All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aj75
join:2015-02-16
USA

aj75

Gigapower Residential Gateway.... Distributing Internet and TV through one switch?

I am in Austin and thinking about getting Gigapower service. The other day a neighbor of mine who has U-Verse, but not Gigapower service, told me that if I want to distribute both Internet and TV to multiple locations from the Residential Gateway that I should use two separate switches/routers. One switch for Internet data and another switch for TV. Is this true? Why?

I would really like to use the Gigpower Residential Gateway and connect to one single switch for both Internet and TV. I already have my house wired for Ethernet through one switch and I don't want to have to crawl through the attic and install new Ethernet cables for an additional switch. Does anyone have any knowledge if using one switch for both Internet and TV is ok for AT&T Gigapower?
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

Get the Netgear GS108E that supports IGMP v3 and that will solve your problem
aj75
USA

aj75

I really need a switch with capacity for about 12 ports, preferably a little more.
vdog0341
join:2006-06-16
Raleigh, NC

vdog0341 to aj75

to aj75
The NV589 works fine. If you have ethernet throughout your home just get a smart switch that supports IGMP v3. and put the rest of your home network behind it. Leave the ATT stuff on the NV589.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

You don't have to have separate gear. You just need gear that is capable of delivering both. Quality vs. Quantity.

I run all of mine on the same switch. Granted it is a 24 port 10/100/1000 switch that has a 48Gig backplane. I do keep the traffic on separate VLANs as I do not carry the set top multicast traffic across my internal router. So all the TV traffic stays on an external segment but it just happens to be bridged across the same switch I use for my internal network.
aj75
USA

aj75

Hey everybody. Thanks for the info. I think I'm going switch shopping soon to replace the old klunker I just gave to my sister. I'd like to get a dumb switch because I don't want to pay for an expensive managed switch since I probably wouldn't use even half of its features. Of course, I need the switch to also have IGMP v3 and have lots of ports too.

Is there a dumb switch that is capable of IGMP v3 and isn't ultra expensive? does anyone know if the 16-port Netgear GS 116e is capable of IGMP v3 like the smaller equivalent 8-port Netgear GS108e?

Oh and btw, I still want my TV traffic to be on the same switch and home network as all my other stuff just for simplicity sake. Is this still doable? And what AT&T stuff should I leave connected to the NV589 gateway, but not connected to the switch? I don't get that part.

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY
ARRIS BGW210-700

gadawg

I have this switch;

UPVEL US-8G 8-Port Gigabit Metal Switch for Computer and Home Entertainment Networks with Green Ethernet Saving Features

Bought from Amazon. I have it connected to the NVG589 and have a wireless STB connected to it plus a PS3, another PC, apple TV, an AVR, and a blu ray player. I haven]t had any problems with it.

Amazon has a 16 port one as well.

UPVEL 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch for Business and Home Entertainment Networks (US-16G)
Atl WT
join:2015-04-15
Marietta, GA

Atl WT to aj75

to aj75
DVR should be directly connected to the rg and I highly recommend the wap as well they can sometimes have ip conflict issues when behind a switch.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by Atl WT:

they can sometimes have ip conflict issues when behind a switch.

That one I don't get.
What is the situation where a you can have an ip address conflict caused by an unmanaged switch? It sounds counter intuitive to me.
aj75
USA

aj75 to Atl WT

to Atl WT
said by Atl WT:

DVR should be directly connected to the rg and I highly recommend the wap as well they can sometimes have ip conflict issues when behind a switch.

I kinda don't get that one either. Why would there be an IP address conflict even if I have a whole bunch of things like PCs, Roku, Xbox, and a DVR all connected to the same network on a switch? I don't want to connect the DVR straight to the Residential Gateway because the main TV is sooooo far away from the gateway. And what do you mean "wap"?

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by aj75:

And what do you mean "wap"?

The wap is the wireless access point for the receiver - the VAP2500, etc.
muegen
join:2015-02-08
tx

muegen to Atl WT

to Atl WT
said by Atl WT:

sometimes have ip conflict issues when behind a switch.

Perhaps you are confusing Layer2 and Layer3 here?

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY
ARRIS BGW210-700

gadawg to Atl WT

to Atl WT
said by Atl WT:

I have been told connect direct to the rg and a switch is ok. My wireless stb works fine connected to a switch. It probably depends on the switch.

djtim21
It's all good
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Lake Villa, IL

djtim21 to aj75

Premium Member

to aj75
Reading through the entire thread - the only time you would ever run into a conflict is if you were for some reason running 2 DHCP servers (the NV and switch).

I've seen where some folks have used a wireless router (Typical Netgear/D-Link/Linksys) as a switch and they forget or don't know how to disable DHCP - causing issues (duplicate DHCP addresses). As for a managed switch, you would have to turn that feature on.

Also - I read earlier in the thread, why would you want to vlan off traffic between Tv and data? I'm just asking if there's a benefit - I've got a Cisco 3700 switch just sitting here figured I could tinker a bit and I just don't know if it's worth playing with it or not.