uniqs

JSE
JSEyo
join:2014-05-16
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE

Eastlink rural Wireless just got worse

Eastlink was selected to serve the southern portion of Nova Scotia in 2006 by the provincial government under the BRNS initiative -- an initiative to provide rural Nova Scotian's with 1.5Mbps internet service via Canopy 900MHz, then "comparable" to such broadband services offered in urban areas.

The project was to be completed by 2009 -- yet to this day Eastlink has yet to complete the project and it appears it will never be.

Now, Eastlink is just announcing that customers on the system will have a 15GB data cap beginning August 1st: »www.eastlink.ca/ruralcon ··· ect.aspx

What a waste of 900MHz :P They saturate the spectrum yet offer less usage than the cellular providers.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

In Ontario, Hydro One (smart meters) and xplornet (wireless internet) both tried to use 900 MHz because there was no licensing fee. It has ended up being a complete disaster for customers of both companies. Industry Canada should have stepped in to stop both of these outfits from turning 900 MHz into being completely useless for anything.

JSE
JSEyo
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE

I would be nice if it were used responsibly. From my understanding, Seaside provides the same exact service in the upper part of the province and most get better service than us down here with no data cap.

I'm thankful that Aliant brought DSL to my end of the woods here because we suffered with this pathetic excuse of an ISP for quite some time. Unfortunately, there are many others who still have to suffer with it and now they get this beautifully imposed cap. Heck... my house is the last one on this road that can even get DSL. I can just imagine what effect this will have on all the kids who watch youtube every night until 3AM lol
Seaside
join:2015-07-05

1 recommendation

Seaside

Seaside was responsible for the 10 counties of northern Nova Scotia and Cape Breton, roughly half the province, in the Broadband for Rural Nova Scotia program. (In broad strokes, we had the northeastern half of the province, Eastlink the southwestern half.)

We did find that in many areas, the 900 Mhz spectrum got crowded, especially when we bumped up against territory where other WISPs were operating. We found we could eliminate some but not all of these problems with advanced synchronization—when all users cooperated.

Fairly early in the project, we began using a variety of other frequencies -- 2.4, 3.65, and 5.8 Ghz -- each of which has its own characteristics. We were able to solve most problems by using the optimal frequency for a given location. Most of our 900 Mhz radios will operate at 3.0/1.0 Mbps, but other frequencies are capable of higher speeds, so we are increasingly moving to newer radios in other parts of the spectrum.

We currently have ~10,000 customers on our fixed wireless network, which spans 30,000 sq. km. We have no bandwidth caps and no plans to implement them.

JSE
JSEyo
Nova Scotia
·Bell Aliant Fibr..

JSE

And that makes us all envious in the southern end of Nova Scotia

Eastlink just gave up maintaining their wireless offerings early on and see it more as a cash grab burden than anything else.