Search similar:

uniqs
KillRoy
join:2002-07-22
Nashville, TN

KillRoy

Confused on Extender, Booster & Repeater

Hello

We need something...just unsure what or which to get to "Boost" a WiFi signal in a certain area of the house....

The House is around 1956. We have the "Computer Room" in the middle, AT&T U-Verse (their supplied router) and signal is good there. However we built a Rec Room from the old 2-Car Garage and there is solid Brick & Block not to mention a Kitchen & Laundry Room in between. So the signal is weak and almost non-existent.

I ran one Cat 5e cable from the computer room all the way there to a 7 port switch so to connect all the AV & Entertainment equipment prior to building out. But I'm at a loss as to what to get or look for...an Extender, Repeater or Booster...or what's the best way without too much hassle.

I do have an outlet in the Laundry Room area between the Kitchen and Rec Room. But I was like, is there something I can just connect to the Netgear Switch and get a stronger signal? Or is there a Booster Antenna to connect and boost the signal? Any help and /or suggestions would be welcomed. Thank You...

Kenny J
Nashville TN
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

3 recommendations

LLigetfa

You don't need an Extender, Repeater or Booster. All you need is a wireless access point setup with the same SSID, security, and passphrase.
TheAnalyzer
join:2006-01-20
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Synology RT6600ax
Synology RT2600ac

1 recommendation

TheAnalyzer to KillRoy

to KillRoy
Ok, so if I understand correctly you already got a network cable in this room from the router.

So then I would just connect a wireless access point to the router.
This could have a different SSID to the main wireless network. I would not 'extend' anything with a wireless extender if you have a cable there.

That could be a solution.

TA

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to KillRoy

Premium Member

to KillRoy
Any wireless router or access point will work. Just change its IP address (say if your main router is 192.168.0.1, set this new one to 192.168.0.2), shut off the DHCP server, and plug that cable you already have into any one of the LAN (not WAN) ports.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 recommendation

Brano to KillRoy

MVM

to KillRoy
How big is the house?
As mentioned, 2nd AP will do the trick. Either same SSID (different channel) or different SSID (different channel) ... whatever you prefer.

Alternatively switching your current AP for something more "pro" will most likely cover the whole house with ease. There are many to choose from, here are two:
»www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/
»www.engeniustech.com/pro ··· ll-mount
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

HELLFIRE to KillRoy

MVM

to KillRoy
These two FAQ items ought to help you out in regards to the 2nd AP setup

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using 2nd AP to extend my range?

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Regards
KillRoy
join:2002-07-22
Nashville, TN

KillRoy

Thanks for all the help...a certain 7 year old with a tablet will be happy.

The house is really not long but it's just where the laundry room is next to the rec room (old two car garage) is all Block & Brick. I ran a single Cat 5 cable from the computer room thru the attic and in the ceilings to the rec room before building out. I have a 8 Port Neatgear switch feeding everything.

Based on what I've read something as simple as this would work...correct?

TP-LINK TL-WA801ND Wireless N300 2T2R Access Point, 2.4Ghz 300Mbps, 802.11b/g/n, AP/Client/Bridge/Repeater, 2x 4dBi, Passive POE

»www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-T ··· ss+point

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

I have not used that particular AP but should work fine, just plug it into your Ethernet network and set it up.

As mentioned you can use the same SSID to provide transparent roaming throughout the house. Have not read the spec but if the AP detects usage and automatically selects a channel channels try that for a while but if that does not work out get a program like inSSIDer to view Wi-Fi activity near your house to pick the best channel.

/tom