MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

[Speed] Comcast to launch new speed tiers, increases existing ones in CA

Comcast Announces 2 Gigabit Residential Service and New Extreme 250 Mbps Tier in California
The company also increases speeds for existing Internet customers at no additional cost. Changes will go into effect starting in May.
Comcast Voices blog - April 17, 2015
»corporate.comcast.com/ne ··· lifornia
quote:
Comcast today announced it will launch Extreme 250, a new 250 Mbps Internet speed tier for California customers. The company also will increase its Performance tier from 50 Mbps to 75 Mbps and its Blast tier from 105 Mbps to 150 Mbps, both at no additional cost to customers. These changes will go into effect starting in May and continue throughout the year.

In addition, Comcast will roll out its residential multi-gigabit broadband service to nearly three million California homes starting in June. Gigabit Pro is a symmetrical, 2 Gigabit-per-second service that will be delivered via a fiber-to-the-home solution and offered to customers in the Chico, Fresno, Marysville/Yuba City, Merced, Modesto, Monterey, Sacramento, Salinas, San Francisco Bay Area, Santa Barbara County, Stockton and Visalia metro areas*. ...
:
* The new Internet speeds mentioned throughout this press release will not launch in the following areas: Arbuckle, Coalinga, Cool, Gustine, Huron, Isleton, Le Grand, Lodi, Maxwell, Planada, Rio Vista, Santa Cruz, Santa Nella, Scotts Valley and Williams.

EDIT: Karl has a DSLR news item up about it now: »Comcast Announces Additional 2 Gigabit Deployments [84] comments
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

2 recommendations

plat2on1

now 75 for performance out west and still 25 here in the northeast. whats the deal Comcast?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
My April Fools photo is partially coming true! Buahaha

»Comcast Released New Tiers and True Gig [April Fools 2015]

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley to telcodad

to telcodad
2Gb pipe into a 1Gb NIC gets you what? 10Gb NICs, routers and switches are going to have to come way down in price before this means anything to the average "thirst for speed" residential user.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by cHarley:

2Gb pipe into a 1Gb NIC gets you what? 10Gb NICs, routers and switches are going to have to come way down in price before this means anything to the average "thirst for speed" residential user.

How much does a 10 gig NIC even cost?

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley

A "cheap" single port NIC on Newegg goes for $300.
»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· rc=aw.ds
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Comcast Announces 2 Gigabit Residential Service and New Extreme 250 Mbps Tier in California
The company also increases speeds for existing Internet customers at no additional cost. Changes will go into effect starting in May.

quote:
Comcast today announced it will launch Extreme 250, a new 250 Mbps Internet speed tier for California customers. The company also will increase its Performance tier from 50 Mbps to 75 Mbps and its Blast tier from 105 Mbps to 150 Mbps, both at no additional cost to customers. These changes will go into effect starting in May and continue throughout the year.

In addition, Comcast will roll out its residential multi-gigabit broadband service to nearly three million California homes starting in June. Gigabit Pro is a symmetrical, 2 Gigabit-per-second service that will be delivered via a fiber-to-the-home solution and offered to customers in the Chico, Fresno, Marysville/Yuba City, Merced, Modesto, Monterey, Sacramento, Salinas, San Francisco Bay Area, Santa Barbara County, Stockton and Visalia metro areas*. ...
:
* The new Internet speeds mentioned throughout this press release will not launch in the following areas: Arbuckle, Coalinga, Cool, Gustine, Huron, Isleton, Le Grand, Lodi, Maxwell, Planada, Rio Vista, Santa Cruz, Santa Nella, Scotts Valley and Williams.

EDIT: Karl has a DSLR news item up about it now: »Comcast Announces Additional 2 Gigabit Deployments [84] comments

Thanks for the post! Keep it coming Comcast. Wonder why CA is the first to get it.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
I saw that the 2gb will be 2gb/2gb. What about the upload speed for the other tiers that are being increased?

sraz
join:2013-10-28
Tucson, AZ

sraz to jm101

to jm101
Probably because LA is Time Warner's biggest market? Just a guess

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by sraz:

Probably because LA is Time Warner's biggest market? Just a guess

It sound like if this merger is approved the market I live in LA will get 2/2. I will be glad to pay the price.
OpTiC

OpTiC to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
said by jm101:

said by telcodad:

quote:

:

Thanks for the post! Keep it coming Comcast. Wonder why CA is the first to get it.

It is because of AT&T rolling out gigapower in Cupertino and Google planning to roll out 1GBPS to San Jose. Or maybe Comcast might do this to be as close as possible to match TWC MAXX tiers in LA.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
»[Connectivity] McKuin Pipeline installing Fiber in Madera, Ca

I'm glad Comcast will continue with the speeds upgrades.

My question is, why go from 50 to 75, why not 50 to 105?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by Madtown:

But is Comcast going to boost speeds in plants that haven't been upgraded areas in CA.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to plat2on1

to plat2on1
I wonder if we will see more upgrades here soon. The last speed upgrade was just about 2 years ago. I went from 50 to 105.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

From: »Re: Comcast Released New Tiers and True Gig = Specific Markets
said by Mike Wolf:

For the 305/25 package, I agree on the need of a 16x4 device, but where would one find a 24x8 device in this day and age? I can't even think of a market that even offers that many channels. Is this a subliminal hint that that's gonna change?

Well, a 16x4 modem, like the ARRIS SB6183, should be able to comfortably handle downstream rates of up to 500 Mbps, and would be needed for a 300 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 speed tier, like TWC's Maxx 300 (an 8x4 modem can handle up to a 250 Mbps tier, such as Comcast's "Extreme 250" mentioned in today's announcement).

However, in the case of a congested node, achieving consistent speeds of 300 Mbps may require the utilization of the extra bonded channels provided by a 24x4 or 24x8 modem.

As far as the availability of 24xN D3 devices, the new Cisco DPC3941T gateway is supposed to be one: »Re: [Equip] DPC3939 just replaced with DPC3941T Findings

Also see the "Wireless Gateway 3" type devices listed here: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· compare/

Comcast is/was also conducting field trials with ARRIS of their new 24x8 TG1682 Voice Gateway: »[Equip] Comcast planning to conduct trials of ARRIS's new TG1682 Gateway

There are also some new ARRIS 16x4 devices that are software (license) upgradeable to 24x8 operation:

»[Equip] 16x4 modems like the ARRIS TG1672G Upgradable to 24x8?

»[Equip] Arris TM1602 Voice Modem - 16x4 upgradable to 24x8

Finally, whenever they are released, the hybrid DOCSIS 3.1/3.0 modems are required to be able to provide 24x8 D3.0 bonding: »Re: [Connectivity] Should I get a 8 x 4 modem or a 16 x 4 modem?

gr33dy
join:2002-05-31
Albuquerque, NM

1 recommendation

gr33dy to plat2on1

to plat2on1
said by plat2on1:

now 75 for performance out west and still 25 here in the northeast. whats the deal Comcast?

What a joke..
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

said by Madtown:

But is Comcast going to boost speeds in plants that haven't been upgraded areas in CA.

I would assume Madera plants has been upgraded, otherwise I wouldn't see speed of 120 mbps with Blast.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA

jm101 to OpTiC

to OpTiC
That all makes sense. Not complaining but too bad it really isn't from 50 to 105.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to gr33dy

Premium Member

to gr33dy
said by gr33dy:

said by plat2on1:

What a joke..

It's not a joke because there isn't competition.

Bubzy
@comcast.net

Bubzy to cHarley

Anon

to cHarley
Or $40

»www.ebay.com/itm/HP-6717 ··· 04739378

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

If that's even legit, it says it's a referb unit. I wouldn't trust that with a 10 foot pole.

gr33dy
join:2002-05-31
Albuquerque, NM

1 recommendation

gr33dy to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

said by gr33dy:

said by plat2on1:

What a joke..

It's not a joke because there isn't competition.

I don't give a damn. It's a slap in the face to the millions of other valued customers who pony up the same but receive an inferior product.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
I agree but so far I haven't seen a 24xN device available for retail purchase. As I've said about those Cisco units in those other threads, there is some confusing misinformation floating around such as if they are 24x4 or 24x8.
said by telcodad:

However, there won't be more than 4 upstream channels provided for D3 until Comcast upgrades their plant to expand the return path bandwidth from the current 42 MHz limit up to 85MHz or more.

Has any tangible progress been seen and made on this? Can current D3.0 modems support this or would they need to be a hybrid?
said by telcodad:

Also, it looks like Comcast is planning to roll out D3.1 on the downstream first, to get the faster download speeds right away, while they gradually upgrade the line equipment (amps, taps, etc.) to increase the return path (upstream) bandwidth.

Has any actual hardware upgrades/replacements been witnessed out in the neighborhoods? Does the upgraded equipment even exist?

Regarding that hybrid article that article is dated from 2013 and being that it's 2015 and we've heard and seen absolutely nothing from a manufacturer about a hybrid modem being in production in 2014 which according to the article are supposed to be "in the field sometime in 2015" and heard and seen absolutely nothing from a manufacturer about hybrid CMTS gear (or line equipment for that matter) being in production which are supposed to follow the hybrid modem debut.

So my take on the article implies that the currently deployed D3.0 CMTS equipment that Comcast is using can't be upgraded in the field to become hybrid 3.0/3.1 compatible and will need to be entirely replaced, and that if 24x8 D3.0 bonding on the CMTS is desired, that it would only be achievable upon the CMTS replacement?

Those new Arris 16x4 devices are software upgradable, but will Comcast actually shell out the money to do so or will they just wait until hybrid 24x8 models are available?

Of course the biggest question of all is how much is this going to negatively affect the average customer such as price increases and service interruptions. Would be nice if Comcast gave us some local accountability as to what progress/upgrades are being made in each market, but Comcast is probably afraid it'd show how fractured everything is. Anyone ever wonder what the heck happened to the "national channel lineup"? Maybe they should take a page from how Verizon FiOS manages their system by VHO region. »forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· -p/17696 »www.engadget.com/2009/12 ··· deo-hub/

If Comcast truly wanted customers to like them and not be a PR disaster, they'd cut the prices on all their services, and I don't mean with discounts and promotions, I mean actually lowering the real prices, because it's not like we're seeing our money being put back into equipment upgrades and speed increases on the local level. If the bosses at Comcast don't know what that means, that means that the money people pay their bills with go into buying new equipment for better service in the neighborhoods those people actually live in, and not into your pocket.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

I agree but so far I haven't seen a 24xN device available for retail purchase. As I've said about those Cisco units in those other threads, there is some confusing misinformation floating around such as if they are 24x4 or 24x8.

said by telcodad:

However, there won't be more than 4 upstream channels provided for D3 until Comcast upgrades their plant to expand the return path bandwidth from the current 42 MHz limit up to 85MHz or more.

Has any tangible progress been seen and made on this? Can current D3.0 modems support this or would they need to be a hybrid?

I don't know if there are any Comcast systems right now that use an 85 MHz "mid-split" plan that would accommodate more than 4 5.12 Msymb/sec 64QAM carriers.
said by Mike Wolf:

said by telcodad:

Also, it looks like Comcast is planning to roll out D3.1 on the downstream first, to get the faster download speeds right away, while they gradually upgrade the line equipment (amps, taps, etc.) to increase the return path (upstream) bandwidth.

Has any actual hardware upgrades/replacements been witnessed out in the neighborhoods? Does the upgraded equipment even exist?

Regarding that hybrid article that article is dated from 2013 and being that it's 2015 and we've heard and seen absolutely nothing from a manufacturer about a hybrid modem being in production in 2014 which according to the article are supposed to be "in the field sometime in 2015" and heard and seen absolutely nothing from a manufacturer about hybrid CMTS gear (or line equipment for that matter) being in production which are supposed to follow the hybrid modem debut.

Comcast is running at least one DOCSIS 3.1 field trial right now:

Comcast Puts DOCSIS 3.1 To The Test: Report
MSO Is Testing OFDM Traffic In The Field

By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - March 18, 2015
»www.multichannel.com/new ··· t/388926

I would imagine that this trial market is located near one of the Comcast Lab locations, maybe somewhere in Colorado?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I wouldn't be surprised. Comcast seems to love to put out new tech for their engineers to play with in the areas they live in. They have a Comcast Labs in Denver according to their website.

When or if Comcast ever does do that 85MHz return path upgrade, can D3.0 modems support it or will this be reserved for the hybrid modems?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to gr33dy

Premium Member

to gr33dy
said by gr33dy:

I don't give a damn. It's a slap in the face to the millions of other valued customers who pony up the same but receive an inferior product.

Answer this question does you area have any sort of gigabit service or AT&T Uverse. That is a reason why CC is upgrading CA first. Same with TWC too and other cable co. What incentive would that give Comcast upgrading their network in a area with no competition.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I wouldn't be surprised. Comcast seems to love to put out new tech for their engineers to play with in the areas they live in. They have a Comcast Labs in Denver according to their website.

When or if Comcast ever does do that 85MHz return path upgrade, can D3.0 modems support it or will this be reserved for the hybrid modems?

Well, looking at the spec sheets of a number of modems, if appears that they usually spec something like this:
quote:
UPSTREAM
Frequency Range: 5 MHz to 42 MHz (edge-to-edge) for N. American DOCSIS
But, if that modem was also designed to meet the EuroDOCSIS specifications, then it should be capable of having its upstream operate up to 85 MHz.

Whether activating that capability requires any chipset/component changes, or can be enabled via software, would depend on that particular device's design (most of the newer 16x4/24x8 devices most likely would just need a firmware upgrade/download).

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

If they moved to support a European Spec, all the active devices between you and the CMTS would have to be upgraded to support a return of up to 85MHz. That is a lot more complicated than a software upgrade.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to OpTiC

MVM

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

said by gr33dy:

Answer this question - does your area have any sort of gigabit service or AT&T U-verse? That is a reason why CC is upgrading CA first. Same with TWC too and other cable cos. What incentive would that give Comcast upgrading their network in an area with no competition.

How about just out of the goodness of their hearts?

(At least up until the time when the merger is either approved or denied. *)

[* - From »Comcast Merger Critics: No Deal Conditions Can Fix This Mess [25] comments
quote:
... Comcast in recent weeks has ramped up their sales efforts for the deal, a long series of blog posts continuing to argue that the deal will accomplish everything from helping African Americans »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ommunity to "creating expanded support for the creative community »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ommunity ."
]

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Awesome. Now I gotta figure out how to determine if a modem is spec'd for EuroDOCSIS as well.