dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chinook9
join:2015-04-19

chinook9

Q1000 working on 2 differents lines/locations??

I live in Colorado in the summer and Arizona in the winter. I have Centurylink DSL accounts in both locations and move my Q1000 modem back and forth. I have a different ppp username and password in each location.

Right now, my Arizona line is active and my Colorado line on vacation hold.

I just returned to Colorado. When I plugged in my Q1000 (still with Arizona username and password) I am able to access the internet. This has happened previously.

Am I on the Arizona line? Could you explain?

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

Last time I looked AZ and CO were in the U.S.A. Same country, same company. The thing that might concern me would be possible different costs in each location. CL just might be on the ball for once.
chinook9

chinook9

Is it really just that simple? I would hope it is, but just seems too logical.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to chinook9

to chinook9
My modem works in different parts of town, never tried a different state though.
chinook9

chinook9

I expect it is just that simple.

I was hoping someone could explain the process, that is, why it works this way technically. I'd like to understand it so I could project what might go wrong in the future.

Now I'll figure out whether to keep the Arizona or the Colorado account.

thanks all.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

You'll probably need to keep both "accounts" open in order to have both physical lines, but as long as each account is open, I don't see why one PPPoE User Name and password wouldn't work on both.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to chinook9

to chinook9
He would probably have to keep both accounts in order to have DSL available on the line to both premises but if they are different prices, what if he keeps the fastest, cheapest one and turns down the other one to the cheapest, slowest speed?
chinook9

chinook9

I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find out about needing to keep both lines operating.

If I can't get a definitive answer I could just close the Colorado account and see what happens.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

They will probably physically disconnect the lines from whatever account you "close." From CenturyLink's perspective, you're two different people. One of you lives in Colorado and one of you lives in Arizona, and both of you take really long vacations.

Regardless of how you try to think about it, you are using two physical pairs of wires and ports on DSLAMs in different locations. Those are resources that, if you cancel your account, they can sell to another customer.

As far as I can tell: CenturyLink doesn't really care whether or not you're there or have anything hooked up to it, and the fact that you're taking the modem with you to use in the other location. (And as such, doesn't have any kind of special pricing for customers who have multiple lines in different places for vacation purposes.)

Nevertheless, good luck! If you manage to find something magical and otherwise undiscovered, I'm sure many will be pleased about the discovery.