Jimbo406
Premium Member
join:2001-01-07
New York, NY

Jimbo406

Premium Member

[WIN10] Updgrade to Win 10-now Can't Update iTunes-Missing .msi File

Error Message
Since I've upgraded to Windows 10 when I use the Apple Software Update to download the latest version I get the below error message. Is there any way OTHER than uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes to fix this?

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob

Premium Member

Not likely. That's a Windows issue I've seen far too often at work. Uninstall, reinstall, problem gone.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

1 edit

darcilicious to Jimbo406

Premium Member

to Jimbo406
And if I recall correctly, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes should not delete the music library related files.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd to Jimbo406

MVM

to Jimbo406
Yep I have the very same problem and MS Technical support refuse to take ownership.

for me uninstall does not work as it generates the very same results as the upgrade process.

Jimbo406
Premium Member
New York, NY

Jimbo406

Premium Member

Can anyone who is also having an issue please post on my forum string? Microsoft has a case number opened for it (not that I expect it to be fixed). Thanks:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 9727a0c4

td100776
Premium Member
join:2002-12-19
Keansburg, NJ

td100776

Premium Member

can you redownload the msi file and point to it when you try to uninstall?
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

Yep I have the very same problem and MS Technical support refuse to take ownership.

for me uninstall does not work as it generates the very same results as the upgrade process.

When you say you tried the uninstall, was that the Windows Uninstall A Program feature?

I've found the only way to uninstall iTunes when it messes up that badly is via CCleaner. That pulled it out (though I had to uninstall each individual program that installs with iTunes first and there are at least a half dozen, depending on the configuration)

NefCanuck
OldAuditor
join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor

According to Apple support, there is a specific order in which the various programs supporting and including iTunes must be uninstalled and reinstalled.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by OldAuditor:

According to Apple support, there is a specific order in which the various programs supporting and including iTunes must be uninstalled and reinstalled.

I simply went in sequential order as they appeared in the CCleaner uninstall list, no issues when I've done it that way.

NefCanuck

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd to NefCanuck

MVM

to NefCanuck
said by NefCanuck:

When you say you tried the uninstall, was that the Windows Uninstall A Program feature?

I went into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, selected iTunes and then selected uninstall.

I also tried to uninstall via CCleaner with the very same result. I did not try to uninstall each individual program that installs with iTunes first --- I may try that way latter when I figure out and identify the individual programs -- but that will be a PITA. Do you have a list of programs associated with iTunes that rely on that installer?
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by mozerd:

said by NefCanuck:

I went into Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, selected iTunes and then selected uninstall.

I also tried to uninstall via CCleaner with the very same result. I did not try to uninstall each individual program that installs with iTunes first --- I may try that way latter when I figure out and identify the individual programs -- but that will be a PITA. Do you have a list of programs associated with iTunes that rely on that installer?

I started with Application Support for 32 bit applications (publisher Apple) and went from their in alphabetical order looking for Apple published apps until I got to iTunes, removed that, rebooted the machine and then re-installed iTunes.

Be advised however the system will probably throw up many dire warnings and complaints about the removal of the supporting programs, but if things are broken anyways, what do you have to lose?

NefCanuck

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by NefCanuck:

Be advised however the system will probably throw up many dire warnings and complaints about the removal of the supporting programs, but if things are broken anyways, what do you have to lose?

The only app that is currently broken is iTunes so I will wait for either Apple or Microsoft to provide a proper solution to this dilemma. I do not like or suggest a removal process that invokes dire warnings.
NefCanuck
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by mozerd:

said by NefCanuck:

The only app that is currently broken is iTunes so I will wait for either Apple or Microsoft to provide a proper solution to this dilemma. I do not like or suggest a removal process that invokes dire warnings.

Maybe I overstated the "dire warnings" a bit (mostly complaints from associate software complaining that you are removing bits it wants, but you eventually remove that complaining software as well) but when Apple refuses to acknowledge that the problem exists, so they won't do anything about it, or suggests that the only way to resolve the issue is by the method I use, you're kind of stuck in limbo.

Hell, when Apple updates iTunes, half the time they update the US servers and forget to do the rest of the planet for days at a time (Being in Canada I've seen this time & time again when I have to download a full version of iTunes)

NefCanuck

Jimbo406
Premium Member
New York, NY

2 recommendations

Jimbo406

Premium Member

I contacted Microsoft last night only to be told that my ticket was closed and resolved. Why am I not surprised? Anyway, I was able to find this and it actually worked for me:

Press WinLogoKey+R, type Regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter/Return.

Click Edit > Find, type in itunes6464.msi (or the name of the problem .msi if different), change the Look at boxes so that only Data is ticked, then click Find Next.

You should find it somewhere like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{Long string of letters & numbers}\SourceList

Right-click on the immediate parent key with the long string of letters & numbers that contains the SourceList with the reference to the .msi file and click Delete from the context menu. This should stop the Windows Installer from looking for the .msi when you reinstall iTunes.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Jimbo406:

Anyway, I was able to find this and it actually worked for me

Thank you ! Jimbo406 See Profile --- worked for me as well