spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Gwai Lo Dan
join:2007-01-24
Mississauga, ON

Gwai Lo Dan

Separate Connection for "The Wife"?

Just curious if anyone has setup a 2nd internet connection for the other half. I'm thinking about it as I currently hear about any and all issues, including the router going down because of chinese p2p programs. With a 2nd connection, I think I'd have 1/2 the problems!

My old router and 15 Mbps is fine for me, and I am wondering if anyone has gone the route of 2 cheaper internet connections as opposed to 1 more expensive connection.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

I only have one 6/1 connection, but use two routers with different SSIDs on different channels. I can't compete with the neighbour's high powered Meraki gear otherwise.

What "old router" do you have? You may need a better router with more RAM and processing power to handle p2p traffic and QoS. Or even changing out the firmware if your router supports that.

Gwai Lo Dan
Mississauga, ON

Gwai Lo Dan

I have a linksys wrt54g. It's generally been good, although it overloaded a few times. My 2wire2700 router (before I used the linksys with modem in bridge mode) was much more limited and more often overloaded.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano

MVM

Re: Separate Connection for "The Wife"?

Looks like all you need is router with, or turn on, bandwidth shaping. Allocate fair amount for wife and be done with it. If you often saturate your link you may need router that supports codel shaping algorithm.
Not sure if wrt54g can handle it in terms of CPU but certainly an open-wrt based firmware like dd-wrt, tomato or similar can do the shaping including codel.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

You really should retire that router and get something modern with enough processing power and RAM to handle many simultaneous connections. This page suggests that that router can handle a max of 8 to 48 simultaneous connections, which when dealing with p2p, doesn't go very far. I'd appreciate others weighing in on this issue, particularly those that will cling to their precious WRT54 series router to the grave.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, I had to retire my WRT54G router a number of years ago because it couldn't handle the load.

And to answer the OP's question, you will usually find a single faster connection, is cheaper than two slower ones (but this is not always true, especially with TPIAs)
fefrie
join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

fefrie to MacGyver

to MacGyver
Read the story of this guy, of which he runs a apartment complex network with wrt54g.

»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· n.28349/

Based on his settings, I run a 7/0.5 network with 7 users. No problems

I could set op up for less than the price of a months service.

There is no need to run two accounts just so that torrenting can work.

With the proper configuration, P2P can quietly download in the background without interfering with other traffic.

Alittlegreen
join:2008-07-24
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Alittlegreen to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan
For what it's worth, We've been using an RT-N66U for the last little while. The qos is great. You can simply set your file transfer priority to Low (for torrents), Highest for voip, High for websurfing, and Medium for everything else. That way, as far as the wife is concerned, she's got the full internet connection speed on tap. Will certainly be cheaper than getting a second line.

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to Gwai Lo Dan

Anon

to Gwai Lo Dan
i have two - a zyxel usg 300 to do the load balancing and a 25/3 and 6/1 connection from teksavvy and lightspeed to do internet.
works great.

Gwai Lo Dan
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

Gwai Lo Dan to Alittlegreen

to Alittlegreen
Thanks. I'll look at the RT-N66U router after I move in June.

ipv6movement
@pppoe.ca

ipv6movement

Anon

said by Gwai Lo Dan:

Thanks. I'll look at the RT-N66U router after I move in June.

Since considering an ASUS router also take a look at the Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
dan991199
join:2007-10-01
St Catharines, ON

dan991199 to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan
i used to have cable (cogeco) and TSI 25/10 DSL the cable went to my wife's comp, and the TSI was for me.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Gwai Lo Dan

to Gwai Lo Dan

said by Gwai Lo Dan:

I'm thinking about it as I currently hear about any and all issues, including the router going down because of chinese p2p programs.

You mean PPLive?

Yeah my wife used to go on that garbage, until she discovered she can find all her shows on YouTube.
Expand your moderator at work
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

2 edits

Cloneman to fefrie

to fefrie

said by fefrie:

Read the story of this guy, of which he runs a apartment complex network with wrt54g.

»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· n.28349/

I wish people would stop linking to that guide. As much as I appreciate Toastman for all his work with the Tomato project, his QoS guide is an outdated, overly complicated disaster.

On top of being outdated and missing some key points, it's a brute force solution for dealing with dozens of strangers who don't cooperate, to make sure the connection is usable under a torture test of dozens of p2p users. It's not to setup a harmonious home network with fewer sources of congestion-prone activities, and users who could be trained to use specific ports for easier classification.

As far the OP's question: You could really use a more powerful router running a recent version of Tomato. 15mbps, when factoring in WiFi usage as well, is a lot to handle for a wrt54g. The bandwidth limiter (instead of QoS) might be a good option, although I'm ignorant on how to configure it. I personally use my own custom set of QoS rules which I summarized into this screenshot »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· t-229534