2 edits

bbbc

HBO NOW : Threatens to cancel account for accessing outside of USA

Click for full size
HBO NOW - Hate email
Click for full size
Unblock-Us post

USA iTunes account must be active
So my friend subscribed to the new HBO NOW, which is exclusive to iShit devices for the first three months. I heard HBO NOW worked great by blocking hardcoded DNS servers in combination with a DNS proxy / redirection service. My friend shared their account with an acquaintance who didn't block their hardcoded DNS and lo and behold, HBO NOW sends out a hate email. If you don't call their hotline within a week, HBO will cancel the account and you'll still be billed by Apple. It makes no sense for this hardline stance when the video wouldn't play within Canada. I mean hell, Hulu will still take your money, won't let you watch Hulu content, but won't cancel your account.

Figured I should share the 411 to all the naughty Canadians. The HBO NOW hotline is (855) 366-2183 / 1-855-366-2183 .

EDIT
The active iTunes account on the device streaming HBO NOW must be set to USA. If you don't have an American credit card, read these FAQs on establishing an Apple USA account without one - »support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204034 and »help.unotelly.com/suppor ··· it-card- .

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Its probably Bell or whoever has the HBO rights in Canada thats bitching to them to enforce shit.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Its bullshit imho. HBO should just shut up and take the money.

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

2 recommendations

Rickkins to bbbc

to bbbc
Geez.... you'd think they'd be happy about the people who actually pay for their services.

Are these idiots ever happy...???
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

taraf to bbbc

to bbbc
So... you accessed the service from outside of the USA, which is very clearly against their terms of service, and are surprised that they might try to enforce that TOS?

There's a cognitive disconnect here.

And don't wave the instructions for how to access without a US credit card, as there are plenty of legitimate reasons for somebody to be in the US without a US credit card (exchange student, foreign work contract, etc.).
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

3 recommendations

JMJimmy to bbbc

to bbbc
Piracy, it's a necessity not a choice.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to taraf

to taraf
said by taraf :

So... you accessed the service from outside of the USA, which is very clearly against their terms of service, and are surprised that they might try to enforce that TOS?

HBO NOW doesn't play / work if you're outside of the good ol' USA, so there's no ToS violation from turning on an app that won't work. Hulu also doesn't work, but the difference is Hulu doesn't send an email that the account is being canceled within a week. It's a bit heavy-handed since you didn't get to see the content while in Canada. Ever think about people who travel between the countries, like truckers and flight crews? Yeah, HBO should bully these people (with hate emails) for merely trying to watch their service in Canada. This is a streaming provider stepping up the game and I believe it's newsworthy.

And don't wave the instructions for how to access without a US credit card, as there are plenty of legitimate reasons for somebody to be in the US without a US credit card (exchange student, foreign work contract, etc.).

Really, you give a shit that I'm posting about how to establish an Apple iTunes account in the USA?

nonBell
@rogers.com

nonBell to taraf

Anon

to taraf
said by taraf:

And not only that, sharing of service. I wonder how much the fact that they detect simultaneiously detecting access from two geographic location has to do with this "threat".

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
It's okay by me, HBO clearly doesn't want our money, so more pocket money for other things while I download stuff.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

4 edits

bbbc to nonBell

to nonBell
The story is worldwide:
»www.smh.com.au/digital-l ··· t5q.html
»forums.macrumors.com/sho ··· =1868685
»www.reddit.com/r/austral ··· ccounts/
»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· 560&p=24

Cool, looks like the DNS proxy / redirection / smartDNS providers are stepping up their game too:
»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· =30#r596
said by nonBell :

And not only that, sharing of service. I wonder how much the fact that they detect simultaneiously detecting access from two geographic location has to do with this "threat".

Doubt it:
»venturebeat.com/2015/04/ ··· aunches/

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

jmck

I find it funny that people feel content rights is a new thing. HBO Canada exists and probably owns all the rights to HBO distribution in Canada right now.

It's not an issue of HBO refusing to accept your money, it's an issue of them having sold the rights to someone else. your $15/month is nothing compared to the millions they get from whoever owns HBO Canada.

does it suck for consumers? yep but it's how it is right now and for pretty much ever. hopefully in the future things will change when content companies will be able to get more money from selling directly over the internet instead of having to secure distribution rights. i feel HBO is on it's way there with their recent online initiatives but it's years away.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by jmck :

I find it funny that people feel content rights is a new thing.

You're right, content rights aren't a new thing. What's new is end-users are fighting back and trying to legally pay for the content without the extortion of a cable / IPTV sub.

It's not an issue of HBO refusing to accept your money, it's an issue of them having sold the rights to someone else. your $15/month is nothing compared to the millions they get from whoever owns HBO Canada.

We all get this, but the geolocation shit has gotten old. HBO is just going to drive folks to piracy. Perhaps a new business model should be for HBO to give Bhell a cut or refund for geofence jumpers.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to bbbc

to bbbc
I was going to subscribe to HBO NOW and use my VPN to access it, the same way I access Netflix US content.

Maybe I'll wait now.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

said by TigerLord:

I was going to subscribe to HBO NOW and use my VPN to access it, the same way I access Netflix US content.

Maybe I'll wait now.

Netflix has been told to start cracking down on exactly what you are doing so dont expect to be able to do that much longer...

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

MyrddinEmrys to bbbc

to bbbc
I don't know why I'm always suprised when people do a boneheaded action and they act like it's their rights that been violated.

Sad.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc to btech805

to btech805
said by btech805 :

Netflix has been told to start cracking down on exactly what you are doing so dont expect to be able to do that much longer...

Of all people, I'm surprised you actually believe the cat-and-mouse game won't continue. As I posted above, the smartDNS guys will continue to figure things out.
said by MyrddinEmrys :

I don't know why I'm always suprised when people do a boneheaded action and they act like it's their rights that been violated.

Lost on this one, what's the boneheaded action? Subbing to HBO NOW or sharing the sub with one other person? The problem I find is HBO is cancelling the account, but the billing will continue.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by bbbc:

The problem I find is HBO is cancelling the account, but the billing will continue.

how have you come to this conclusion? have you been billed for another month after the account was cancelled (i doubt it since it just came out 2 weeks ago)?
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by jmck:

how have you come to this conclusion? have you been billed for another month after the account was cancelled (i doubt it since it just came out 2 weeks ago)?

Did you even read HBO's message posted above?

"Please note that it is your responsibility to cancel any automatic billing with your Subscription Provider to avoid incurring charges for any future months."
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

1 edit

Anzio

That's not really the fault of HBO though, since they cannot manage your subscriptions for you. Knowing Apple, you can just go into iTunes and request a refund of the month, and they won't even ask a question. They'll refund it immediately and automatically.

Regarding the actual policy of terminating your account due to accessing it outside of the US, I think jmck summed it up best. HBO Canada is likely the one upset about this, and HBO is just doing what they have to.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to btech805

Premium Member

to btech805
said by btech805:

said by TigerLord:

Maybe I'll wait now.

My DNS provider has stepped up its game significantly in order to address this, and will continue to do so without a doubt.

EQ

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc to Anzio

to Anzio
said by Anzio :

Regarding the actual policy of terminating your account due to accessing it outside of the US, I think jmck summed it up best. HBO Canada is likely the one upset about this, and HBO is just doing what they have to.

I guess no one read my subsequent post, this isn't isolated to Canada. Australians are posting about this like there's no tomorrow. The Australians are blaming Foxtel and Murdoch and the Canadians are blaming Bhell for this HBO stance. I seem to be the only one that's posted in a public forum geared towards Canadians.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

HBO Canada is entirely separate entity from HBO, they just license the name and content HBO creates in the US. Bell has the broadcasting rights in eastern Canada, Corus in the west.

Bell/Corus would need to be ones to make streaming service off of HBO Canada.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
it won't be long before the media owners get the government to go after the DNS company's. It's not like a VPN that you can say I use for many things I mean the DNS sites don't hide the fact you pay to get around geo blocking.
Expand your moderator at work

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc

Re: HBO NOW : Threatens to cancel account for accessing outside of USA

It's their right since they produce and ultimately own that content, that's what it comes down to but just like the music and gaming industry, if you don't make it easily accessible in a format people want, there will just be piracy.

The HBO Canada thing comes down to contracts, HBO could easily revoke online rights for the next contract if they wanted to and likely will when streaming takes over legacy. In the online market it is much easier and makes more sense to provide one service.

MyrddinEmrys
join:2011-11-29
Scarborough, ON

MyrddinEmrys to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Lost on this one, what's the boneheaded action? Subbing to HBO NOW or sharing the sub with one other person? The problem I find is HBO is cancelling the account, but the billing will continue.

Violating someone's copyright and complaining about the consequences. Accepting a ToA and then complaining, well...

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by MyrddinEmrys :

Violating someone's copyright and complaining about the consequences. Accepting a ToA and then complaining, well...

Sorry, but you're not right. Anyone on foreign soil isn't violating HBO's copyright if they're paying for HBO NOW, perhaps HBO's rules, but not copyright. Complaining about it or informing others, big whoop. As far as breaking the precious ToS / ToA, you need to agree to a ToS / ToA anymore to even wipe your ass. Sorry for the crudeness, but you get my point.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Shrink-wrap or click-through TOS agreements have varying effects in different jurisdictions. Some deem them valid, others don't.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Up until now I've been voting with my wallet and will continue to do so.

Until HBO Canada offers up a standalone streaming service (no TV subscription required and no affiliation with any specific internet provider), they're not getting any of my money.

Oh well, I've got other better things to do than watching more TV shows anyways.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Sorry, but you're not right. Anyone on foreign soil isn't violating HBO's copyright if they're paying for HBO NOW, perhaps HBO's rules, but not copyright.

HBO licenses distribution rights on a regional basis and the right to assign, sell, lease or otherwise delegate distribution rights are a part of copyrights.