matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101

Re: Quasi Ala carte is here!

The live chat box opens up when you browse the new packages if you have questions.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Live chat people have no power. Retention is the only depament who can do anything.
Branch

Branch

Premium Member

Bottom line is, if you don't like it, don't switch. No ones making you (yet), and based on the website, verizon seems to be keeping the existing plans for at least a little bit.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to Branch

Premium Member

to Branch
I'm not looking to change anyhow. I have to be able to watch my local sports. I mean, we are the city of champions. LOL

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl

Premium Member

RFD and Mnet and UP are in the new basic package but I don't get them with my current Extreme package, weird.
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII
I just tried to set up as if I was getting the package fresh with Ala Cart and the price worked out to $74.99 with 25/25 internet.

I am currently paying $74.99 with 75/75 and have more channels.

Also, it looks like the local sports channels are not included in this package; even if you pick the sports packs. Unless this is a mistake on the web site.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Sports Plus includes local sports channels.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by bsangs:

If this is real, it might be perfect for me. Right now the ONLY reason I still have TV from FiOS is as a backup for Mets games on SNY should I lose my DirecTV signal due to a passing thunder boomer. To be able to get SNY included at a price close to what FiOS currently charges for just TV Local and Internet would be golden.

Nope. Just priced it out this morning and the base package (with the two sports packages) and internet would only be a $5 difference from current Preferred. Not worth it.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

So it seems like there are 2 Extremes...

Click for full size
And the
And the "new extreme" you lose three channels!

Isn't that interesting?

Can anyone else WHO HAS EXTREME confirm?
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to bsangs

Premium Member

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

said by bsangs:

If this is real, it might be perfect for me. Right now the ONLY reason I still have TV from FiOS is as a backup for Mets games on SNY should I lose my DirecTV signal due to a passing thunder boomer. To be able to get SNY included at a price close to what FiOS currently charges for just TV Local and Internet would be golden.

Nope. Just priced it out this morning and the base package (with the two sports packages) and internet would only be a $5 difference from current Preferred. Not worth it.

See, that confirms what I said earlier.
kenwvt
join:2011-05-18
Chelmsford, MA

kenwvt to BSAIII

to BSAIII
I don't see Smithsonian Channel on the chart anywhere, even under the old packages ?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

That chart is just the "highlight" of each package. The full lineups are available online.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to Branch

Premium Member

to Branch
I really don't see Verizon scrapping existing packages. That would be counter-productive. This move is designed to appeal to a group of potential customers who either would not sign on otherwise, or who have left because their existing packages are too expensive. I have friends who meet that latter definition. When I informed one of them about this new package set-up, he was going to look into it. Right now I think he pays more than $65/month for just internet with FiOS. To get just the basic package, plus a couple extra, for that same price is something appealing to him.

And yeah, the pricing isn't a huge advantage for existing customers because, well, they're not going to cannibalize their current business model. Seriously undercut their existing pricing for a vast majority of your customers, and you've just shot yourself in the foot. Again, these moves aren't designed to push existing customers over to the new package model. They're designed to draw in customers who otherwise wouldn't be customers. Will some cannibalization occur? Undoubtedly. Dish is already seeing some of that (although it's extremely small). Now, if the new packages catch on like wild fire, then yeah, I could see Verizon ditching the old model. Truth is, there are a lot of us out there who don't want to lose a ton of channels. No, we don't watch more than a handful in our house, but given the diversity of viewing habits among my family members, they cover a pretty wide range of channel types. Plus, to be honest, I like having viewing options. I like just scanning the guide from time to time to see what catches my interest.

All that being said, I think Verizon IS missing the boat on one thing with these packages. They really need to offer a VERY base package. How about just the base package with say 15/15 internet for $45/month? That would put them very much in direct competition with Dish (who charges $20/month just for the TV channels).

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Jpl, you get the award for perfectly discribing these new options.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

And no HBO / Showtime for VHO5 with the custom package.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to BSAIII

to BSAIII
I also just noticed that they've jacked up the price for "Preferred" in my VHO (7) by an additional $10! Not for existing customers that have the package, but for those that would want to switch to it. Used to be $114.99 and is now $124.99.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to BSAIII

Premium Member

to BSAIII
I guess because I'm still in the middle of my two year contract, it says that this is not available to me. WHich sucks because I would have four channel packs and save $25 a month with phone and 75/75 internet. And have 99% of the channels I want.

Although I never saw BBCA listed there. I would need to get those shows from VUDU or Amazon when I'm able to switch.

Just the fact that I wouldn't need to pay for ESPN or the regional sports network fee has me licking my chops. And waiting for the day I can sign up for this deal and start saving over $325 a year.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

I also just noticed that they've jacked up the price for "Preferred" in my VHO (7) by an additional $10! Not for existing customers that have the package, but for those that would want to switch to it. Used to be $114.99 and is now $124.99

Yep, here in VHO8 if I go through the motions as a new customer, Preferred is $10 more and the RSN is $5.00 (compared to 2.42 on my actual last bill.)
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

cuda74360 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

... and save $25 a month with phone and 75/75 internet.

Not necessarily. I just checked what my price would be and it appears that the leaked pricing doesn't apply to existing customers.

I currently pay $84.99 for Prime HD, 25/25, and phone and just renewed my contract last month. I am not currently being charged the RSN fee, and kept Prime HD over Preferred HD to avoid it. The estimated bills showed it only if I switched to Preferred HD. I've had Prime HD since before the fee existed.

Converting to Custom HD with 2 (non sports) packages lowers my package price to $79.99... a $5 savings. But the estimated bill shows the new Broadcast TV fee of $1.99, making my net savings ~$3.

Oddly enough, Select HD is no longer available for me to switch to.

I won't be switching.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch to frankpf3

Premium Member

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

And no HBO / Showtime for VHO5 with the custom package.

Now you know how it feels to be in any other VHO...
Branch

Branch to nowayout

Premium Member

to nowayout
said by nowayout:

the RSN is $5.00 (compared to 2.42 on my actual last bill.)

Yes, at least for me, VZ never raised my RSN while I was in contract.

EDIT: It seems many people are losing the option to switch to Select HD...
interesting.

EDIT 2: Cuda, I am an existing customer, and I see the same pricing that was advertised when I go into MyVerizon.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout

said by Branch:

EDIT: It seems many people are losing the option to switch to Select HD...
interesting.

Custom is replacing Select.
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

3 edits

cuda74360 to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

EDIT 2: Cuda, I am an existing customer, and I see the same pricing that was advertised when I go into MyVerizon.

Interesting. Are you under contract? I'm not getting anywhere close to the advertised deals. But they are offering a free Quantum router if I upgrade to 50/50.
opinionmine
join:2006-03-10

opinionmine to BSAIII

to BSAIII
Configured it for two separate accounts and in each case channels are lost and it costs more.

And this with eliminating all sports.

On the other hand, in one account [Extreme level] by just renewing it-without a contract-they add HBO and Showtime.

The whole thing is strange.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I guess because I'm still in the middle of my two year contract, it says that this is not available to me.

Call up or go on chat, they said you can switch even if you're under contract, unless those packages are just not in your area yet.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch to opinionmine

Premium Member

to opinionmine
Opinionmine, what VHO are you in?

If you are in NYC (and surrounding areas) that's normal.
opinionmine
join:2006-03-10

opinionmine

Yes, NYC vicinity.

So why does that one account not have HBO and Showtime automatically?
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to JPL

Premium Member

to JPL
I don't see how this format is going to persuade people from cutting the chord. Most people have channels they like coming from each one of those packets. Why can't they come up with a plan where we pay only for what we want? Let us pick 2 channels from each of those non sports package to build our on package along with getting all our local changes including our local sports networks.

I want a triple play package including equipment where my bill is under $100 a month.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch to opinionmine

Premium Member

to opinionmine
Opinion mine: Idk. You should have gotten it automatically, idk why not.

Cuba, yup, I'm in contract.

Acct: what kind of equipment?
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

Equipment that allows me to watch programs in HD. Heck, I would go back to the old TV's and non HD boxes if they would still make those old TV's again. My digital DirecTV was perfect until I purchased an HD TV which made everyone look fat. So I had to dump DirecTV to get HD and my annoyance with the cost of cable began.