Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

[Electrical] Need replacement motor for 37 year old Nutone bathroom fan

Click for full size
I work as a maintenance man in a multi unit HUD housing project. When bathroom fans go bad, replacing the motor and blower fan is the desired fix. I'd also like to find CCW metal squirrel cage blower fans at 9 & 1/8 X 2. I have spent some time at the various search engines to no avail. I have yet to call Nutone, but I am guessing they would tell me to replace the entire unit, housing and all,
(which is probably the best idea, but we're talking about a procedure with Federal oversight, so...)

Dell User
Premium Member
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT

Dell User

Premium Member

I just replaced mine. I found several places that sell parts this one was the easiest.
»parts.broan-nutone.com/b ··· archhome

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Grumpy4

MVM

to Grumpy4
Can you get the actual fan model # off of the housing. Nutone is usually pretty good about have a replacement. If not, take the motor with you to Grainger.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by Dell User:

I just replaced mine. I found several places that sell parts this one was the easiest.
»parts.broan-nutone.com/b ··· archhome

I'll have to call them and see if they can cross it over via the specs and perhaps more photos. To complicate the process, the part number shown is neither OEM Nutone or Broan. I tried this web site via the 600-04 with no luck. I am guessing however that 600 means Nutone's 600 series of units, but the 04 is not lnking up anywhere. I have a call out to someone who may have actually ordered these wiil fits, so maybe I will get lucky that way. I spent a half hour with a True Value / Nutone dealer and struck out.
said by nunya:

Can you get the actual fan model # off of the housing. Nutone is usually pretty good about have a replacement. If not, take the motor with you to Grainger.

I wish. The rusty chunk at right in the photo represents the condition of the inside of the fan housing. Critter-bit to be sure. I may be able to drop a housing and perhaps the model number is on the less rusty upper side. "Normal" people would just replace the entire units. I'm not complaining though, for the fan / blower swap out is a far easier fix than trying to make new components make nice with old 5/8 wallboard and vent ducts that were first used on the Mayflower.
(Where's that damned old caulk gun!)

A squirrel cage anywhere near the size I posted is highly elusive too. The plastic ones fail easily due to a simple compression band, but the metal blowers have a set screw that butts to a flat on the shaft.

Grainger is a good thought. I should send them photos and see what's up. HD Supply was not of help via their web site, but perhaps more photos to them would turn the corner.

My thanks to both for the replies. In typical federal gub style, this will likely become the $400 for a $75 fan escapade. Your tax dollars at work...

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

That motor there is not 37 years old. That might be why the P/N isn't matching up with stuff.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by jrs8084:

That motor there is not 37 years old. That might be why the P/N isn't matching up with stuff.

True. The photo shows a replacement motor. I did find one used 600-04 on Ebay, but I'd like to find a few brand new or even refurbed will fits. Could well be that Nutone discontinued these years ago. Not shown in the photo - an (octagonal?) rubber mount on the shaft side and the bottom for fitting the motor into the mounting brackets - perhaps to quiet the unit a might.

There is an odd logo on the label - it looks like a backwards capital R and a capital U with no space in between the two. The logo to the right of the RU looks a little like GE, but it is not GE. Don't have the motor with me, so can't say what it is from here.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

said by Grumpy4:

There is an odd logo on the label - it looks like a backwards capital R and a capital U with no space in between the two.

That's a UL mark: »ul.com/corporate/marks/u ··· america/

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Learned something new. Thanks.

I better get away from this computer now. I have 24 ton of gravel to rake into a crown. Thankfully I have a backhoe that did 90% of it, but... this was a nice procrastination excuse.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to Grumpy4

MVM

to Grumpy4
Before you replace them have you tried oiling the bearing? I've had good luck with ours (33 years old) just using a little turbine oil when they get noisy.

/tom
moofo
join:2004-02-04
Montreal, QC

moofo to Grumpy4

to Grumpy4
If you can't find by Nutone, check if this kit will fit: »www.amazon.com/Universal ··· 00ZI93PU

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

There is an odd logo on the label - it looks like a backwards capital R and a capital U with no space in between the two. The logo to the right of the RU looks a little like GE, but it is not GE. Don't have the motor with me, so can't say what it is from here.

The Recognized Component logo is why I knew that motor wasn't 37 years old (not to mention the clean label.)

The logo to the right is the Canadian Standards Association-kind of like the UL up North.

optionns
@comcast.net

optionns to Grumpy4

Anon

to Grumpy4
not mentioned yet, try any of your local motor rebuilding places. they'll probly want lotsa $, but still might be cheaper than factory replacements.

--
I tried searching with your photo label specs, in quotes,

motor "1/33 hp" ccw "1550 rpm"

and did get a few folks who show they have them in stock, under $20., others for $50.

under different model numbers

HD supply 6080-004 or
HD supply 250900
etc etc

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Thanks - that is the unit I'm looking for

»hdsupplysolutions.com/sh ··· Id=10051

Now, to find a 9-1/8" diameter X 2" metal blower wheel.

Termites
@cox.net

-1 recommendation

Termites to Grumpy4

Anon

to Grumpy4
You can't be Serious $50 for a Motor vs $32 for a NEW bathroom fan..

»www.amazon.com/Air-King- ··· room+fan

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4

Premium Member

I appreciate what you're saying, but the exhaust fan units in question are round and lighted. If you can find one of those that fits without re-doing the ceiling wallboard for that price, I'll be your BFF. Remember too as you read in post number one - this is a for hire / cost of labor job, not DIY, so that ha$ to work too, but I am very open to a link. I couldn't find one for less than $123 in round lighted.

Don't know the diameter off hand - 10 or 12" maybe? Not sure. The existing units have rectangular duct work at the visible from inside portion. Not sure if the exhaust turns to a round duct later. These buildings were as cheaply built as is humanly possible, so to say the exhaust units were discontinued at time of construction would not surprise me. I'll get the diameter Monday and post it up.
Thanks.

As it stands at the moment, I am still struggling to find any 9-1/8" diameter X 2" width CCW blower fans via search engines. It will perhaps require some phone time.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

You got me thinking now (I know, scary) I should pull an old unit down and see about converting to new square units when the need arises. The square ones are so cheap in price. The existing units hang from the wallboard, which scares me if the damned thing falls down. It kinda looks like they shoved the old units up, then bent some tabs outward to hold it in place. Maybe I can grab some wood from above for a conversion, and the new fan would cover the old round hole. Worth a shot to explore the possibility.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
Got no answer Grumpy, just my empathy for your job. Hope you're using this forum while on the clock. I've done it plenty of times, off the clock. Hope it works out for you.
radios4
join:2015-04-10

radios4 to Grumpy4

to Grumpy4
I think you'll find the round fixture is much higher quality, and throws more air than the square one's..

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to Grumpy4

Anon

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

I appreciate what you're saying, but the exhaust fan units in question are round and lighted. If you can find one of those that fits without re-doing the ceiling wallboard for that price, I'll be your BFF. Remember too as you read in post number one - this is a for hire / cost of labor job, not DIY, so that ha$ to work too, but I am very open to a link. I couldn't find one for less than $123 in round lighted.

Don't know the diameter off hand - 10 or 12" maybe? Not sure. The existing units have rectangular duct work at the visible from inside portion. Not sure if the exhaust turns to a round duct later. These buildings were as cheaply built as is humanly possible, so to say the exhaust units were discontinued at time of construction would not surprise me. I'll get the diameter Monday and post it up.
Thanks.

As it stands at the moment, I am still struggling to find any 9-1/8" diameter X 2" width CCW blower fans via search engines. It will perhaps require some phone time.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

You got me thinking now (I know, scary) I should pull an old unit down and see about converting to new square units when the need arises. The square ones are so cheap in price. The existing units hang from the wallboard, which scares me if the damned thing falls down. It kinda looks like they shoved the old units up, then bent some tabs outward to hold it in place. Maybe I can grab some wood from above for a conversion, and the new fan would cover the old round hole. Worth a shot to explore the possibility.

Not looking to hard this is a round bathroom fan/light it's $109 Home Depot »t.homedepot.com/p/Broan- ··· rc=aw.ds

To be honest about this why use a round one that's so expensive,when the square ones like in my link it's $32? The fan just sits up there with tabs.. Like you said it would cover the round hole nicely .

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Grumpy4

MVM

to Grumpy4
Call Broan/NuTone. They are very good about replacement parts, even for older units.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to Termites

to Termites
said by Termites :

when the square ones like in my link it's $32

That builders-quality $32 fan is very noisy (90 sones) for only moving 100 cfm and overall very low quality. I wouldn't even put that in my rental house, because it's so noisy it would never get used. I assume Grumpy wants something he's not going to be replacing in a few years.
radios4
join:2015-04-10

radios4

said by lawsoncl:

said by Termites :

That builders-quality $32 fan is very noisy (90 sones) for only moving 100 cfm and overall very low quality. I wouldn't even put that in my rental house, because it's so noisy it would never get used. I assume Grumpy wants something he's not going to be replacing in a few years.

Very true, they are basically a record player motor with a cheap plastic fan on it, and he'll get plenty of work when they break down.. not worth it in a multi unit apartment housing project..

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Termites

MVM

to Termites
You failed to consider labor.

Termites
@cox.net

Termites to radios4

Anon

to radios4
said by radios4:

said by lawsoncl:

said by Termites :

Very true, they are basically a record player motor with a cheap plastic fan on it, and he'll get plenty of work when they break down.. not worth it in a multi unit apartment housing project..

that was a example to show these fans aren't that expensive. but paying for a motor $50 that is outrageous.
Termites

Termites to nunya

Anon

to nunya
said by nunya:

You failed to consider labor.

15-20 minutes worth at that.. so throw in i would say 2-3 bucks.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

1 recommendation

nunya

MVM

To replace an entire fan fixture? I think it will probably take a little longer than that.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to Termites

Premium Member

to Termites
said by Termites :

that was a example to show these fans aren't that expensive. but paying for a motor $50 that is outrageous.

No, what's outrageous is spending $32 for a motor that's going to sound like rocks in a blender, doesn't move really any air, and is going to break again in 3 months. Personally I wouldn't spend less then $50 on the motor.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Update -

The fan and blower wheel procurement for in house inventory campaign went to the back burner for a while as other day to day duties took precedent.

The big boss did a site visit, and advocated changing out the entire fan and light assemblies when they come due. He is a smart guy with both common sense and lots of experience in many areas. I'll consider myself fortunate for those qualities in him.

I'm all for this idea, I just didn't think the money folks he works with would go for it. I have an opportunity to drop an entire old light and fan unit in an apartment, and so will try to recover a model number and then call or email Broan / Nutone for a direct replacement. I would think they could work with a scaled photo if the numbers are gone. I would be inclined to believe there will be an exact retro fit out there, and we can start steering in that direction.

My thanks to all for the replies

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I think that, even economically, having a plan to replace those fans on an ongoing, as needed basis with all new hardware is the way to go. Even money guys understand that costs go up, maintenance increases as things age and that old stuff does become obsolete. I think you've reached that point and your "big boss" is on-board with that. Let him convince the accountants and investors, that's why he gets the big buck.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Prior to our discussion, the method was always parts change. I think the tipping point was helped along by the fact that the fan motors alone are now $50 for a $20 something fan, likely priced at that due to their near obsolescence.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
To tell the truth, this is one of those times that you have to tell mgt. to get off some money. This is only one obsolete product and there are probably many more. What, with all the other work you have to do? Sometimes, pride takes a back seat. 37 yrs. old?