join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

[Help] 2003 VW Beetle Ticking Noise

Hello all,

We have owned a 2003 VW Beetle since 2011. Recently while driving we noticed a ticking noise that seems to speed up while driving. It sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. For some reason our mechanic performed an oil change today (had one in February if I recall). The noise is still there and we have to bring it back in. What could it be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Might be valve train or lifter noise

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to jm101

Premium Member

to jm101
Very first piece of advice would be to note in what pattern does it tick? Does it match engine RPM or vehicle speed? Does it do it just sitting parked idle or revving the engine a bit? Helps narrow down distinct parts of the vehicle where it could be occuring.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to jm101

to jm101
While the car is moving, put it in neutral and step on the gas. That will answer Vchat20's question. If the ticking speeds up it's probably something Jackarino listed. If the ticking stays the same, it's transmission, power train or wheels.
jm101
Oakland, CA

jm101

Thanks everyone! The ticking noise seems to match the vehicle's speed and it also occurs when idling. When revved in park the sound seems to speed up as well.

We'll give the neutral trick a try.

Thanks again!

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by jm101:

Thanks everyone! The ticking noise seems to match the vehicle's speed and it also occurs when idling. When revved in park the sound seems to speed up as well.

Neutral idling is the same as Park idling when the vehicle is stopped so you have responded so far that the noise speeds up with engine speed and also speeds up with vehicle speed. That means you have two different noise sources for the same or similar noise based on your reply.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by Doctor Olds:

said by jm101:

Neutral idling is the same as Park idling when the vehicle is stopped so you have responded so far that the noise speeds up with engine speed and also speeds up with vehicle speed. That means you have two different noise sources for the same or similar noise based on your reply.

Sorry for the delay and confusion. It matches the engine RPM. The mechanic said that the fix would cost something like $2000-$3000 but said the noise is harmless. Maybe we should get a second opinion.

He hates working on it because it is so tight.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

prolly lifter tap. how many miles on the car?
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

jm101

said by LittleBill:

Thanks! The previous owner had a rebuilt engine put in so I'd probably say around 30,000 miles.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

do you know what a valve cover looks like? have a person start the car and see if you can pinpoint it

zomgbad
@optonline.net

zomgbad to jm101

Anon

to jm101
said by jm101:

said by LittleBill:

Thanks! The previous owner had a rebuilt engine put in so I'd probably say around 30,000 miles.

PO replaces motor with rebuild then sells?

Huge red flag.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag

said by zomgbad :

Huge red flag.

Why? I would think that is a good thing. Would you prefer PO sells it with a problem engine?
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned)

They put all the money into the engine and then still parted with the car.

Either you put all that money in, it becomes reliable and you drive it to get your money back, or you put the engine in, realize there is a dozen other problems that will nickle and dime you to fix, so you sell it, citing the "new engine"

Or even worse, the car was driven into the ground, they fried the engine, then had a shade-tree mechanic swap it out. Who knows what else was toasted before it was sold...

I agree, red flag.

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG

I wouldn't worry much about an engine being replaced prior to selling. We see it all the time, we finish up an engine job(be it new/used, new head and cams, chains/cams) and the customer decides it best for them to part with it. They trade it in or sell it private and pick up a new Sierra. They don't like the feeling of looming danger that something else is going to let go.

Only thing I would be concerned with is WHO did the work and the source of the new engine. Both of which can be investigated.
jm101
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro

1 edit

jm101 to LittleBill

to LittleBill

2003 VW Beetle Ticking Noise

said by LittleBill:

do you know what a valve cover looks like? have a person start the car and see if you can pinpoint it

I am not sure. I will try. Thanks!
said by zomgbad :

said by jm101:

said by LittleBill:

PO replaces motor with rebuild then sells?

Huge red flag.

The car was given to us. The PO put a whole bunch of money into it and eventually gave up because of the problems. We initially spent around $1000 on work. Besides a few problems it has been running pretty smoothly for almost 4 years now.
said by FuriousG:

Only thing I would be concerned with is WHO did the work and the source of the new engine. Both of which can be investigated.

According to the PO, the mechanic wasn't very good.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28

justin to jm101

Mod

to jm101

Re: [Help] 2003 VW Beetle Ticking Noise

sometimes those engines have a fairly loud tick from the injectors. It is supposed to be normal. I could hear it from a golf, but only when idling and standing outside the car. It might not be the same thing.