MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

5 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

[Equip] 2015 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

Please choose what modem you lease or own.

If you have two modems: 1 for HSI & 1 for CDV, choose the one you use for HSI.

If you don't see your modem, choose "Other".

This list is taken from Comcast's list of Approved Modems

[EOL] End Of Life Modems are not included.

Any corrections needed I will do my best to fix them.

**This Poll is intended to give members information about what modems Comcast customers are using.

It's not intended to debate which is best.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

5 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

[Equip] Re: 2015 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

Thanks for setting up this year's poll.

It should be interesting to see how many votes are received for the new 16x4 devices.

I see there's a couple of votes for the ARRIS SB6183 16x4 modem already!
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Re: [Equip] 2015 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

I have a SB6183

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Re: [Equip] Re: 2015 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

Interesting - I see that the Zoom 5341J 8x4 modem has taken an early 2 vote lead over the ARRIS SB6183 16x4 one (8 votes to 6) right now.

More surprising is that the Moto/ARRIS SB6141 8x4 modem hasn't had a single vote at this point! Maybe the earlier issues with that model had people switching from it to the Zoom?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

1 recommendation

SuperNet to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

Re: [Equip] 2015 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

Thanks for making the Poll, I voted

Desii
join:2014-02-25
Yuba City, CA

Desii to Johkal

to Johkal
I'm still rocking the trusty 5341J. I'm glad a lot of other people are as well. My area is chosen to get the 2gig FTTP upgrade. If that's not too expensive, I see no reason not to upgrade. I think waiting for Docsis 3.1 modem regardless if the FTTP works out or not will pay off IMO.

Puremin0rez
join:2012-02-22

Puremin0rez to Johkal

to Johkal
Just signed up less then a month ago for Comcast and was given the DPC3941T.

It has really good wireless range and looks pretty good but the firmware is very lacking (I can't even set my own dns servers) but I imagine all Comcast gateways have restricted firmware.

It has one huge bug though that I'm not sure is specific to my gateway or what - It cannot handle "server lists" in games. I'm not sure if this is due to some sort of low tcp limit or it simply cannot handle it - but any valve games server browser list will start populating the list, and while it does this, all other applications and computers are starved of internet and everything else drops until it finishes populating the list. I've tried other games with large server lists too and the same occurs. I'm aware there is an option in steam to rate limit how fast it populates, but even on the lowest setting it still occurs.

Ultimately I fixed the issue by throwing the gateway into bridged mode and hooking up an ASUS 87u router too it. So clearly it was the routing side of the gateway that was flawed. No more problems at all and significantly more control over my network.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Johkal

to Johkal
Arris SB6183, rock solid and mind blowingly awesome, just like it should be. I dunno how they'll ever top it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Arris SB6183, rock solid and mind blowingly awesome, just like it should be. I dunno how they'll ever top it.

The other "awesome" (yet "only" 8x4) modem, the Zoom 5341J, appears to be mounting a real challenge to it so far (this year's top Moto/ARRIS model - 11 votes to the 5341J's 10 so far).

In the polls for the last 2 years, the Moto SB6120/6121 and then the Moto SB6141 were the most common ones:

»2013 Comcast Modem Poll

»[Equip] 2014 Xfinity/Comcast Modem Poll

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

2 recommendations

Johkal

MVM

I would have lost the bet on this one so far. I didn't realize so many people had the SB6183. On a minor note, I'm surprised that more people have the SB6120 over the SB6121.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA

1 recommendation

mikev to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
I just placed the vote to tie the 6183 with the 5341J at 12 each... and the 6141 has 10.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Johkal

to Johkal
Well if one already owns the SB6120 and they compare the specs to the SB6121, they'd be hard pressed to justify essentially repurchasing the same exact modem. Yes I know the SB6121 has an internal MoCA filter, but simply spending $7 on one you screw on the SB6120 is much more cost effective.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Replacing a SB6120 with a SB6121 was not a thought. When the SB6120 was released, very few people "needed" a D3.0 4x4 modem.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ok. Just saying the specs between the two are the same so if one had the 6120 there might be very little, if any, reason to get the 6121 which would possibly account for your observation about more people having the 6120 then the 6121.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

By the time there was a need for a D3.0 4x4 modem, the SB6121 was what you would have been buying. That's what I am saying. I don't recall any topics I read where anyone replaced one for the other.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I get yeah. I was just saying I think I might have read a few somewhere with questions from people asking which to get since the SB6120 inventory was still being sold via third parties and online at a cheaper price compared to the SB6121 at the time. It was also a question being floated around by early adopters who already had the SB6120 and saw the newly released SB6121 and were being told to stick with what they had cause of the identical hardware.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
er, before I vote how do I know if my DPC3939 is what you're calling the 3939B variant or not?

Modem: Cisco XB3
Model: DPC3939
P/N: DPC3939-4068213-K9

There is "no bloody A, B, C, or D."

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

3939B is issued supposedly to Business customers according to the Approved Modem List.

pclover
join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA

pclover to Johkal

to Johkal
When is Arris going to release a 16x4 eMTA?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by pclover:

When is Arris going to release a 16x4 eMTA?

ARRIS has a 16x4 (software upgradable to 24x8) eMTA - the TM1602: »[Equip] Arris TM1602 Voice Modem - 16x4 upgradable to 24x8

When does it become available and approved for use on Comcast's network - that's the question.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That means nothing if customers can't purchase it in retail, yeah know?
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
Has anyone posted this on Facebook or Twitter to get other Comcast HSI subscribers to vote on this?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

That means nothing if customers can't purchase it in retail, yeah know?

Looks like Charter HSI subscribers could get one since last November: »[HSI] Arris TM1602

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

Has anyone posted this on Facebook or Twitter to get other Comcast HSI subscribers to vote on this?

FYI, you must be a registered user on this site before you can actively participate in any poll threads (a non-registered visitor can read the thread, and post comments, but can not vote). I suppose that externally advertising this poll thread might potentially draw new members to the site, but it might just turn them off when they find out that they must create an account before being able to participate in the poll itself.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by NetFixer:

said by Madtown:

FYI, you must be a registered user on this site before you can actively participate in any poll threads (a non-registered visitor can read the thread, and post comments, but can not vote). I suppose that externally advertising this poll thread might potentially draw new members to the site, but it might just turn them off when they find out that they must create an account before being able to participate in the poll itself.

Yeah, we don't want to have to bring in poll monitors!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Charter gave it to them, they didn't purchase it from like Amazon or BestBuy. I was saying it means nothing if a customer can't purchase it from a retail store and own it and be able to use it on the ISP of their choice.
lmk2045
join:2006-10-07
San Francisco, CA

lmk2045 to Johkal

to Johkal
I have the 6183.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by Mike Wolf:

The other "awesome" (yet "only" 8x4) modem, the Zoom 5341J, appears to be mounting a real challenge to it so far (this year's top Moto/ARRIS model - 11 votes to the 5341J's 10 so far). ...

I see that the SB6183 is still currently leading the 5341J by one vote now (18 to 17), with the SB6141 a close third at 16 votes.

gr33dy
join:2002-05-31
Albuquerque, NM

gr33dy

said by telcodad:

I see that the SB6183 is still currently leading the 5341J by one vote now (18 to 17)..

I just evened things up a bit.

I'm actually shocked to see so many with the 6183..

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
I may be wrong but I think for a while the only 16/4 modem available was the SB6183 which may be why so many have it.