Search similar:

uniqs

paintref
Look, I see stars
join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX

paintref

[Help] Engine Oil capacity

I own a 2006 Nissan Altima and it is almost time for it's first oil change (Manual says 7.500 miles between oil changes, but as a compromise, I am doing it at 5,000 miles)

I am very confused about how much oil I should put in, the info below is right out of the owner's manual:

Engine oil
Drain and Refill With oil filter change
QR25DE 4-1/2 qt (US Measure) 3-3/4 qt (Imperial Measure)

I am assuming, given the above, that I should follow the US measure and not the Imperial measure.

I am also assuming, that they put in imperial measure for the rest of the world that still use the imperial measurement system.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 recommendation

Grumpy4

Premium Member

4-1/2 US quarts will work. It is likely also equal in volume to 3-3/4 Imperial Measure.

I'll throw this out just for good luck. No malice intended.

How to check oil on a dipstick:
Remove stick
Wipe clean
Re-insert into engine
Pull stick and ONLY then check the level

The first pull shows an inaccurate oil level.

The rag or paper towel used to wipe the stick is now a vessel of spontaneous combustion due to a flammable substance infused with oxygen from the porous rag. Throw it away at the gas station where you check the oil. Don't tuck it under somewhere under the hood for next time. Badd joojoo.

At home I use a small section of toilet paper to check a dipstick, then wet it with the garden hose before disposal. It's a smaller mass to deal with than a paper towel or rag.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to paintref

MVM

to paintref
said by paintref:

QR25DE 4-1/2 qt (US Measure) 3-3/4 qt (Imperial Measure)

I am assuming, given the above, that I should follow the US measure and not the Imperial measure.

Feel free to use the imperial measurement. I assure you, it will be 100% okay.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
On time alone your oil is way past due for changing and the oil in the crankcase broke down a long time ago. That may have dramatically shortened your engine's life and performance.

Your Manual shows TWO mileage change Intervals and TWO time change Intervals based on the use of the vehicle (see below). Unless you drive only on the highway then Schedule 1 is the change interval that fits most vehicles.

rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
WOW, that wasnt a typo? You really waited 9 years for the first oil change?

oldas
@comcast.net

oldas to paintref

Anon

to paintref
not mentioned yet:

yes, you are right. use the us qt measure specification, which matches the us qt measures in the us stores.

for checking oil, run the car for a while, then park it flat/level. wait 5 minutes for the hot oil to drain to the oil pan. then, as mentioned, remove the dipstick, wipe it, and reinsert it.
add oil as indicated.

for changing oil, run the car for a while, then park it flat and level. the oil will be extra hot, but you want to drain the old oil while it is hot and thin and flowy. yes, you can burn your hand/face/arm. have a big container ready. you can reuse the old oil for other stuff, like gate hinges, trailer hitches, etc etc., or recycle it. check it for any metal residues/parts/grit, which can indicate somethings about to go bad.

also, you will like to change the oil filter while underneath and dirty. have the correct one on hand before you start. some specifications for motor oil capacity include the oil in the filter, some don't, so have a qt extra on hand, to replace the oil remaining in the filter too.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

said by oldas :

for checking oil, run the car for a while, then park it flat/level. wait 5 minutes for the hot oil to drain to the oil pan. then, as mentioned, remove the dipstick, wipe it, and reinsert it.
add oil as indicated.

That is very vehicle specific. Most cars recommend cold engine. Some cars (I think VW is one of them) recommend engine at operating temperature.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

1 recommendation

CylonRed to rody_44

MVM

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

WOW, that wasnt a typo? You really waited 9 years for the first oil change?

Probably a new to him car...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

said by oldas :

add oil as indicated.

That is very vehicle specific. Most cars recommend cold engine. Some cars (I think VW is one of them) recommend engine at operating temperature.

Well the ones that say cold generally say that to avoid someone getting burned, the reason for normal operating temp is so the oil is more viscous so you get more of it out.

If I had a lift I'd do the following.
1. get to operating temp
2. drive onto lift (and raise car)
3. remove drain plug with a drain pan in place and something to help ensure the drain plug isn't lost
4. go watch some TV while it drains fully
5. put drain plug back
6. remove oil filter
7. let that connection area drain for a bit.
8. put on new fliter
9. lower car
10. add new oil to the spec.
11. drive a bit to let the oil circulate.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

That's exactly what I presumed when I read it.... I had to laugh at Doc Olds' reply that he "may have dramatically shortened your engine's life and performance". Ummm, it's been 8-9 years ! I think problems would have cropped up by now !
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

OldCableGuy (banned) to paintref

to paintref
Don't overfill. If you overfill the oil may froth or foam up, and this dramatically lowers the lubrication capacity. Here's how I add oil after a change on my Prius (also uses 4 1/2 qt) dump in 4 qts, then let it sit for a few minutes. Check dipstick. It will be low (assuming you got all the oil out, I use an extractor so YMMV). Add about 1/4 of the last quart. Wait a few minutes. Check dipstick. If it's below the middle of the "full" then add a bit more. Keep adding and waiting and checking until it's dialed in perfectly. Then, run the car and drive around the block, give it 5 minutes for the oil to migrate back to the pan, and check again.

I had a bad experience with overfilling an engine by just dumping in 5 qts once because "that's what cars take" so I am super anal about it now.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy:

5 qts once because "that's what cars take" so I am super anal about it now.

Wow, so you didn't check the requirements and just dumped X amount in?

I know mine takes 6 qt so I put in that much.

paintref
Look, I see stars
join:2003-02-21
Houston, TX

paintref to Hall

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by CylonRed:

That's exactly what I presumed when I read it.... I had to laugh at Doc Olds' reply that he "may have dramatically shortened your engine's life and performance". Ummm, it's been 8-9 years ! I think problems would have cropped up by now !

Exactly , sorry I wasn't that specific

But I would never wait 8-9 years for an oil change, like to keep my car maintained
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to Doctor Olds

Premium Member

to Doctor Olds
said by Doctor Olds:

On time alone your oil is way past due for changing and the oil in the crankcase broke down a long time ago. That may have dramatically shortened your engine's life and performance.

Your Manual shows TWO mileage change Intervals and TWO time change Intervals based on the use of the vehicle (see below). Unless you drive only on the highway then Schedule 1 is the change interval that fits most vehicles.

Depends on the oil used. Amsoil Signature Series would be good in severe service for 15K miles or one year (if paired with an Amsoil EaO filter when changed). It'll do 7,500 miles no sweat- highway or back roads.

But if it's truly been 9+ years (and I don't think the OP meant it that way) since the last oil change, then even Amsoil won't make those intervals...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

But if it's truly been 9+ years (and I don't think the OP meant it that way) since the last oil change, then even Amsoil won't make those intervals...

That's when you need royal purple

But ya if you use a top end oil and a quality filter you can do 10-20,000 no problem (there are case studies with royalpurple in use on cop fleets, and with that you have to realize that most of the revolutions those engines turn are while idling and not adding miles to the odometer.

So quality gets good results.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
I just throw the paper towel away after checking my lawnmower.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman to paintref

Premium Member

to paintref
They are the same quantity, just a different way of expressing the quantity. Put 4½ quarts in it.
fixrman

fixrman to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
said by Grumpy4:

At home I use a small section of toilet paper to check a dipstick

Do you use crappy oil?
fixrman

fixrman to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Seriously? Did it ever occur to you it might be a vehicle he recently purchased used?
fixrman

fixrman to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Well the ones that say cold generally say that to avoid someone getting burned

Wrong.

The reason for a cold check is that all (or more than one might see hot) of the oil has drained back down into the pan (with the exception of the filter in most cases); this ensures an accurate full reading.
OldCableGuy (banned)

OldCableGuy (banned) to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
Up until the 90s I'd never seen a car that took other than 5 quarts, and my shop class in high school taught us cars took 5 quarts, so yes, I just dumped it in as that's what everyone had taught me. Of course everyone knows trucks take different amounts, but it was very uncommon to find a car that didn't use 5.

Modern cars seem to take 4 1/2 so yes I google it now. Google didn't exist in 1990 though.

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

2 recommendations

Napsterbater

MVM

said by OldCableGuy:

Google didn't exist in 1990 though.

But cars user manuals did.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to fixrman

Premium Member

to fixrman
said by fixrman:

said by DarkLogix:

Well the ones that say cold generally say that to avoid someone getting burned

Wrong.

The reason for a cold check is that all (or more than one might see hot) of the oil has drained back down into the pan (with the exception of the filter in most cases); this ensures an accurate full reading.

That's why you leave the drain pan there for awhile, hot oil will drain down faster and more completely.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Napsterbater

Premium Member

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

said by OldCableGuy:

Google didn't exist in 1990 though.

But cars user manuals did.

Yep.

Always check the manual unless you know you have some non-stock item that adds or lowers the total oil capacity (Like an oil pan change, or added oil cooler) and if you have one of those items then you just need to know what it is.

my 85 t-bird takes like 7-8 since the prior owner changed the oil pan.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

2 recommendations

fixrman to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Oil should be changed hot. That way more of the contaminants will be removed, when viscosity is lowest.
OldCableGuy (banned)

OldCableGuy (banned) to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
Sorry, but the manual?

I guess maybe it's because I've always purchased my cars through the penny saver (or in modern times CL) but I don't think I've ever purchased car that included a manual. Even my Prius didn't come with a manual, although I found a PDF copy online.

If I don't have Google handy, you can ask the clerks at the desk at Autozone and they can look up the oil capacity of any vehicle.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to fixrman

Premium Member

to fixrman
said by fixrman:

Oil should be changed hot. That way more of the contaminants will be removed, when viscosity is lowest.

sounds like what I said.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to OldCableGuy

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

Sorry, but the manual?

I guess maybe it's because I've always purchased my cars through the penny saver (or in modern times CL) but I don't think I've ever purchased car that included a manual. Even my Prius didn't come with a manual, although I found a PDF copy online.

If I don't have Google handy, you can ask the clerks at the desk at Autozone and they can look up the oil capacity of any vehicle.

If you aren't sure of the oil capacity then go find out before changing it.

Even before google there were offline ways to get it.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to fixrman

Premium Member

to fixrman
Yea it did occur to me he bought it used. Thats why i was surprised doc made the assumption it was way over due and i ASKED the op for clarification.

Boooooost
@optonline.net

Boooooost to OldCableGuy

Anon

to OldCableGuy
said by OldCableGuy:

Up until the 90s I'd never seen a car that took other than 5 quarts, and my shop class in high school taught us cars took 5 quarts, so yes, I just dumped it in as that's what everyone had taught me. Of course everyone knows trucks take different amounts, but it was very uncommon to find a car that didn't use 5.

I knew someone with a 1970's 6 cylinder Jaguar that took 12 quarts.