spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

[Carpentry] Need to trim 1/4" off the bottom of a kitchen cabinet

The height of the "opening" for a refrigerator in our kitchen is only about 65 3/8", and the new fridge we want to put-in there needs 65 1/2". My idea is to trim about a quarter inch, maybe a half, off the front (and right side) of the cabinet that is above the fridge. My question is how to do this without making too much of a mess of it. I have a powered hand planer but of course it won't plane all-the-way to the back or the side. I also have a small circular saw and could probably figure-out how to clamp a metal guide fence to the cabinet so I wouldn't have to free-hand it. I have too a jig saw, and one of those new oscillating power tools, and a router though I've never used it before.

Wondering if anyone here has done this before and has tips for me.

Unfortunately the above-fridge cabinet is not a separate item from the cabinets to its left or I would take it down to work on it, but that's not an option. Here's a pic showing the existing (very old) refridge which just fits...

upload img

fluffybunny
@cipherkey.com

fluffybunny

Anon

knock out the bottom shelf completely with the jigsaw, fit the new fridge in and use the fridge top as the new shelf.

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 edit

Frink

Premium Member

This is exactly what I did, remove the bottom shelf, except the new fridge doors hinges on the top front of the fridges extend higher than the clearance necessary to open the doors even with the shelf out. My somewhat ghetto solution was to take off the cabinet door hinges completely and add 3 magnets around the edge inside the cabinet doors where it meets the frame, to hold the doors on. The cabinets still look normal from the outside, but to open and get inside I need to lift them off the magnets, and slightly up over the fridge hinges entirely. They completely pull off. It is not ideal, but the alternative would be to trim the existing doors over 2 inches, or find new smaller doors which match my existing oak...both wouldn't look as good as the original.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
Use an oscillating tool with a flush-cutting blade.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to tomupnorth

MVM

to tomupnorth
I vote for oscillating saw.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
You may be able to lower the feet of the fridge.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
What kind of flooring is it on? Example... If tile on concrete the tile under the fridge can be removed.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

Thanks guys; I only need 1/8th of an inch so am inclined to trim (rather than remodel) and my wife and I are already conceding that it's likely the right-hand cabinet door won't open fully owing to the refrigerator hinge. But I've already confirmed that the feet/rollers can't be altered. And I don't want to mess with the floor, which is tile, as the fridge needs to be pulled-out/pushed-back whenever the water needs draining for the winter.

I think I will try my powered planer first, since it makes beautiful smooth cuts, and then finish the corners left-and-back with the oscillating tool.

Thanks for the input.

BTW the pic is not clear that these cabinet doors are LOCKABLE; this kit is up at our lake cabin which may see some relatives' visits and we'd like to lock-up at least our good Texas vodka!

StillLearn
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Streamwood, IL

1 edit

StillLearn

Premium Member

deleted

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
With tile removed only directly under fridge it wil fit in and be level after sliding back till front legs or wheels drop in, and can as easily be moved out by slightly lifting front to slide out.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

As it is already I will not have the recommended clearance at the top for air flow (counting on the side being open to help this). There's no need to chop-up the floor, then set the thing down below floor level (my wife would hate that, and not be able to lift it out anyway) further exacerbating that problem by effectively setting the fridge into a tray.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

We have this same problem in our kitchen. I was not willing to try and modify the cabinets or floor. I ended up taking measurements of the space and going to Sears to find a model that would fit. The clearance is about 1" on top and 2" on each side.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

There are two other models (from the Mfr we want) that will fit possibly w/o any mods at all, but wifey likes THIS ONE (which matches too the rest of the stuff i.e. micro, range, and dishwasher) so I gotta figure-out how to make it work.

It's really only the side edge that is visible and needs to be pretty--I hope I don't botch the job...

It will help if the new fridge is like our present one in that the exterior cabinet metal is not perfectly flat & straight i.e. thinnish metal backed with insulation so it's a tiny bit wavy. Like my trim job is likely to be!

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to tomupnorth

MVM

to tomupnorth
I removed the cabinet totally above the refrigerator, couldn't use it for anything but storage anyway. I like the look much better...at least with my kitchen.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to tomupnorth

MVM

to tomupnorth
I guess it was a little easier for me. After searching through all the models, the choice came down to color, as we could only find one that was even close to fitting in the space.

enon
@verizon.net

enon to tomupnorth

Anon

to tomupnorth
said by tomupnorth:

But I've already confirmed that the feet/rollers can't be altered

How is the refrigerator leveled?
said by tomupnorth:

Texas vodka

I tended bar for 10 years and never heard of Texas vodka. Is this a euphemism for something?
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

I expect there are fixed-height rollers in the back and adjustable feet on the front.
quote:
I tended bar for 10 years and never heard of Texas vodka. Is this a euphemism for something?

Hmmm, we like Deep Eddy, Dripping Springs, Tito's...there are a lot of outstanding TX vodkas.
tomupnorth

tomupnorth to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

I removed the cabinet totally above the refrigerator, couldn't use it for anything but storage anyway. I like the look much better...at least with my kitchen.

Would not be attractive in our case, but regardless the cabinet is not removable as I said in Post #1.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4 to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
said by tomupnorth:

Tito's...

A (pretty damned close to) top shelf vodka at almost a swill vodka price. Great stuff. Highly recommend.
The proof of liquor quality is well represented in the intensity of the hangover.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
off of the vodka and back on topic. To OP I had to do the same thing, mine even had a vertical panel on the left side of the fridge to close it in.
So take every thing out of the cabinet. remove it from the wall. Not that hard, just a few long screws holding it in. brace it up with some 2 x 4 or have someone hold it for you.
Use a skill saw with a fine blade and cut off what you need to. sand and then stain the cut edge (or not if you don't want to) . Remount and install new fridge.

And find a new place to store your wine. Over the fridge is about the worst place to store it.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

I do not believe that cabinet stands alone, thus can't be taken-down, but of course I will look again when I'm up there cuz clearly that would make working on it so much easier.

I think I have a fine-tooth blade for my Ryobi 5 1/2" circular saw--if there is something special-er for this purpose let me know please.

I'm not sure why my wife put the wine up there! Yes it's the wrong place for it, but it's not fine wine anyway! Suprised to hear Tito's is in CT but I'd never have expected to find all the above Up North either!

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
If the refrigerator blocks the cabinet doors from swinging open, you can swap the side opening hardware on the cabinet for top opening hardware. Just another option.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
I would say to plunge a Fein tool or the like in a vertical manner then raise the shelf, but it appears there is a dado at the lower left of the shelf, just above the fridge. If the appearance of an orphaned dado does not bother anyone...

Fein MultiMaster - one of the best $200 I ever spent. Cut a 100 year old window sash out of umpteen layers of painted over by knuckleheads in around 30 seconds. After I regained consciousness, I think I started swappin' spit with the damned thing.

»www.websterpowerproducts ··· 6afe.jpg

The oscillating tools can be a handful when free handing a cut. A piece of flat stock clamped next to the cut line could make for a straighter cut. Someone may have to hold the far end of the guide if clamping both ends is not feasible.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
No easy answer here. Unless, you drink the vodka and then just notch the door until it clears the fridge hinge. Maybe do both doors the same, so it looks like it's supposed to be that way.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to Grumpy4

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

I would say to plunge a Fein tool or the like in a vertical manner then raise the shelf, but it appears there is a dado at the lower left of the shelf, just above the fridge. If the appearance of an orphaned dado does not bother anyone...

Hmmm Grumpy was that English?

I have an oscillating tool with a circular blade but I think will try first the circular saw as I said. Won't know till I get there whether I can clamp a guide in place.

We decided we won't care if the right-hand side of the cabinet can't open all-the-way due to the hinge. It will open far enough. I will drink the vodka after and hopefully it will be to Celebrate and not to Drown My Sorrows.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned) to tomupnorth

to tomupnorth
Someone else solved this problem by raising all the cabinets a little.
»www.doityourself.com/for ··· a.html#b
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

3 edits

tomupnorth

Wow very interesting thread and the cabinet is identically oriented to my own situation (and would have to cut both the front and the right side), but I can't see any way I'd want to attempt raising all the cabs for a number of reasons owing to the way this particular kitchen is built, including that there are windows that the cabinets presently "hug" and undercab lights/wiring to deal with.

A question 'bout sawing, not being an expert carpenter: my circular saw spins in a clockwise direct and thus when cutting-into a board it's the BACKSIDE of the board that gets the teeth, and thus AFAIK gets the cleanest cut. The FRONTSIDE has the teeth coming-up from the underside and is less smooth as a result. Normally when cutting a board where I want the exposed edge the smoothest I'd turn it over to cut it. But I can't do it this way with the cabinet. Any tips for minimizing the "chipping" of the front edges? I suppose I could try "pulling" the saw i.e. cutting from the back, though I'm sure I've never tried that before.

EDIT: How about this double-cut saw. Anyone here used such a thing?

»www.harborfreight.com/me ··· 1524.jpg

It appears to be for cutting pipes/metal and such though the manual also says "oak wood up to 3/4 in" and it runs at 4200rpm so should do wood OK. No guide that I can see though...

I think I found it, the Dremel Saw Max, because it has a built-in guide mechanism around the blade. I should be able to clamp a guide of some sort onto the cabinet, and if not then freehanding it should be easier than using any of the double-cut saws I found:

»ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 500_.jpg

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to tomupnorth

Premium Member

to tomupnorth
said by tomupnorth:

I'm not sure why my wife put the wine up there! Yes it's the wrong place for it, but it's not fine wine anyway!

Completely off topic: you should store the wine ( even yellow tail ) on it's side to keep the cork wet. This keeps Oxygen out and reduces spoilage. And yes it probably is too warm up there. also.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

said by pende_tim:

said by tomupnorth:

I'm not sure why my wife put the wine up there! Yes it's the wrong place for it, but it's not fine wine anyway!

Completely off topic: you should store the wine ( even yellow tail ) on it's side to keep the cork wet. This keeps Oxygen out and reduces spoilage. And yes it probably is too warm up there. also.

With that many bottles of the same type I'm guessing they don't last long enough for that to matter.
tomupnorth
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth

said by 18189353:

With that many bottles of the same type I'm guessing they don't last long enough for that to matter.

Good guess!!! And the white would be in the fridge except it's shut-down for the winter...

I researched all the alternate saws, including not just the Dremel mentioned but also compact saws from Rockwell and Makita and etc. and I don't think I want to spend the $$ for the Dremel given its only benefit seems to be the carbide wheel blade which I'd guess makes cleaner cuts than toothed blades. Maybe I can find a similar blade to work in my Ryobi 5 1/2":

»ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· 241_.jpg