IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Changing from one brand of disposal to another

Garbage disposal decided to bite the dust today, it jammed up and attempts to unjam it (shoving a wrench in it) were unsuccessful. The particular disposal doesn't have a keyhole to unjam it with a wrench so at this point I decided to replace it.

The old one was some off label builder's special that I don't even think is made anymore. The new one is a badger by Insinkerator from Home Depot. What was supposed to be a simple change out turned into a plumbing disaster with multiple trips to Lowes Depot because the pipes didn't match up. But I got it done.

What happened is when I got the disposal hooked up it made the pipe for the drain on the other side of the sink not line up so I had to do some minor plumbing work to get it to line up. But I got it done.

Question, is it common for disposal replacements to require realigning of pipes/plumbing or did I do something wrong. The disposal is a different brand.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

1 edit

4 recommendations

Jack in VA

Premium Member

You are a renter. Isn't the landlord responsible for these type repairs?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Landlord has me doing repairs I'm comfortable with, she reimburses me for parts. I'm thinking a new roof might be in the cards with the stains on the bathroom ceiling, THAT she can hire someone. Same with cleaning the gutters. Whether she follows through and puts on a new roof is another thing or this place can fall to the ground.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I replaced my disposal when I bought the house. The old one was locked up and wouldn't budge.

I was able to line it all right up despite the manufacturer being different. I'm not sure how a round object can have something on the wrong "side" per se...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I think the sizing is different. The old one was smaller, and the discharge tube was slightly higher. I had to put a longer extension on the drain that's on the right side of the sink. The right side of the sink goes over to the left into a tee with the disposal into a p trap into the sewer.

I could have saved myself some hassle by cutting the discharge tube for the disposal.
Expand your moderator at work
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Re: [Plumbing] Changing from one brand of disposal to another

Found pictures of the old unit in iCloud. It was showing signs of leaking then and in a thread someone said that someone (a previous tenant) had poured grease down it. It was a pita to get out and I had to use power tools.

Glad it's gone. Mom just wanted to take it out and put in a simple drain but I wanted to put in a disposal.

threet
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

threet to IowaCowboy

Anon

to IowaCowboy
looks like job well done.

lotsa alternatives.
among your plumbing friends are long flex accordion pipe, and the rubber flex couplers with two hose clamps, but you knew that.

and you know too the old rule:
"all jobs take three trips to the store, real jobs you bleed three times three places"

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

2 recommendations

LazMan to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Are you allowed to have a disposal anymore? Lots of municipalities are banning them, due to the increased workload the organics put on the sewage system...

Also, not to point out the obvious; but you did (presumably) un-permitted and un-inspected electrical and plumbing work on a property you don't own.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I know some jurisdictions are asking people not to flush those so-called "flushable" wipes due to their aging sewer infrastructure.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Are you allowed to have a disposal anymore? Lots of municipalities are banning them, due to the increased workload the organics put on the sewage system...

Also, not to point out the obvious; but you did (presumably) un-permitted and un-inspected electrical and plumbing work on a property you don't own.

I've never heard of any place in the states banning garbage disposals. I'm sure maybe the nanny state of California is doing it. Many of them don't like chemicals going down the system but pure organics normally help the bacterial action.

Along the same lines, I don't have any place where replacing a garbage disposal requires a permit. There may be a few but I'm sure they are few and far between. Replacing a disposal is a very quick and easy DIY project. The plumbing is just low-pressure drain piping and electrical the worst case is just connecting three wires (ground, neutral and power).
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to LazMan

to LazMan
OK he is a tenant which may be different. But replacing a garbage disposal is most likely allowed without a permit. Placing a new one may be different. But if I needed a permit for a disposal replacement Lowes depot would not exist.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell

I'm sure maybe the nanny state of California is doing it.

Nope.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
Massachusetts has a food waste law where large institutions (schools, hospitals, prisons) cannot dump food in their dumpsters. Why I don't know but restaurants and residences are exempt. So I don't see the environmentalist Commonwealth banning them anytime soon.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

1 recommendation

LazMan to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

OK he is a tenant which may be different. But replacing a garbage disposal is most likely allowed without a permit. Placing a new one may be different. But if I needed a permit for a disposal replacement Lowes depot would not exist.

Lowes Depot type stores sell gas pipe and fixtures, electrical equipment, etc - just because they sell it, doesn't mean you don't need a permit to use it.

Garburator bans are pretty common in Canada in the last few years; they dump a ton of organic matter into the sewer, which messes with the digestion and treatment process...

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

I know the guys that pump septic systems love them.
You are correct - there are many municipalities here (U.S.) that ban them as well. It would be hard to enforce. Personally, I hate them. More trouble than they are worth. I took mine out.
I have a garden, so I have a need for compost.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

1 recommendation

18189353 (banned) to nonymous

to nonymous
said by nonymous:

It touches electrical wires so it requires a permit in Massachusetts. His work is illegal.

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Not OP but wanted to share my recent disposal replacement story. Old one bit the dust so picked up a new one and while I hate laying on my back under the sink doing plumbing work was not about to pay for a plumber. After pulling the old one down, getting the new one in with attaching the electric, getting it properly lined up and screwed back on the sink drain (is it me or have disposals gotten much heavier ) I go to attach the dishwasher drain line and suddenly realize I didn't punch out the plug. Talk about a wanting to bang head against brick wall moment!!

Unfortunately, based upon the positioning and lack of room, I had to disconnect drain lines and pull disposal back out to get to the plug. Then of course reinstall. I guess it would have been worse if I didn't catch it and then wife had run the dishwasher.

Moral of the story is basically the same as dealing in wood, measure twice, cut once.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Back in the day, when washing patient's dishes in the hospital kitchen, everything on the plate except the plastic wrap went down the drain. The disposal we had was a monster, and occasionally a coffee cup went through it, noisy but just took a few seconds. We did have to stop it for silverware.
DataDoc

DataDoc to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I have a garden, so I have a need for compost.

+1
Same here.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to 18189353

Premium Member

to 18189353
said by 18189353:

said by nonymous:

It touches electrical wires so it requires a permit in Massachusetts. His work is illegal.

Should just have an electrician install an outlet on the disposal loop like I did on grandma's owner occupied house when I replaced hers. Then just buy the cord kit for future disposal replacements. I've seen many YouTube videos of these Home Depot cheapo Badger units failing after a few years. Maybe its hard water which we don't have.
IowaCowboy

IowaCowboy to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
And RotoRooter too when irresponsible tenants throw greasy food down it. The old one had streaks down the side of it like someone had poured hot grease down the disposal.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to 18189353

to 18189353
said by 18189353:

said by nonymous:

Maybe his is hardwired in. Mine just plugs into an outlet that is already there.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

said by nonymous:

said by 18189353:

said by nonymous:

Maybe his is hardwired in. Mine just plugs into an outlet that is already there.

Yea his is hardwired so permit required. If it's a plug then you can do it legally without a permit in Massachusetts. It's crazy you need a #%$^ permit to change a light switch legally in Massachusetts. I can't imagine having to pull a permit for 1 light switch if I want to switch from a normal switch to a Deco switch.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Plumbing should line up pretty close. If you ever get your own place and have to replace one though, forget that Insinkerator junk and get a Waste King. Amazon runs specials occasionally, saw the 1HP for under $100 a few weeks ago. I was tempted to buy another one. :P

Read the reviews on them. Top quality, and the newer Badgers are all brittle plastic junk.

We are on septic but nearly never run ours, mostly put it in to replace the ancient Montgomery freaking Ward disposal that was leaking at the top. Replaced the entire sink drain ring while at it. Barely had to nudge any plumbing to align.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Question, is it common for disposal replacements to require realigning of pipes/plumbing or did I do something wrong

Do you really think manufactures of competing products are going to get together and choose one design that is dimensionally compatible so that you don't have to change the plumbing?

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Garburator bans are pretty common in Canada ...

That term came up in a shop meeting recently. Some of the seasonal residents had called in requesting a replacement. The girls up front actually referred the gentleman to the local car repair shop advising they might have one in stock. Even some of the techs look a little perplexed when asked if they knew what the term referred to. I was grinning from ear to ear the entire meeting.
said by bmilone2:

I go to attach the dishwasher drain line and suddenly realize I didn't punch out the plug. Talk about a wanting to bang head against brick wall moment!!

Been there done that too. Since were telling stories, back in the day it was one of those late afternoon calls for a local photographer. My head wasn't all there. Slammed in the disposal, tested for leaks, collected and left. His wife starts the dishwasher and when it drained, it discharged through the air gap onto the counter where he had three high end cameras, film, paper work and misc. equipment. Paid through the nose for that one. (Sorry Dennis, had to tell that one).

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

When you rent you have a portable dishwasher. They're a pain in the neck as you have to move them to run them. I do put the hose on the same side as the disposal.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to psiu

Premium Member

to psiu
said by psiu:

forget that Insinkerator junk

OP, sorry for continuing the off topic, but my In-Sink-EratorTM was installed in 1996, still working just fine. Nineteen years, so not junk quite yet.
(Plugs into an outlet below the sink, controlled by a switch just above the sink splash panel.)
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill

Premium Member

Sorry, but the ISE Badgers ARE junk - cast metal chamber that (depending on your local water) can corrode through in a just few years.

When it came time to replace the builder-installed Badger, I switched to Waste King (stainless steel chamber).

ISE makes higher-end models with SS chambers, but at the time those were 1/3 more expensive than the Waste King.

When the time comes to replace, please, do the next owner a favor by skipping the Badger junk & buying a disposal with a SS chamber.
said by Chuck22:

OP, sorry for continuing the off topic, but my In-Sink-EratorTM was installed in 1996, still working just fine. Nineteen years, so not junk quite yet.
(Plugs into an outlet below the sink, controlled by a switch just above the sink splash panel.)