From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman

Premium Member

Tweak Test

In another thread I mentioned to justin the Tweak Tester, as it might be giving incorrect results. I don't know if it would need to be written to account for different handling of newer TCP/IP protocols or not. Rather than take the Speed Test thread off track I thought it better to make a specific thread.

Perhaps the first thing that could be looked at is RWIN/Window Scaling and how it is interpreted into Results.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

There is no reason the speed test can't, as a side-task, do everything the current tweak test does, and more besides. Although as I mentioned I don't think it is necessary (or in the case of windows, even that possible) to muck with default settings.

However if there were specific mis-configuration issues like selective acknowledgements not being enabled, or a small receive or send window, or no window scaling, I think the speed test can highlight it.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

fixrman

Premium Member

Ok, good stuff. So let me ask this, though: Does it make sense to perhaps put a note with the Tweak Test, as there is with Satellite users, that folks using the Vista OS and forward probably should not use it? They are going to see the inefficient packet size message and will feel compelled to do something about it, perhaps. Just a thought.

For my part, I suspected that the Window Scaling/RWIN size was providing sort of false results because the Transfer efficiency was still 100%, despite seeing seemingly conflicting information there. I am also not sure if Linux, et. al. follow the same conventions or not. I have to say, it is more intuitive on my part what I am thinking because I really don't know much about how these electrons are flying around the ether and through wires and optics - I only have suspicions.
fixrman

fixrman to justin

Premium Member

to justin
So I didn't see it yet - any plans to add a tweak tester to the Speed Test page? Is it already included in the information we are getting back?