spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

transistor uses more power?

noobie alert,

im trying to learn transistor currents now.

i have a relay that use 65ma to run its coil, when i run this through a transistor specifically a bc500, that current goes up to 91ma, i have a voltage drop from 4.85 to 4.61, seems like a significant increase for a small voltage drop, or does the transistor use power to run as well and thats what i am seeing?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

1 recommendation

shdesigns

Premium Member

It should use about a miliiamp more.

Depends on how it is wired and if you limited the base current.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG to LittleBill

Premium Member

to LittleBill
Do you have a current limiting resistor of a suitable value connected to the base of the transistor?

Limiting the current going to the base is necessary, otherwise it will draw excessive current and damage the transistor.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to LittleBill

Premium Member

to LittleBill
Following your EEVblog thread. Is it working? Do you understand what they were trying to tell you?

Borrowed from EEVblog added voltages

lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to LittleBill

Premium Member

to LittleBill
said by LittleBill:

im trying to learn transistor currents now.

Please have a look at the big bold diagrams in this page: »learn.sparkfun.com/tutor ··· nsistors

As other pointed out, you have higher base current, which can be reduced. You can measure that voltage drop too.

LittlebillS
@comcast.net

LittlebillS to SparkChaser

Anon

to SparkChaser
Yes. I am all set with this. I learned a ton. Sorry for not replying sooner here. I was fried afterwards. I also figured out my issue. Apparently there was a 100 ohm resistor in my 4.7k case this is what caused the .93ma off the emitter. So I'm thrilled to have figured it out
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

1 recommendation

TheMG

Premium Member

said by LittlebillS :

Apparently there was a 100 ohm resistor in my 4.7k case this is what caused the .93ma off the emitter.

Always double-check component values before using!

Components do tend to jump from one bin into other adjacent bins from time to time.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

Yeppers. Quality time so far. My eBay account has so much crap ordered its scary. Sure is fun.