uniqs

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

SyFy: New Space shows, they look "cheap".

I'm sure most of us have seem the trailers for the new crop of space shows Syfy is getting ready to air.

IMO, they all look like shit. By that I mean cheap effects [like what you see in Dominion and Z Nation].
I guess were are past quality space shows like Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Stargate. I only named space shows that ran on Syfy.

So hopefully the story line will make up for the lack of CGI eye candy.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I actually think Dominion has some pretty good special effects.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I'm sure most of us have seem the trailers for the new crop of space shows Syfy is getting ready to air.

IMO, they all look like shit. By that I mean cheap effects [like what you see in Dominion and Z Nation

I don't watch live TV so if the trailers aren't posted here, it's unlikely that I've seen them. Having said that I just watched the trailer for The Expanse and I don't think it looks cheap. And I agree, Dominion looked fine too.

Which ones are you thinking of specifically?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Expanse:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gXIQmY-E

Joysticks and hanger straps?

Killjoys:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· LnjMqi78

Darkmatter:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· wBlTQfTg

Childhood's end:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· NpBjSf8g

Dominion:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 39MKsLV8

I just don't like the look of 'em.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

To each their own I guess Dominion and Expanse look more than good enough for me (for scifi on TV at any rate). There's not enough of Childhood's End for me to judge either way (and in any case, that's more of a "now on Earth" story than an "out in space" story from what I can tell).

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other about Dark Matter.

FWIW in BSG "The main flight control of a Viper is a three buttoned joystick, similar to a jet fighter." (wikipedia). So I guess that was a cheap production too.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

1 recommendation

captokita to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

Re: SyFy: New Space shows, they look "cheap".

SyFy shows looking "cheap"? When haven't they?

That said, all the trailers you posted actually look pretty good. I would probably give each of them an episode or two of my time to see how they are. Which for me is a lot. I don't watch a lot of tv series.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I guess were are past quality space shows like Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Stargate. I only named space shows that ran on Syfy.

With all due respect,...

Perhaps you're recalling things a bit rosier then they actually were?

The production quality on the earlier seasons of Stargate SG1 left quite a bit to be desired IMO. Granted those seasons were when it was aired originally on Showtime but still,...

IMO the trailers for these new shows look fine and I have an interest in watching each and every one of them.