uniqs

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

BSAIII

Quasi Ala carte is here!

»www.engadget.com/2015/04 ··· stom-tv/

I bet to get the channels I want will cost just as much as the Ultimate package I have now.

Kman2015
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Kman2015

Anon

Re: Ala carte is here!

Very interesting. I watch too many different channels, so probably not good for me, but may save others money.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Extreme HD is $65/month... unless I am missing something, people are gonna be paying more for less....
chewypgh
join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

chewypgh

What I think you're missing is that the pricing for the new "a la carte" plans include internet (25/25?). It's not just TV.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to BSAIII

to BSAIII
I currently pay $89.99 for Ultimate HD that includes every channel including all premium channels. With this a-la-carte package I would be paying over $100 and that doesn't even include the premiums.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to BSAIII

to BSAIII
Please fix the topic. This isn't a la carte, it's miles away from a la carte. It's just a move back to the early days of digital cable where you got your basic lineup, and everything on top of that was sold in different tiers. Some providers like Cox still offer things that way. There's nothing new or innovative here.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to BSAIII

to BSAIII
Here's the packs

»recode.net/2015/04/16/ve ··· -closer/

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

said by chewypgh:

What I think you're missing is that the pricing for the new "a la carte" plans include internet (25/25?). It's not just TV.

Yup, that's what I was missing.

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Re: Quasi Ala carte is here!

Another question is will Frontier honor any of this?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Most likely, no. Maybe if you had it before you were sold off (TX, CA, FL) but most likely, knowing Frontier, no.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII
I think it nothing more than smoke and mirrors. The will package the channels in such a way that you'll really be giving up a lot to drop down. But I will still check it out to see if I can save money.
jeremyobi
join:2004-05-29
Bethesda, MD

1 edit

jeremyobi

Well, I for one hope they don't delete fios tv local plan at least not this year. I have a one year bundle discount under this new plan I would have to play $74 base rate instead of $65 total with taxes (currently) to get what I have now... And then add 20+bucks to rent boxes then add extra 10 bucks in junk taxes versus 2 bucks now.. I'm right back to around $104 versus 65.96 total I pay now so I agree with you about smoke.

A lawyer friend who claims to have talked with hbo's lawyers ("At a bar"-- smells fishy) told me hbo is pushing verizon to bundle hbo now with broadband for $55 out the door.. I don't believe my friend, he may be full of it. He says they will announce in late June-- broadband semi standalone with hbo now.. I don't believe him, but I just post here for debate..

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

HBO Now is trying to tie in with providers, so far Cablevision offers it.
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus to BSAIII

to BSAIII
I am curious to see the full pricing comparing my plan to the new options. Based off the one link I would still need the sports pack since I watch UFC on FS1 and FS2, but I could remove the Sports Plus pack. I would also be able to drop the Kids and possibly the News and Info. Of course knowing my luck, each pack will have one station we watch so keeping Ultimate will be cheaper.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy

That and seeing a full list of the channels that each pack comes with....

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Also if you can get it w/o internet...
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

And I would assume that one will need at least 1 DVR with this new package. Which they did not say, I believe. How else, would one access these channel then? Not all HDTVs have WiFi, or Ethernet.

There is not like an app on a Smart TV to access this, you know?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

2 edits

matcarl

Premium Member

Of course you need boxes, it's the same set-up as now, only different TV packages to choose from. It says in the fine print, does not include fees and equipment charges. Boxes are always separate, they aren't in the triple play prices either. It's extra.
matcarl

matcarl to Branch

Premium Member

to Branch
said by Branch:

Also if you can get it w/o internet...

It's cheaper to get it with internet. If you had internet from another ISP, it would be more than what Verizon is offering with the TV service, and not many people want TV & internet from two different sources unless you have satellite for TV.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to matcarl

to matcarl
Once this new Custom TV settles down and more details emerge, I am interested to see what exactly the similarities and differences are between: this new Custom TV, the Select TV, and the Local TV packages.

That would be interesting to see them side by side.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

I agree.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to jeremyobi

to jeremyobi
They
said by jeremyobi:

Well, I for one hope they don't delete fios tv local plan at least not this year.

They can't delete Fios TV local

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

Click for full size
TomF RI
join:2015-01-26
Charlestown, RI

TomF RI to ansky

to ansky

Re: Ala carte is here!

I have this odd premonition that this new menu of choices will eventually (soon?) replace the current levels of packages. Meaning a big price increase for many/most, except for those only wanting a few channels, when contracts run out. Am I too paranoid?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by TomF RI:

Am I too paranoid?

I think you may be.
brutus
Tampa, FL

brutus to Branch

to Branch

Re: Quasi Ala carte is here!

Well based off that, I can only drop two packs. I don't think it will actually be cheaper either.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Personally, I could probably drop News, Pop Culture, Lifestyle, and possibly Kids.

GSN should be in entertainment, tbh
brutus
Tampa, FL

brutus

I thought we would be able to drop news, but Science channel and Discovery are in it per that image.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Branch

to Branch
Where are MLB StrikeZone and NFL RedZone?

Also the Sports Channel does not include RSN fees, but the Sports Plus does. How odd. Not to mention it needs to be bundles with Sports Channel? Even weirder.

Finally, they both have the SEC Network and its overflow. 2 channel in both Packages. But one has the fees.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to BSAIII

to BSAIII
This might be good for those out of contract with no promos, but not those with promos. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out. I doubt this whole thing will apply for those of us in CA, TX, and FL once Frontier takes over anyways.