Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

3 edits

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Samsung smart tv not connecting to the internet

Please move if in the wrong forum
I went over to my daughter house to help her set up her internet service. We got the modem and router set ok. When we tried to set up her tv we ran into a problem.
When we started the internet setup we got this "the tv is connected but not to the internet". This what the screen read
(edited to add router name and model) the router I am using is a Asus RT-N66U.
She is Comcast for her internet. She has a sb6121 modem
Ip readings

Ip address 76.?.?.?
subnet mask 255.255.252.0
gateway 76.104.?.?
ds setting 75.75.75.75
mac address bc:14:85:?:?:?

We tried this using the router and straight to the modem with the same results.
Why is not connecting to the internet? What could be the cause of this?

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Why is the subnet 3 octet 252?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

First off I am not a technical guy with networking. I did notice that that subnet was different from the router subnet 255.255.255.0. We tried manually changing the subnet from 255.255.252.0 to 255.255.255.0 and using the same ip, mac, gateway and DS but it still did not connect. I do not know what the gate way is and does the mac as to match the router mac.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

dandelion to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
Just throwing this in here in case you have comcast: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· /1688261

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 recommendation

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by dandelion:

Just throwing this in here in case you have comcast: »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· /1688261

I do not know why I keep posting with out the stating exactly what is involved. She does have comcast for service. she alos is using a sb6121modem. I was getting this on a wired connection. the post you provide was for a wireless on a gateway modem.
kherr
Premium Member
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

kherr to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
set it for dhcp and let the router set it

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
For what it's worth, I had several calls similar to this today. I work for tech support for a local ISP. Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice because this issue is outside of support that I can offer at work. Just letting you know it might be a bigger issue.

The symptoms seem to be a Samsung TV and the inability to connect it to the internet regardless of how it's connected.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
I had problems with my smart TV around that time too in NJ. I think it was a connectivity issue when trying to authenticate my samsung account. YMMV

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to kherr

Premium Member

to kherr
said by kherr:

set it for dhcp and let the router set it

The router is set for dhcp.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 edit

Johkal to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
Your IP address should start with this: 192.168.1.xxx normally.
The router should assign an IP in this range automatically. Try manually assigning it 192.168.1.110

Make sure your subnet mask & gateway are correct also.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Your IP address should start with this: 192.168.1.xxx normally.
The router should assign an IP in this range automatically. Try manually assigning it 192.168.1.110

Make sure your subnet mask & gateway are correct also.

How do I find the gateway and subnet to make sure it is corect?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I'm assuming you have logged into your router previously from your statement: "I did notice that that subnet was different from the router subnet 255.255.255.0" ?

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

1 recommendation

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

I'm assuming you have logged into your router previously from your statement: "I did notice that that subnet was different from the router subnet 255.255.255.0" ?

On the tv it is 255.255.252.0 I tried changing it to 255.255.255.0 with out changing the others numberbut it did not work. I finally found out you use ipconfig to get the gateway numbers. I going over to my daught house after my laptop gets updated.I have a list of what to try.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Good luck!

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Good luck!

Thanks I am going to need it.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

configure the TV to obtain it's address automatically (via DHCP) - not by manually entering the settings yourself. To your question about the subnet mask from Comcast - it's fine - it's a /22 network (1024 addresses). Just let her router get whatever address it gets from Comcast via DHCP. As for the addresses you're using inside her network (192.168.x.x) - just stick with the default size /24 aka 255.255.255.0.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Caddyroger

Premium Member

to Caddyroger
My guess, The 76.x.x.x IP is the public IP, hence why he is getting 255.255.252.0 on the gateway.
Reboot the modem, connect the modem to the WAN part of the router and connect the TV to the LAN part.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger
I'll bet if you change nothing, it will start working again. Samsung appears to route their TVs through a proxy that they run and it may have been down.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
To the west

Caddyroger to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

My guess, The 76.x.x.x IP is the public IP, hence why he is getting 255.255.252.0 on the gateway.
Reboot the modem, connect the modem to the WAN part of the router and connect the TV to the LAN part.

I spent about about 3 hours yesterday rebooting the modem androuter. but could not get it to work
Caddyroger

Caddyroger

Premium Member

Thanks every one I went over to her this mourning and took me 10 mins to get it to work. Do not ask me how but the tv is connecting to the internet now.

Adam2488
@sbcglobal.net

Adam2488 to Caddyroger

Anon

to Caddyroger
Had the same issue for months with U-verse. Called and they had me manually change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it connected.
75733381 (banned)
join:2015-04-15

75733381 (banned)

happened to me too. I changed the DNS and it fixed it.