Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

Unable to connect to TWC's CableWiFi?

Hello.

I was in a L.A. Japanese restaurant and noticed on my old iPhone 4S with its iOS v8.3 on TWC's CableWiFi. I tried to connect to it, but it failed quickly (unable to connect or something like that error). How come? Its signal strength was almost to the max(imum) too.

Thank you in advance.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The connection to the Hotspot might've been down. Most of the time those are driven by Enterprise APs (at least in my area), and they won't auth if traffic cannot be passed back to wherever the centralized management is. Half of the times the APs just shut down.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 recommendation

OpTiC to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

Hello.

I was in a L.A. Japanese restaurant and noticed on my old iPhone 4S with its iOS v8.3 on TWC's CableWiFi. I tried to connect to it, but it failed quickly (unable to connect or something like that error). How come? Its signal strength was almost to the max(imum) too.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem with my iphone 5. I was in the a Special Thai restaurant in Anahiem.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

said by antdude:

Hello.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem with my iphone 5. I was in the a Special Thai restaurant in Anahiem.

Interesting. I wonder if they ever work!

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by OpTiC :

said by antdude:

Hello.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting. I wonder if they ever work!

My local Domino's Pizza have one and that hotspot work.
nygiants82
join:2005-10-09
North Brunswick, NJ

nygiants82 to antdude

to antdude
Its working for me here in NC. I have the fortunate to have a hotspot located near my gym.

I always connect to the TWCWiFi-Passpoint which is the secure connection.

The CableWiFi and the TWCWiFi I noticed are laggy for me, and give me all sorts of issues.

I have to manually connect to the secure connection one each time though, as my device tends to want to connect to CableWiFi instead. No biggie though.

But, I haven't had any issues with the hotspot around here.

Do you have the latest TWC WiFi profile installed on your device? Not sure if that matters, but I updated mine to the latest the other week, seems to be a bit quicker. Videos that I stream on my device are pretty smooth.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by nygiants82:

Its working for me here in NC. I have the fortunate to have a hotspot located near my gym.

The CableWiFi and the TWCWiFi I noticed are laggy for me, and give me all sorts of issues.

I have to manually connect to the secure connection one each time though, as my device tends to want to connect to CableWiFi instead. No biggie though.

Do you have the latest TWC WiFi profile installed on your device? Not sure if that matters, but I updated mine to the latest the other week, seems to be a bit quicker. Videos that I stream on my device are pretty smooth.

Is that the app? I read on TWC's web site that it is not required?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by nygiants82:

yes it's the TWC wifi app.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

said by antdude:

said by nygiants82:

yes it's the TWC wifi app.

And not required, right?
antdude

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

I tried again in another city...

... with its TWCWiFi AP while waiting to get an automated car wash. It also said "Unable to connect to join the network 'TWCWiFi'" [Dismiss button]" -- »i.imgur.com/rbNAN4O.png for a screen shot/capture. Same for "Cable WiFi" AP. I wonder if this iPhone 4S, with iOS v8.3, is too old?

Hmm
@rr.com

1 recommendation

Hmm to antdude

Anon

to antdude

Re: Unable to connect to TWC's CableWiFi?

I have tried several around Ohio. None of them work. They always fail or never will let you connect to start off with.

TWC's POS junk and half baked idea.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Hmm :

I have tried several around Ohio. None of them work. They always fail or never will let you connect to start off with.

TWC's POS junk and half baked idea.

Interesting. I wonder why.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by antdude:

All the ones in my neighborhood appear to work perfectly.

Hob

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

said by antdude:

All the ones in my neighborhood appear to work perfectly.

Hob

Hmm. I guess I will need to try more. I was able to connect to others' non-TWC/cable wifi APs. A few of them won't connect too. It's like a hit and miss. Repeating connections never work.