Anon

[Install] Have to run underground cable from house to pole and have a ?

Can you please let me know if RG11 is what is normally used to run underground from house to poll it's 130 ft. The cable company told me we had to purchase RG11 and run in as normal through PVC piping underground, then a local cable guy told me that he's never heard of the company requiring RG11 that they always use RG6 under 300 ft

If anyone knows please advise… thank you…. PS all the RG6 is run throughout the framing already, so that would be another question I suppose if we have to use RG11 underground can it be easily connected to the inside cable RG6?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[Install] Re: Have to run underground cable from house to poll and have a ?

said by RKM :

Can you please let me know if RG11 is what is normally used to run underground from house to poll it's 130 ft. The cable company told me we had to purchase RG11 and run in as normal through PVC piping underground, then a local cable guy told me that he's never heard of the company requiring RG11 that they always use RG6 under 300 ft

From what's been said previously on this forum, runs of over 200 feet would usually have too much loss for RG-6 cable, and that RG-11 is used for distances up to 300 to 350 feet. Some posters had reported that anything over 200 feet would normally require QR/hardline.

See: »[Connectivity] What is involved in Comcast extending coverage ar
said by RKM :

PS all the RG6 is run throughout the framing already, so that would be another question I suppose if we have to use RG11 underground can it be easily connected to the inside cable RG6?

Here's some good threads that discuss working with and terminating RG-11 cables:

»Questions about RG11 cablling vs RG59 and RG6?

»[Connectivity] Help needed ID'ing this cable and sourcing a connector for it

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

1 recommendation

maxbrando to RKM

Premium Member

to RKM
said by RKM :

If anyone knows please advise… thank you…. PS all the RG6 is run throughout the framing already, so that would be another question I suppose if we have to use RG11 underground can it be easily connected to the inside cable RG6?

Yes it can easily be connected, the cable company will terminate the rg11 with a f connector that they will then connect to a standard ground block. and then from there they will connect it to your internal wiring. The rg6 inside will work fine(even a good rg59 should work), In most cases running rg11 inside (where flexibility is most important) will cause problems either it will get bent to sharply and ruin the cable or if you connect rg 11 to your equipment it is so stiff that if you accidentally snag the cable you will most likely break the f-connector off of your equipment.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to RKM

Premium Member

to RKM
I would use RG11 in the PVC. Losses are a lot less and terminations are not a problem. Heck if it is wrong cable, and it is in PVC, just pull it out and pull RG6 behind it.

The bigger and more important question: what size PVC are you planning to drop in the trench? You will only get one easy shot at this.

RKM
@comcast.net

RKM

Anon

Going to use 1 1/4" PVC
RKM

RKM to maxbrando

Anon

to maxbrando
Thank you!

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to RKM

to RKM

Re: [Install] Have to run underground cable from house to pole and have a ?

Do yourself a favor, leave a drag behind, when all said and done. Dont do 90degree bends, either.

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt to RKM

to RKM
comcast here just requires that you put in the conduit with a pull string.

They pull their own RG6 or 11 depending on the distance.

RKM
@myvzw.com

RKM

Anon

Yes...I was told the same thing when I called to get Comcast out to hook it up....then got a call from the Comcast installation tech...and he informed me that they don't.

Honestly feel like he just didn't feel like working. Who knows!

cralt
join:2011-01-07
CT

cralt

I would call back. The tech prob just didnt have the UG 11 on his truck and long pulls work better with 2 people. Make sure the CSR notes on the work order that you need an underground drop pulled.

Every new build here gets 2 conduits with a pull rope. One for Catv and one for the telco. The gray plastic electrical conduit is so cheap might as well do 2 once you have the ground open. »www.homedepot.com/p/JM-e ··· 196693?N

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01

maxbrando to RKM

Premium Member

to RKM
Do you even need conduit if you use direct burial coax?
I'm pretty sure every cable drop I have seen where I live was buried directly in the ground without the need for conduit.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

You dont need conduit but it only makes sense to use conduit. Use sweeps in place of 90s to make any future replacement easy.

FWIW, With 11/4 inch conduit you can fit that new fiber line next to the rg11 in the future.