Search similar:

uniqs
David3941
join:2000-12-27
Kalamazoo, MI
·Comcast XFINITY

David3941

[Telephone] Agh.....

Called Charter about my phone problems again. The caller I.D. will come up private caller. For example I call from work(on cell phone Sprint) comes up private caller(wife does not pick up). I call right back and my number comes up on the I.D. Having same problem with other cell phones(multi carriers AT&T, Version). Calls to confirm doctors appoints from hospital or doctors office the same thing. Caller I.D. might show or will be private caller. Tech is coming to replace the modem. I will see if that works other wise goodbye charter phone. My mother-in-law is having a similar problem with her Charter phone.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

1 recommendation

defiant

The modem has nothing to do with caller ID...

Zebaulon
Telecom Engineer
Premium Member
join:2003-11-24
Cleveland, TN

Zebaulon to David3941

Premium Member

to David3941
I am seeing the same behavior here in Tennessee. When calling a Charter number my cell phone, home phone, or office phone, my calls are often rejected with a message stating that the called party does not accept anonymous calls, and suggesting that I try my call again later.

I don't call that many people on Charter these days (I run a VoIP company and most people I call actually use my service), but it seems to happen a bit less often from my cell (Verizon) than from my office or home phones (which of course use my own service.) I can call any non-Charter number from my cell phone or from my own service and they see my name and number just fine.

I do have Charter phone at home (don't use it, it's just there because it's more expensive to NOT have it), and if I call from the home phone to it, it'll show up "Private Name/Private Number" on the TVs. If I call back 10-15 times, it'll eventually show the correct name and number.

Same experience when calling other Charter numbers -- just redial enough times (sometimes takes up to 15-20) and you'll eventually get through.

Another one I'm seeing with Charter is that a lot of times you'll get a call through, but there's no audio, AT ALL. The callee's phone rings (and my phone indicates "Session Progress" on the display as it does when the other end rings), but I never hear any actual ring. Then when they pick up the phone, neither of us can hear each other. I've seen this on my cell phone as well from time to time -- or even times that there's no ringback, but after 10-15 seconds the Charter customer answers and you can talk to them.

Just the other day I had a customer complain they couldn't call a lot of people because we had set their caller ID up to be blocked. Funny part is, I'm not even sure HOW to set our system up to do that (I could probably figure it out, but why? I'm not a fan of receiving anonymous/unknown calls, so I'm not a fan of helping people place said types of calls..)

Long story short, I asked them for some examples of numbers they can't call. They sent some back and sure enough they are all Charter numbers.

So it's not just you. There's a problem in the Charter network somewhere, and has been for at least a few weeks now.

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center

Icarus to David3941

Mod

to David3941
Was having this problem for about 3 weeks. The Rep escalated it to Tier 2 support,got a call back within an hour and the Rep said he had found an error in the config and it was fixed.
David3941
Kalamazoo, MI

David3941

Still having problems, I am about ready to drop Charter Phone.

tscotty
Premium Member
join:2005-07-04
Ridgeway, MO

tscotty

Premium Member

I switched from Charter to Ooma phone a couple years ago and have never looked back. More features and lower price. Ooma also blocks telemarketing and election calls.

Phone
@charter.com

Phone

Anon

Does ooma automatically block telemarketing or you have to go somewhere to set it up?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

You must have premier service for that. $10+taxes per month. Still way cheaper then Charter. You also get a second line free included. We also got rid of Charter phone and have now had Ooma for almost 2 years. Excellent service and zero problems. Just as reliable as Charter.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

B4Knight to David3941

Premium Member

to David3941
Sorry to hear that. The only problem I've had with Charter phone was the routing issue a month or so ago. Other than that the phone service has been great. The only thing that's cheaper than Charter phone is probably Ooma or some of the other VOIP providers. I might give them a try someday, but $19.99/month is hard to beat.

I'd say that something must be configured incorrectly in your local system.

Phone
@att.net

Phone to KoRnGtL15

Anon

to KoRnGtL15
Have my ooma coming in monday
David3941
Kalamazoo, MI
·Comcast XFINITY

David3941

Well Charter states it Sprints problem. They aren't passing the info(caller id). I asked about other numbers from the Doctors office, Hospital etc. They come up private sometimes and have to leave a message. Charters response was what is the number and I responded how should I know it say private caller! What a pain.
David3941

David3941

Dropped Charter phone and went to Basic Talk. Caller ID works! The price is lower for Basic Talk vs Charter phone.
David3941

David3941

Return the phone modem to Charter and found out........ They(Charter) knows about the caller ID problem. It started with Caller ID not showing up on the boxes(TV) and has expanded. Cell phones and landlines(other carriers) are coming up as private call.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to David3941

Premium Member

to David3941
I've never understood why not acknowledging a problem is somehow "better" than admitting the problem exists (and is likely being worked on). And it's not just Charter, I have seen this same behavior with other business and even places where I have worked. After it's fixed, they will share all the dirty details, but while the issue is occurring and everyone is frustrated and just wanting help/information nothing is said. Very frustrating.

Glad you now have a working solution.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI
ARRIS TM1602
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear WNDR3700v4

defiant

Why do you think they dropped "Communications" from the company name? lol

Keeping their front-line people informed about service issues, while not exclusive to Charter, has been an issue for many large providers. Why they can't/won't streamline such information distribution is beyond me...

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

said by defiant:

Why do you think they dropped "Communications" from the company name? lol

Actually, they haven't. From the bottom of their web page:
quote:
© 2015 Charter Communications, Inc.

Emphasis mine.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
Monroe, MI

defiant

It was a tongue in cheek comment (hence the "lol"). They did drop it for marketing purposes.