spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

[Speed] blast 105 to 150?

When will the rest of the country get the upgrade from 105 down to 150 down?
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl

A couple of answers:

1) how long has it taken to get this round done? We were talking about the (current) speed upgrades a year go - April 2014 - and I think that not all regions have seen it yet.

2) The answer, I believe, will be closely related to whether the USDOJ and FCC approve the merger with Time-Warner. It shouldn't, but I'll bet they are connected.

3) At this point, I would rather have the raise them cap than give me more speed.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4
There is no way to answer that.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to tpkatl

to tpkatl
they don't enforce the cap unless you are downloading terabytes of data. Most users don't even know there is a cap currently.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to tpkatl

Premium Member

to tpkatl
said by tpkatl:

3) At this point, I would rather have the raise them cap than give me more speed.

No one is forced to use full speed 24/7 or has to download anymore then they do now

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
I get 126 Mb now, so hopefully there will be similar overprovisioning when they upgrade my neighborhood. If they achieve the same 120% that means I might get around 180 Mb. Somehow I think I'm overly optimistic.
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

said by Wily_One:

I get 126 Mb now, so hopefully there will be similar overprovisioning when they upgrade my neighborhood. If they achieve the same 120% that means I might get around 180 Mb. Somehow I think I'm overly optimistic.

May I ask, what do you do that requires that speed?
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to Wily_One

to Wily_One
its safe to assume you will get 180mbit
im on a 8x4 cable modem

videomatic3

videomatic3 to sabretooth

to sabretooth
said by sabretooth:

i just downloaded grand theft auto 5, its a 60gb game, would be nice to not have to wait for it, at 180mbit it took an hour
imagine if you had 6mbit dsl you would wait for that shit a couple of days, and your connection would be virtually unusable in the mean time

i have 2 computers what if i want gta5 on both of them, steam doesnt do lan transfers, so maybe i download the 60gb game twice

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

2 recommendations

Wily_One to sabretooth

Premium Member

to sabretooth
said by sabretooth:

Not counting any wireless guests in my house, at any given time I can have around 10 devices going at once. (PCs/laptops, game consoles, tablets/phones, Roku, etc.)

The more headroom the better.
Wily_One

Wily_One to videomatic3

Premium Member

to videomatic3
Cool - I have 16x4.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Wily_One:

Cool - I have 16x4.

Is it the SB6183 modem? In lab tests, it's been shown to achieve 600 Mbps: »Re: [Equip] sb6183

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

No it's a Cisco DPC3939.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Wily_One:

No it's a Cisco DPC3939.

How is it working out for you?

If you change to a new Cisco DPC3941T 24x8 gateway, then it's possible to hit speeds over 700 Mbps: »Re: [Equip] Comcast introduces a new wireless gateway - the Cisco DPC3941T

[Of course, Comcast would first have to offer 24 channel bonding and "Extreme 750" service in your area to get that. ]

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

How is it working out for you?

Fine so far; I've had service for only 2 months. There has been only one occasion where a recorded program had some glitches, so dunno if that was a transient line issue or what.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

they don't enforce the cap unless you are downloading terabytes of data. Most users don't even know there is a cap currently.

Except if you're in a "trial" market where it's 300GB, and $10/50GB after that. I'm not sure where "Dacula, GA" is, but I do know that parts of Georgia are included in the trial areas.
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1 to videomatic3

to videomatic3
said by videomatic3:

said by sabretooth:

i have 2 computers what if i want gta5 on both of them, steam doesnt do lan transfers, so maybe i download the 60gb game twice

sure it does. you can either use the built in backup function of steam or just copy game folder and acf file from from the steam library folder.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to Wily_One

Premium Member

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

Cool - I have 16x4.

I have the Arris sb6183 which is 16x4. I am on the 150/20 tier. I get about 177/24
for ipv4.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth to Wily_One

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One See Profile
Not counting any wireless guests in my house, at any given time I can have around 10 devices going at once. (PCs/laptops, game consoles, tablets/phones, Roku, etc.)

The more headroom the better.
[/bquote :

Wow, that's like 8-10 family members at once. Great.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by sabretooth:

Wow, that's like 8-10 family members at once.

Nope, 4.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

said by Wily_One:

said by sabretooth:

Wow, that's like 8-10 family members at once.

Nope, 4.

Have you ever hit or gone over your data cap?
videomatic3
join:2003-12-12
Pleasanton, CA
ARRIS S33

videomatic3 to plat2on1

to plat2on1
said by plat2on1:

sure it does. you can either use the built in backup function of steam or just copy game folder and acf file from from the steam library folder.

or just right click and download it on the next computer, it doesnt require any thinking
plat2on1
join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY

plat2on1

said by videomatic3:

said by plat2on1:

or just right click and download it on the next computer, it doesnt require any thinking

I suppose that could be a problem for you. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to sabretooth

Premium Member

to sabretooth
said by sabretooth:

Have you ever hit or gone over your data cap?

I have no cap.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

When will the rest of the country get the upgrade from 105 down to 150 down?

We have no idea. I doubt you will see 150mbps because Comcast competes with Frontier in WV and Frontier isn't doing anything with WV. So I see it unlikely going to get 150 in WV.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

He's in WV and has Blast! 105? Us People in Chicago doesn't even Have that yet or Extreme 150.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by iNick:

He's in WV and has Blast! 105? Us People in Chicago doesn't even Have that yet or Extreme 150.

I suggest you re read what I said.

landrover
join:2013-09-17
Martinsburg, WV

1 edit

landrover to mikedz4

to mikedz4
I must be confused. I'm in Martinsburg, WV, and I have blast 105. Is extreme 150 not available here?

Edit: just saw the discussion on the new speed upgrades.
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

tpkatl to train_wreck

to train_wreck
NE suburban Atlanta.

We have had the 300 gb cap for more than a year now.

And to those who ask "have you ever gone over the cap?" or "what are you doing?". None of your business. That's not a relevant question. The fact is that there are essentially artificial limits on largely limitless resource.m (although in my case, there's a fair amount of work uploads and downloads that I do, and online backups, and a little streaming.

The question is NOT whether I have yet exceeded the cap.

The question should be: what am I not doing - more streaming, perhaps, maybe gaming, maybe Hangouts, or whatever else - because I am limiting myself in order to not exceed> the cap?

When the cap starts being a service preventer -- that is, it is set at such a number that it deters me from new services and new technologies -- then it is a limiting factor, for no reason.

Those of us in the Atlanta area who have been the victims of this 'experiment' ought to be rewarded for or forbearance. Raise it to 1 tb. It will keep me happy for a couple years.
sabretooth
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

I was just curious about the speed that everyone uses. Mainly because folks that have the 100Mbps service never really need it. Folks need about 10Mbps per person to do just about everything these days. I don't care if you can download a movie in 1 minute, I can do it in 4 minutes. There are some exceptions of course like a heavy gamer might need 50Mbps. But on average folks just don't need that speed that I can see. Yes I have a lot of devices connected but I an not using them at the same time. YMMV.