spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JackTruong
join:2005-03-29
Waterloo, ON

JackTruong

No trade-in love for great-grandfathers

Just a bit of a rant. I received the e-mail about switching over from a grandfathered Cable 45/4 plan over to a FTTN 50/10 plan. I was hesitant on switching. I have my doubts on actually getting 50/10 in my old building but after talking to sales and checking various websites, I am more convinced that I'll see 50/10 with the VDSL.

So I remember reading the blog about trading in an old Motorola modem for the new fancy VDSL one. Perfect. I don't have to pay anything up front to switch. So I asked the sales agent how to proceed since I'm trading in and he suggested to call.

So I called. The sales agent on the phone checked my account and I was excited to finally put this decision behind me and get back to work. And then she gave me bad news: my modem is too old. I only saw Motorola SB something something in the blog post, I remember I had purchased a Motorola SB something something when I signed up for the service back in July 2013. Apparently the SB6121 that I have is not allowed to be traded up for the new VDSL one, only the SB6141.

I'm back to debating now. I don't want to go to FTTN now if it involves me purchasing a new modem and having a useless block here that I'd need to pawn off.
forcefed
join:2015-02-26

forcefed

Blame rogers not vmedia, since the 6141 can actually be used on new connections it still has some value, that's why vmedia is willing to take it back for a trade in which is surprising to say the least.
Also you don't have to switch to fttn, you can stay on your grandfathered plan and nothing will change.
JackTruong
join:2005-03-29
Waterloo, ON

JackTruong

That's very true, I'm not forced to switch to FTTN. However, VMedia did raise my plan by $10 in March, what's preventing them from raising it by another $10? I used to be a Bell HSE customer and they kept raising prices of my grandfathered plan by $5 every few months.
forcefed
join:2015-02-26

forcefed

Well this is their first price increase in 2 years, bell and rogers do it more frequently.