dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
agren_k
join:2015-04-13

agren_k

What's the best new vacuum cleaner choice?

Our very old and faithful Hoover vacuum sadly gave in and stopped working after about 25 years. Our local vacuum cleaner shop would not even look at it. It's time to move on and find a replacement.

We are not very informed about new vacuum cleaners. What are the best vacuum cleaner brands and options these days? Do you recommend upright or canister ones? What about bagless vs bagged? We do have quite a lot of hardwood floors, so we'd need something good for that.

I've googled around a bit and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/vacuum-cleaners.htm recommends Miele Dynamic U1 Twist, while http://www.vacuumtop.com/best-vacuum-for-hardwood-floors/ recommends a vacuum that's supposed to be specifically good for hardwood floors, Shark Navigator Lift-Away. What do you think about these two options?

Boooooost
@exelisinc.com

Boooooost

Anon

I believe Sears Kenmore is the most popular. I think a canister vacuum is best for hardwood floors.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
We have hardwoods throughout our house with a few area rugs. We use a Dyson Animal with the floor attachment, thing works wonders. You can hear it pulling the dirt from between the floor boards.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
I've been using Hoover bagless vacuums in the last 10 years. They have very good power. Some $100 at Walmart so I can buy 5 of them for about the price of an overpriced Dyson and the cleaning is on par (seen them side by side).
Personally I wouldn't get a vacuum with bag if it was free.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
Tough call. With canisters, you have to pull it around, banging into furniture and moulding. But with attachments, you can do steps (have any?), furniture, ceiling fans, and dust on woodwork/furniture.
With upright, some that have removable hose, it doesn't do a good job at all.

Miele is very expensive. Dyson looks like Hasbro toy. Go for another Hoover.
(I have a Samsung and it is a canister, bag and quiet "jet" model. PITA to have powerbrush for rugs, uses bags...I think its 15 years old. Replaced 2 bags in it all these years...tells you how I clean!)

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

We have hardwoods throughout our house with a few area rugs. We use a Dyson Animal with the floor attachment, thing works wonders. You can hear it pulling the dirt from between the floor boards.

+1, we have the same vacuum and on the hardwood floors it's fantastic. No, it's not a toy, it moves a SERIOUS amount of air and really deep cleans. I used to think they were overpriced gimmicks but after using ours I'm a believer.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by garys_2k:

said by ptrowski:

+1, we have the same vacuum and on the hardwood floors it's fantastic. No, it's not a toy, it moves a SERIOUS amount of air and really deep cleans. I used to think they were overpriced gimmicks but after using ours I'm a believer.

Bingo. With two dogs and a hoard of cats our Dyson gets a workout and keep on humming. S

bryank
join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

bryank to agren_k

to agren_k
Another vote for Dyson. 2 cats and a new puppy, the Dyson is a sucking machine! What I really like about it is how easy it is to disassemble to remove blocked obstructions in the lines. The attachments are fantastic and emptying the bin is even easier.

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC

The E to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
I haven't used a Dyson, but most people that do swear by them.

I've noticed that almost all of the manufacturers have really lowered their quality. Even the old great names like Electrolux, Miele, etc are now total pieces of overpriced garbage. It's a shame.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to agren_k

Mod

to agren_k
I love my Dysons. Although I have an Animal, I rarely use it now. The new V6 cordless Motorhead is now my go to for almost everything. They have a new version out with two powerheads - the original Motorhead for carpet and a new one specially designed for hard surfaces. Although you can't vacuum the entire house at once it's really easy to grab it and vac a few rooms at a time. Excellent vacuum, cleans really well. Notice that's "cleans really well (period)" and not "cleans really well for a cordless".

Shrapnel64
Premium Member
join:2001-01-24
VA, USA

Shrapnel64 to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
I thought long and hard about buying a Dyson (and planned to for many years), but I couldn't justify (much less afford) the price. There was also the concern about the Dyson ball technology being able to get around/under beds and furniture.

I ended up getting the newest model Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away (NV-652) vacuum directly from Shark (included some free accessories and a lifetime warranty). I have to say, this is one of the best vacuum purchases I've made.

I have 2 dogs, a Border Collie and an Australian Shepherd who just love to leave hair everywhere (yes, they do require additional brushing every week). The Shark model makes easy work of getting that hair up from both the carpets and from the hardwood floors.

I will say from a Bare floors perspective, while the powered head without the brushroll running does a decent job of getting the hardwood floors clean, I find myself using the Hard Floor Genie attachment more (it's a vacuum and microfiber pad in 1 tool).

The nice thing about the Shark is it goes from Upright, to Canister, to stand-alone very easily. I find myself using the Canister mode more often than upright, simply because I can just lower the handle and go straight under the bed with the powered head without having to stop, change accessories, then go under the bed.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
I use a shop vac for my hardwood floors. Pop in a filter bag and I'm good to go on sucking anything and everything up. Drop a glass, vacuum it up, bag of macaroni, vacuum it up. Its nice not needing to pick anything up.

Obviously wouldn't work on carpet.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
Having used both over the years, I'm partial to canister vacuums myself.

Boooooost
@optonline.net

Boooooost to cableties

Anon

to cableties
said by cableties:

Tough call. With canisters, you have to pull it around, banging into furniture and moulding. But with attachments, you can do steps (have any?), furniture, ceiling fans, and dust on woodwork/furniture.

And SPIDERS! You can vacuum the spiders!

Dr Wizard
The Wizard of Speed and Time
Premium Member
join:2002-12-23
Plain Dealing, LA

Dr Wizard to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
I love my roughly 7-year-old Dyson animal vac, but I've heard more negative reviews in the last few years about their reliability. I believe they've moved the original manufacturing plant somewhere, and that's when the trouble started. No ball, but the wand detaches and you can get up high at least...

Good Luck!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Same one I have. Still going strong.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to agren_k

Premium Member

to agren_k
So I checked this Dyson Animal out... I think I would like to go with the V6 cordless. I want to have my Samsung for the main floor, and wand for upper floors (wood).
Ah you can't replace the battery on the cordless V6 Absolute. Ouch $470...

LOL! I can buy 20 2.5Gallon Craftsman Shopvacs for that price! I think I will get TWO wallmount shopvacs (one for garage, one for basment), and a smaller pull-around for total of $280!
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to agren_k

to agren_k
Bought a Miele 4 months ago. It wasn't inexpensive, but I liked having a powered beater bar, and a separate non powered head that would fit into less than 6 inch wide areas for cleaning. We have a Miele stic broom for a few years that is still going strong. Before we moved we had a Dyson animal that worked well, but I didn't like the air powered turbo brush, and the fact that when you pulled it around it wouldn't track straight. The kicker for me was when we were looking for a vacuum at a local dealer selling Dyson, Miele, Panasonic, Hoover etc, I happened to look in the back room service area of the store, and there were at least 25 Dyson's in the back awaiting service. I happily paid another $90 for the Miele than the Dyson my daughter bought about 4 years earlier.