uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Samsung S5 Verizon 5.1 when?

I'm one of those people that is waiting for 5.1 and not updating my S5 to 5.0 on Verizon because I have heard of problems. I just want to go straight to 5.0.1 or 5.1.

As far as I can tell the current update that is available is 5.0. So how will we know when Verizon is offering the >5.0+ upgrade? Is there a way to know?
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

verizon did release a new build to the s5 about 2 weeks ago.

»www.droid-life.com/2015/ ··· -update/

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
According to »samsung.youmobile.org/ they are rolling out 5.0.1 as well.

I doubt you will see 5.1 any time soon.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
Yep, they released a new update but it is not 5.0.1 or 5.1. It is a Verizon "fix" update so it is still basically 5.0 with a few fixes that some say don't work.

From Verizon:
"Do to the multiple ongoing problems with the original Lollipop 5.0 version S5 update, certain software program changes have been made by some major carriers, Verizon is one I've been told. Forced auto install of version 5.0 release 2 of Lollipop will not take place, it can be deferred. It will however continue to alert and display in the notification panel, simply tap and skip the software update. Do not tap ON UPDATE unless you desire to install. While it’s a known fact that release number 2 WILL NOT solve the many problems that came with the first 5.0 release, it does address some issues. Two main issue are the memory leak and battery usage problem that were included in the first 5.0 version. While not fully corrected there has been slight improvement made in this second release. All S5 user that installed the first 5.0 Lollipop update must wait for Lollipop version 5.1.0 update to regain more normal use of their S5 phone again. There has been NO official word or date given for a 5.1 update by Verizon, Samsung or Google. BOC4 is the latest current update release to Galaxy S5 users."

So it says to wait for 5.1 which infers that there will be a 5.1. But so far this "half an update" update is all they are offering. There is no official 5.0.1 or higher yet.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

»www.sammobile.com/2015/0 ··· nd-more/

Looks like the s6/edge will get it first which is no surprise. My s6 is fluid and run great. But 5.1 on my N6 is smoking hot also.

HereToHelp3
@charter.com

HereToHelp3 to Sentinel

Anon

to Sentinel
you're not getting 5.1 anytime soon
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Sentinel

to Sentinel
The "fix" update was a godsend for me. My phone was spontaneously rebooting 5-6 times per day after the first 5.0 update. At that time I called Verizon and they sent me another S5. However, although that phone started out decent on 4.4.3, it would reboot 2-3 times per day. So I updated to 4.4.4, which was a major disaster and led once again to 5-6 spontaneous reboots a day.

As I was considering getting another phone, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try the updated 5.0. Wow, what a difference. I installed it yesterday around noon and it's been working ever since without a single reboot and no battery problems. My phone is as stable (for now) as it was when I first got it about 8-9 months ago.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

This so strange. Each individual person seems to have a different story to tell. This is just really weird considering that this is exactly the same hardware for all of us. We should all have the same exact experience.
I am on 4.4.4 and my phone is awesome. Battery lasts forever and it runs like a Swiss watch (used to back in the days of Swiss watches).
I am terrified of going to 5.0 because I can't imagine it working any better.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I agree. It's bizarre. But I'm going on 48 hours with not a single reboot. 4.4.4 was horrendous for me, but now on the new 5.0 I feel like I did when I first got the phone. I love it again.

I personally think it's the apps we run that cause the problems. Bizarre interactions between the various apps, OS, etc. are the culprits I'd guess.

I don't feel 5.0 is such a big difference that I'd upgrade if I were you with a nice working phone. The only reason I did it again was because I was going to give up. Just a sheer desperation move.

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550 to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Why don't you update to lollipop and see if you like it?
If you feel that Kitkat was better, you can always downgrade to it.
You're not with apple anymore, with android you can downgrade to older versions freely!

The reason I say this is because I have a bunch of friends who have already updated to lollipop and are thoroughly enjoying it.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I did not know that I could downgrade. That does change things.
I don't have a lot of apps so I doubt there would be any conflicts if apps could be the root of problems that people have.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

If you don't mind blowing stuff away, then downgrading is relatively easy. I did it a bunch of times. The only troubling thing for me is that after I started having problems with the first 5.0 upgrade, I downgraded to stock. It still remained unstable for some reason. I tried subsequent (re)updates one by one trying to find one that would be stable. None of them were. So at that point I upgraded it back to 5.0 and then had Verizon exchange it.

If you don't have many apps, it seems like you should be okay. Head over to XDA to find out how and to get help if you need. A few simple downloads and you should be on your way.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

after I started having problems with the first 5.0 upgrade, I downgraded to stock. It still remained unstable for some reason.

That doesn't sound like you can go back then. Sounds more like once you upgrade a downgrade may or may not work.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

No, the downgrades work fine. Many others had/have success and continue to have it. I still think it was a software issue.

Since I had my device rooted (and it worked fine), I downgraded several times as needed to keep root and upgrade to the newest versions of Kit Kat as they came out. Never a problem. For the original 5.0, I downgraded to stock and decided I would no longer keep root and did OTA upgrades to 5.0. That's when the phone became cranky. At that point I went ahead and went back to stock and did OTA upgrades to 4.4.3. Even that didn't fix the phone. So I OTA'd again to 5.0 and replaced the handset.

The replacement handset came with 4.4.3. It was pretty unstable. 2-3 reboots each day. I thought 4.4.4 would be better so I did an OTA to that version. 5-7 reboots a day, easy. Just as I was about to give up, the new 5.0 saved me. 3.5 days without rebooting the phone and battery life is better than ever.

Tornado15550
join:2012-12-16
Canada

Tornado15550 to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

It still remained unstable for some reason.

I have a couple of questions.
Did you perform a factory reset after the downgrade? Did you make sure you got the correct firmware for your phone?

I have a feeling it was unstable because of the root. Samsung phones have a locked bootloader and a software called KNOX which trips when using root. A tripped Knox (0x1) makes it harder to restore back to official firmware because the container is no longer "secure".

@Sentinel
Also I just tried out restoring back my friends phone to KitKat and everything works okay. His OTA lollipop update started downloading almost immediately too haha
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I'm very familiar with this stuff. The Knox counter was never tripped. Towelroot, at least on the Verizon S5, does not trip Knox. I checked each time. The firmwares were all official Verizon ones.

And yes, I did a factory reset after each and every firmware upgrade and downgrade that I did. The phone was wiped clean every time.

Again, I think it was some incompatible program I was running.

This is the thread that I reference: »forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2784880

HereToHelp3
@charter.com

1 recommendation

HereToHelp3 to Sentinel

Anon

to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

I don't have a lot of apps so I doubt there would be any conflicts if apps could be the root of problems that people have.

You can only downgrade if you root your phone. If you mess up you'll turn it into a paperweight. Also rooting negates any warranty or insurance you have.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Oh. Well that makes a huge difference. My phone is not rooted and I have no intention of doing it so I guess that negates that.
Thank you very much.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to HereToHelp3

to HereToHelp3
said by HereToHelp3 :

said by Sentinel:

You can only downgrade if you root your phone. If you mess up you'll turn it into a paperweight. Also rooting negates any warranty or insurance you have.

warranty with samsung only. HTC and Moto will take back rooted and romed phone per there warranty terms. As long as its hardware that has failed.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to HereToHelp3

to HereToHelp3
Not true at all. The Verizon S5 lets you downgrade using Odin. Try reading the thread. I've said over and over that I downgraded from OTA 5.0.

Rooting does not negate the warranty unless you trip Knox. Otherwise there is no way to tell that the phone was rooted. In addition, it's very hard to brick the phone. Towelroot works perfectly fine. Read through XDA and there are very few reports of bricking.

Clueless fear mongering.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

bricking a phone with odin is almost impossible since its a tool samsung uses. There is also a difference between a hard brick and soft brick. Samsung has since plugged the holes that allowed towelroot to work. Hence the verizon and ATT versions of the note 4 alpha and the s6/s6 edge cant be rooted.

I will also state I hate safestraping to load a rom brings back droid x memories lol.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

The S5 still can be rooted once you revert back to NCG. Use Odin to roll back and then use Towelroot. From there, upgrade to the various newer firmwares as desired using Odin. Root will hold. In fact, the new 5.0 OTA doesn't kill root.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

OH I know it can still be rooted. My problem is the phone was flop. I love my s6 even tho its the ATT version.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
What is this 'odin' of which you speak?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to GLIMMER

to GLIMMER
Yeah, the S6 is definitely the one to get. On the other hand, mine's a corporate phone with a year to go and I don't want to pay for one on my own. Once the contract is up I'll get whatever latest good phone is out there. I think the S6(e) raises the Android ante.

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to Sentinel

to Sentinel
said by Sentinel:

What is this 'odin' of which you speak?

Software for installing firmware.

»forum.xda-developers.com ··· =2784880
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Ah, OK. Thanks.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned) to Sentinel

to Sentinel
Out of curiosity, if a person has an unlocked phone and uses it on a provider that only offers 4.4.4 and then uses it on a provider (different SIM) that offers 5.0.1, will there be any issue going back and forth if the phone is updated to 5.0.1?
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

There shouldn't be. The radio bands will remain the same.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to fartness

to fartness
said by fartness:

Out of curiosity, if a person has an unlocked phone and uses it on a provider that only offers 4.4.4 and then uses it on a provider (different SIM) that offers 5.0.1, will there be any issue going back and forth if the phone is updated to 5.0.1?

that depends on the phone and the oem that made the phone and the carrier it came from if it was a carrier phone.