uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

50/5 pricing in Rochester, NY?

Question 1:
I live in Rochester, NY. I upgraded from EarthLink last year to a TWC 50/5 package for $69.99 a month. I saw there was a promotion to get the same package from TWC for $64.99, but figured I wasn't on a promotion price. I got a letter in the mail, and my latest bill confirmed, that the $69.99 was indeed a promotion price. Now I have to pay $89.99. What gives? Had I known that, I would have stayed on my 15/1 package with EarthLink for sub-$50 non-promotional pricing.

After reading some threads here, it seems people pay $69.99 a month as a normal price?

I have my own cable modem if it makes a difference.

I don't have cable TV. Just RoadRunner.

Question 2:
I might get the 20 channel TV package sometime eventually. Will TWC run a dedicated drop from the pole? I remember this was a standard recommendation 10-15 years ago on DSLR. This house was never wired for cable when I moved in. The drop for my cable modem is new. I just prefer they run a separate drop if I decide to get cable TV whenever. Will they still do this, and is it still free?
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

It is a promo and they only last one year. Regular price is indeed $90+ (here it's $105 I believe). Just give them a call and you shouldn't have any trouble getting another 1-year deal.

AmyC
join:2004-03-25
Erie, PA

AmyC to fartness

to fartness
It's the same here in western PA. They claim we were on a promotional price for the last 12 months. The problem is, we were never told this was a promotion and no one can tell us what the "regular" prices are. They are not published and they can only spew out approximates. My husband spent hours at the local store to be told we are still getting a discount because the regular price is $104. When you call the main customer service numbers, they will negotiate various new "promotional" pricing depending on who you get. We finally got ours back to close to original pricing $71.99. It's a colossal pain in the butt but if you have the time, it's probably worth it to save the $18 or so.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Retail rates ARE published....

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· tes.html

More specifically...for Rochester.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· 2-RC.pdf

Stand alone 50/5 service is $107.99 a month.

B4Knight
Premium Member
join:2014-03-20
Colon, MI

1 edit

B4Knight

Premium Member

Wow! You guys (TWC Customers) get screwed just as much as Bright House customers do with standalone Internet pricing. That's ridiculous!
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I should be on standalone Internet pricing but they said it's $89.99...
Phroz
join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME

Phroz

said by fartness:

I should be on standalone Internet pricing but they said it's $89.99...

When my promo ended the bill said they automatically signed me up for a new promo at a $20 increase over my last one (but still $15 cheaper than retail). I assume it's the same thing for you.

But I called and got it back down to the old rate.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

2 edits

fartness (banned)

$89.99 is the new promotional rate for when the 12 months expires. I asked why I was paying $69.99 when their website says the promotional rate was $64.99 and they said it was online only, they can't give me the $5 difference that they should have lowered my bill by, and that now the $64.99 is for new customers (even though online, it says "online only"). They said they'll escalate the $60 (12 mos * $5) but that it will probably be rejected.

They said my service will be shut off since I requested it. Oh well. $20 DSL here I come! The girl on the phone told me it would take THIRTY MINUTES to load a page on DSL. That surely can't be right, can it? 30 minutes to load a webpage?

I spoke with a manager and got the same run-around. He at least "retained" me on a downgraded 30/5 package for $29.99 a month for 6 months and then $34.99 for the next 6 months, then after a year it goes to regular price. What happens if I move in 7 months, is there an ETF?
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152

said by fartness:

$89.99 is the new promotional rate for when the 12 months expires. I asked why I was paying $69.99 when their website says the promotional rate was $64.99 and they said it was online only, they can't give me the $5 difference that they should have lowered my bill by, and that now the $64.99 is for new customers (even though online, it says "online only"). They said they'll escalate the $60 (12 mos * $5) but that it will probably be rejected.

They said my service will be shut off since I requested it. Oh well. $20 DSL here I come! The girl on the phone told me it would take THIRTY MINUTES to load a page on DSL. That surely can't be right, can it? 30 minutes to load a webpage?

I spoke with a manager and got the same run-around. He at least "retained" me on a downgraded 30/5 package for $29.99 a month for 6 months and then $34.99 for the next 6 months, then after a year it goes to regular price. What happens if I move in 7 months, is there an ETF?

I have DSL at my house and it surely doesnt take 30mins to load a page, i can download an 8.4GB DVD image in about 20min on my 40Mbps connection from CenturyLink, TWC is just pulling your chain!

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Well first off, DSL in the Rochester area is hit and miss. Personally, I will not touch DSL where I live since they will only give me "up to" speeds of 6/1 in my neighborhood. A small part of the area here and there has been upgraded to 12 or 24 megs down. Frontier is a backwards thinking company lost in the dark ages and that is no bull. They will not receive my money.

Time Warner has given you a very good deal for the 30/5 service. I would keep my mouth closed and just go with it. The account is in your name, so if you move, then you should be able to transfer the service to your new residence. Another thing to consider is going with Earthlnk for your cable internet service. Intro rates of $29.95 or $39.95 for 6 months for speeds of 15/1 or 20/2. Then the price goes to $41.95 and $51.95 for their free standing internet service with no other services required. That alone saves you $16 a month over regular TW prices for the same speeds.

40 megs down on DSL here is just a pipe dream brad152. Congrats on having such great service.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

I used to have Earthlink but don't remember how I signed up for them. TW support wouldn't tell me. Oh well, I'll be happy for a year that this is solved.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

OK...you sign up for Earthlink by calling them directly. The transfer is handled over the phone and a signal is sent to your modem so that there is only a very brief interruption of service. Billing is handled by Time Warner.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to fartness

to fartness
you may check. I just received an email a few days ago for 50 + TV (broadcast) for $45 for a year (promo) with no forced STB commitment. Someone told me you could get 50 for $35 but I couldn't find the link. I am not that far away in buffalo.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

You guys have Fios in Buffalo as a competitor, right? That makes the difference. No decent competition in Rochester.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to elefante72

Premium Member

to elefante72
Click for full size
Elefante it was me who told you that, Here is the prom for maxx areas those areas will be NYC, LA, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, SD, Hawaii, Kansas City, Raleigh, and Charlotte.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to fartness

MVM

to fartness
Only in the rich suburbs around the Universities and a few Southtowns. Neighborhoods like mine got cherry picked or ignored.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 edit

elefante72 to OpTiC

to OpTiC
Thanks @optic!

I thought NT never received a TV franchise... In any case TWC CM service when I had it was always very good. They were wiring Amherst last month w/ boucoup fiber (now 2-3 per pole), so I only assume this is for Maxx coming soon. I would certainly entertain it because Verizon pricing isn't all that stellar anymore and TBH I don't really need cable.

@fartness, I just signed up the rents (CNY w/ nothing but TWC) for 15/2 + TV (broadcast) for $45+BTL broadcast fee just last month (for a year), so promos are out there. Prior to that they were on Earthlink (which is still TWC) for $35 a month for 10/1 (for a year). You can always flip if you need to to save a buck. It's a fairly painless process if you own your own modem.

I have never seen the TWC 50 price so low...which I think they may have made a mistake because Buffalo is still a pre-Maxx area.

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I have TWC in Louisville, KY and pay $64.99 for the 50M service. I am calling soon to drop it back down to the 30M because I still get buffering and freezing on Netflix when I'm the only one in the house and the only connection running.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Is a tech and an installer the same person? I might get TV but found out in another thread my signal levels will need a tech to fix if I get TV.

Racerbob
Premium Member
Webster, NY
·Greenlight Netwo..
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

said by fartness:

Is a tech and an installer the same person? I might get TV but found out in another thread my signal levels will need a tech to fix if I get TV.

Pretty much yes. The installer has the tools to check signal strength and to make needed changes so that your internet and TV work the way they should.
Weather88
join:2001-11-18
Mechanicville, NY

Weather88 to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

ou can always flip if you need to to save a buck. It's a fairly painless process if you own your own modem.

If you switch to Earthlink from TWC, will TWC start sending new customer offer promos again or not since they're still the ones billing you?