uniqs

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

[HSI] 377 feet from the line, even side of the road.

So we are looking for a new home and are zeroing in on one. So I called Charter to see if it is serviceable, and they are saying that since it is on the even side of the street and 377 feet it is non serviceable. I was told the only way to get a site survey is if I schedule service but I have not made an offer on the house. Is it always this backwards?

deals
@charter.com

2 recommendations

deals

Anon

Make an offer contingent on getting cable and you will have the realtor,homeowner and you working on it.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Please read some or all of the similar threads on this very issue in this forum. Based on the little bit of detail you included, I'll make a "WAG" that your services are poll mounted, on the opposite side of street for your address and that your home is maybe some extended distance from the nearest poll. Is this community also a "gated" community/HOA type of thing?

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You are correct, it is pole mounted odd side of the street. The house is 377 feet from the road with underground electric running to the house currently. It is not a gated or HOA situation. My major gripe is that you cannot have a survey done unless you place an order for service which I can't do since I don't own the house. I don't want to make an offer to find out after the fact Charter can't service it.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
Is the phone service also buried? I'm guessing you could get service BUT it would co$t big bucks if they have to bury it, including boring under the street from the nearest pole.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

It is buried. The realtor is going to connect with the family and see what they do currently.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
You might also check to see if the "township" or county has any kind of a franchise service agreement with Charter for the address.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

On it, called the town hall, they are looking into it.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
At this point it seems you have covered all the bases, here's hoping for a positive outcome that won't cost you an arm and a leg

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Found out the current couple there is older and use Frontier 6 mb DSL...I currently get 75 mb down with my cable company. Ouch.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

6 Mbps is really quite adequate for most use, unless you have a bunch of kids doing streaming.

I can only get 3 Mbps DSL from Verizon and it works just fine. Can even stream HD Netflix.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I have had that in the past and I guess it is ok, but we do have a teenager who likes to stream along with two people working from home quite often.
ptrowski

ptrowski to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
I tried going the Business route but since it is not zoned business he kicked me back to residential. Boo.
iwinrar
join:2010-03-18

2 recommendations

iwinrar

At least you didn't buy the house without figuring what's offered or have been told yes it is serviceable and you find out later that it is a no go. Seen both those situations on the site. Shame that we live in a time when confirming if you can get services before you can even buy a house.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

1 recommendation

pjsutton

DSL is certainly a viable option; don't not buy the house because you can't get cable. Now if you couldn't get cable or DSL, that's a different story.

DSL is here to stay whether the telcos like it or not. There are millions of people in this country beyond the reach of cable and who are happy/lucky to get DSL.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

aguen

Premium Member

said by pjsutton:

DSL is here to stay whether the telcos like it or not. There are millions of people in this country beyond the reach of cable and who are happy/lucky to get DSL.

Perhaps you missed this front page article: »New Jersey Gives Verizon Another Gift, Guts Consumer Protections [43] comments How much longer do you think their DSL service will last?

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

In PA it will last a long time thanks to regulations.

And companies like Frontier and CenturyLink, a while. Verizon will dump it off to someone else if they don't want it...hopefully to someone who WILL want it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Frontier just bought out AT&T lines here in CT

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

NO, they bought Verizon not AT&T
EDIT: Just kidding, I thought you meant California not Connecticut! It's been a long day...
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 edit

1 recommendation

aguen to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

In PA it will last a long time thanks to regulations.

While your history on this web site is somewhat new, I wonder of you're aware of all the times your PA legislators allowed Verizon to screw them over with promised service upgrades and expansions over the last 10+ years. You might want to also check out Verizon's sweet heart deal with New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine when they allowed Verizon to sell off their phone system(s) to Fairpoint and the ongoing pain and suffering of their constituents and Fairpoint.

Corrected to update Bankruptcy details.
»www.law360.com/articles/ ··· tion-row

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

377 feet from the line, even side of the road.

My PA legislature's efforts allowed me to get DSL by filling out forms, so I consider it a success.
See this article, written by me in October: »Filling in the Broadband Gaps: Your Tales of Connection

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
join:2002-01-07
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

geek to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Re: [HSI] 377 feet from the line, even side of the road.

Write/contact the local franchise authority. We did that when we built 3 years ago with no service on the street. They contacted Charter and that seemed to get the ball rolling. From the time of first contact it took 3 months to get the street serviceable. Better yet go to the franchise meeting. All the right people will be in the room.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

The town hall was of no help so now I need to figure out who the local franchise authority is. We are viewing the house on Saturday and will ask to have the site survey done.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT
TP-Link Archer C7

1 edit

1 recommendation

geek

Premium Member

What town in CT?
»www.ct.gov/pura/lib/pura ··· list.pdf
»www.cableadvisorycouncil.com/

Charter Cable Advisory Councils may be contacted as follows:
1) Newtown/Winsted system in Western CT, can be reached via email at
Chairman@CableAdvisoryCouncil.com, by mail at Cable Advisory Council, P.O. Box 87,
Newtown, CT, 06470, and the www.CableAdvisoryCouncil.com/ website.
2) Willimantic system in Northeast CT can be reached by mail at Cable Advisory Council, P.O.
Box 144, Willimantic, CT 06226.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Woodstock, most likely the Willimantic office.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

Wouldn't hurt to send an e-mail to Chairman@CableAdvisoryCouncil.com and see if they can put you in touch with the right folks and to find out when the local franchise authority meets. The worst they can say is 'we only handle western CT'.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

For sure, I will do that. I appreciate the guidance!
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to ptrowski

to ptrowski
Zoning means nothing. They will install a commercial account in a house that is zoned residential. Tell them you are running a home based business.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I tried as my wife actually has an LLC. No dice, the guy kept trying to kick me over to residential.

geek
Mad Scientist at Work
Premium Member
Southbury, CT

geek

Premium Member

Things like this should give you some hope. »www.cableadvisorycouncil ··· Plez.htm