spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mrjoli021
join:2015-02-05
Hialeah, FL

mrjoli021

reroute public IP's to router

I have an ATT Uverse NVG589 modem. I put it in somewhat "bridge mode" and connected my router behind it. I am getting a dynamic public IP address from it, so the bridge mode is working. The issue now is that I need to route my assigned public subnet into my equipment. Right now ATT uses one IP and then I can use the rest, but that is not what I want. I want for the ATT modem to be just a modem, and not a router so all IP's are assigned by my equipment.

How can I go about doing this?
BleedingEdge
join:2014-07-14
Beverly Hills, CA

BleedingEdge

I just wanna put my name in here because I haven't even figured this one out yet and am curious to know the solution as well if anyone else has.
Does your equipment allow you to utilize secondary subnets?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

1 recommendation

mackey to mrjoli021

Premium Member

to mrjoli021
I did exactly this a while back.

1) Disable the "somewhat bridge mode," it does not do what you want.
2) Assign a private IP from the NVG589's pool to the WAN interface of your router.
3) Go to the "Cascaded Router" page and plug in your public subnet and use the private address you used in step 2 as the target IP.

That's it, you're done. All that's left is to configure your router to do whatever with your IPs.

Edit: said another way, from »forums.att.com/t5/Third- ··· /3693517 (he uses a 5031NV but the configuration's the same for the NVG series)

Got it working. Others probably already know this but there is a key assumption in "Cascaded Router" mode that I was missing. You have to make the WAN port on your internal router contain an IP address from the private range given by the 5031NV RG.

If my public block was 1.2.3.8-15 (.9 - .13 useable) then I would do the following:

Check the "Enable Cascaded Router" box in the Broadband link screen
Network Address = 1.2.3.8
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.248

Router Address = 192.168.1.14 (pick an IP address from the private static range below 192.168.1.33)

On your inside router:
WAN port set to static IP 192.168.1.14
Gateway = 192.168.1.254
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

Once this is all set up. The Public Static IP addresses (1.2.3.9-13 in this example) will come through the WAN port on your router without any interference from the 5031NV RG. With my ZyWALL 50 these addresses can be subject to virtual server mapping or "many 1:1 NET" from WAN to DMZ without any trouble. It's confusing to have your WAN port be set to a private IP address while sending the public IPs through but it works fine on my router.

mrjoli021
Hialeah, FL

mrjoli021

I would like to get one .14 setup on my router and be able to use 9-13 as I like. I dont want go give the ATT modem an IP address. Will "cascade router" give me this feature.
Public IP from ATT:
NetId:1.2.3.8
Mask: 255.255.255.248
usable: 9-14
dsando
Premium Member
join:2013-11-15
Cherryville, NC

1 recommendation

dsando

Premium Member

No, using the above example, the .14 will have to be used on your 'modem'/RG. You only get 5 usable IP's with U-Verse block of 8 (.9-.13)

»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· KB401045

Total Block Size Usable Addresses
8 5
16 13
32 29
64 61
mrjoli021
Hialeah, FL

mrjoli021

Im looking for a way to use all 6 IP's in my network.
dsando
Premium Member
Cherryville, NC

dsando

Premium Member

You CANNOT do it with U-Verse. It simply DOES NOT work. If you read the link I posted, U-Verse is ONLY selling you 5 usable IP's. If you need more, you will need to move up to a block of 16, which will give you 13 usable IP's.

Your block of 8 consist of:

Network Address
5 Usable IP Addresses
RG Address
Broadcast IP

You can keep stating what you WANT to do, and you will continue to get the same answer. YOU CAN'T. You only get 5 usable IP's with U-Verse block of 8...

@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

guest to mrjoli021

Anon

to mrjoli021
You can't use the ATT gateway as a modem. You'll need to fill out the supplementary network section in Broadband > Link Configuration. There you fill out the "Add Additional Network" section. There are a few online resources. Here's an example: »joeyiodice.com/configure ··· -router/

mackey
Premium Member

1 edit

2 recommendations

mackey to dsando

Premium Member

to dsando
said by dsando:

You CANNOT do it with U-Verse. It simply DOES NOT work.

Wrong. I did it and had it running for multiple years. You must use "Cascaded Router" and have your own router manage the IPs; do that and you have use of all 6 IPs.
mackey

1 edit

mackey to mrjoli021

Premium Member

to mrjoli021
said by mrjoli021:

I would like to get one .14 setup on my router and be able to use 9-13 as I like. I dont want go give the ATT modem an IP address. Will "cascade router" give me this feature.
Public IP from ATT:
NetId:1.2.3.8
Mask: 255.255.255.248
usable: 9-14

Yes, that's exactly what it will do. Edit to add: make sure to assign .14 to the LAN side of your router; the WAN side should get a 192.168.x.x private address.

at&t's router will still get a dynamic (public) IP, but it will be from a completely different block. You'll have all 6 (really 8) addresses to do whatever you want with.
dsando
Premium Member
Cherryville, NC

dsando to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
I respectfully disagree. Routing your public static IP's back through a NON routeable IP (192.168.x.x) and port forwarding is NOT the same as having public static IP's on your devices. You are simply NATting to use your IP's. This is not proper networking and will cause several problems if you want to use your IP's as real static public IP's.

mackey
Premium Member

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

No, I am not. There is NO NAT or port forwarding involved anywhere. Private addresses (192.168.x.x) are perfectly acceptable to use for nexthop (only) and do not show up as a source or destination anywhere (well, unless you run a traceroute). We are talking pure routing here, no packet mangling whatsoever.
mackey

1 edit

mackey

Premium Member

Ah, found my graphic. I had a NVG510 and use 172.20.x.x internally, but the setup is the exact same for the 589 and 192.168.x.x addresses.

dsando
Premium Member
Cherryville, NC

dsando

Premium Member

Your graphic(s) is not showing up for me. I will trust you, and stand corrected if you say it is working without NAT.

@hp.com

guest to mackey

Anon

to mackey
Huh, it's interesting you got it to work with cascaded router while when I did it for a family member at work I used supplementary network.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Not sure what you mean by "supplementary network," looks like it might be a 2wire/Pace thing. From what I've heard the "Cascaded Router" option was only added 2-3 years ago to those. My guess is the "supplementary network" is what the NVG series calls "Public Subnet," and yes, when configured that way you can only use 5 of your IPs.