uniqs
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

2 edits

3 recommendations

PJL

Windows Media Center and Windows 10

As those of you using WMC with your cable card-capable video tuner card for FiOS service probably know, Windows 10 no longer supports WMC. But the nerds out there have apparently developed a way to install WMC with Windows 10. I first read about it on the Windows 10 Forum. This is discussed at »www.tenforums.com/window ··· y-2.html .

I don't really "need" WMC (I don't use a cable card) but those of you who do might try this work around and let us know how it works. I'll monitor the other forum thread and report back any significant news.

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

Thanks PJL ,

I will give this a try just to see how it works
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to PJL

to PJL
PJL,

I tried this and it appears to get installed correctly on my Win 10 machine, however I now have a "decoder error" when I try to play live TV. It's complaining that the codec is either missing or incompatible.

Anyone have any suggestions for a fix?
jblazea50
join:2014-09-16
Beltsville, MD

jblazea50 to PJL

to PJL
I installed it, but I'm getting Activation Failure while setting up live TV.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
DGGSLF and jblazea50: I posted your issues in the Windows 10 forum so we'll see if anyone has any suggestions. You can monitor the thread using the Windows 10 forum link I provided in my initial post.
In the mean time,
- DGGSLF: Do you have the Movies & TV app installed from the Windows Store? You might try that as it MAY add the appropriate codec. The app was free for me since I had the WMC add on to Windows 8.1 before the upgrade.
- jblazea50: Based on the many threads on cable cards on this forum related to activation, your issues sounds to me like a cable card activation issue. Maybe DGGSLF can help here since it appears they got further along in the process of using the WMC hack to the point where they are getting a decoding error versus your activation error.
O1OOO1O
join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

I'll bet they are related - not being able to activate DCA and the decoder error.

Even when trying the DCA override script from missingremote in Win10 // DCA still will not activate (and I also see the missing decoder error).
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Are the other WMC functions (e.g. playing DVDs, etc.) working? What about live TV from a TV tuner that does not use a cable card, i.e. for OTA broadcasts?

Update from the Windows 10 forum: Someone had the decoder error on live TV until they added the LAV filters as per the readme file instructions. You all might try that.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

Thanks PJL. I did not look at the readme in details, since the instructions seemed pretty clear. I'll take a look at the readme and report back. And I do have the Movies and TV app installed. I also have the "free" Windows DVD Player app, which Microsoft is giving to folks that had the WMC already installed before they upgraded to Win 10.
O1OOO1O
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

Yeah - already had the LAV codecs installed. Still no joy.
O1OOO1O

O1OOO1O

Well, after a couple reboots // at least now I am getting a display driver error about not supporting protected content.
O1OOO1O

O1OOO1O

After correcting the display config // live TV works fine. No guide data though.
O1OOO1O

O1OOO1O

Final update : It 'works' - just not very well. Non high value channels are fine, but since the DCA won't complete - copy protected channels don't come in.

No guide data, so it will select any numeric channel number, regardless if there is a underlying defined channel there or not.

Occasionally when tuning, it will error out with display driver not supporting protected content, while the next tune is fine.

So, while an interesting experiment - it runs perfectly in Win7 and Win8.1.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to O1OOO1O

to O1OOO1O
How did you correct the display config? I loaded the LAV filters and now I'm getting the protected content error.
O1OOO1O
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

Disconnected VGA from a KVM switch and hooked up diplayport to DVI direct to a monitor. My win7/8 machines have no issue with VGA / KVM.
jblazea50
join:2014-09-16
Beltsville, MD

jblazea50 to PJL

to PJL
It's not cable card activation error that I was getting. I have one cable card on the HDHomerun Prime, which supports 3 tuners. It's activated and running on my HTPC using Win 7. I have Win 10 on laptop and wanted to test it out. Seems like the activation is for windows (it's a large string of key that shows up and fails).

Also, I couldn't download the EPG, kept getting errors. Will look at the Win 10 forum to see if there's any fix.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to O1OOO1O

to O1OOO1O
Thanks! I also have a KVM switch on my setup, as I switch my monitor between my work laptop and my home computer. I'll try to do a direct connect this weekend when I'm not working.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

2 recommendations

Lt Belspur to PJL

to PJL
There is a version that was patched yesterday.

The guide is now working and the video is now working. HD Home Run Prime and Verizon M-Card

Here is the link: »forums.windowscentral.co ··· t3222374
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Lt Belspur, thanks for reporting this. I'm sure those with cable cards and devices like the HD HR will appreciate it. As I initially posted, I don't need WMC (I use WinTV, Beyond TV and Windows Media Player and love Windows 10), but those with a cable card and TV tuner card need WMC. Now they can move to Windows 10 and retain the cable card capability of WMC.

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

1 recommendation

Lt Belspur

Your welcome,

I have 2 HD HR. One home and office.

While I am perfectly happy running Windows 7, Windows 10 is still a baby. A few bugs here and there. But WMC was definitely a deal breaker for me upgrading.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Lt Belspur, your solution allows moving to Windows 10 -- and I highly recommend it. PM me if you want more information. But enough about Windows 10 -- back to the topic of this thread.
O1OOO1O
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

Well - gave that other version of WMC exported from Win8 a try; no change. I even wiped the hard drive, started with a fresh Win10 install in the event that the prior Win10 exported version was causing problems.

Digital Cable Advisor will run and pass, but not activate. Guide data still does not download. All of the non copy protected channels come in fine, copy protected ones will not due to DCA not activating.

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur

Click for full size
That is so weird.

Working perfect here.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to O1OOO1O

to O1OOO1O
Your experience is unlike Lt Belspur's so I suggest you contact them via IM to ask questions.
Since the discussion is ongoing by users that need WMP (I don't), and a couple of forums are linked that discuss this further, I'm complete on my thoughts. Good luck.
Mtaz
join:2008-10-21
Hawthorne, NJ

Mtaz to PJL

to PJL
HUGE thank you PJL for bringing this to my attention!
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Mtaz, you're welcome. If you have difficulties with this be sure to check out the Windows 10 forum link in my OP. People there have solved a number of issues, e.g. there is a possible solution to the guide not downloading.
Mtaz
Hawthorne, NJ

Mtaz

@PJL I have it up and running with patch 2 with a working guide, awesome! However the only problem that is a deal breaker unless there is a solution is Copy Once channels do not work, IE FOX Network. I get an error "System Files Modified" and then the program takes a fit. Have to kill WMC and relaunch to be able to watch live TV again. Going to see if there is a solution in the link you provided. Unless you already have a heads up.
Mtaz

Mtaz to Lt Belspur

to Lt Belspur
said by Lt Belspur:

There is a version that was patched yesterday.

The guide is now working and the video is now working. HD Home Run Prime and Verizon M-Card

Here is the link: »forums.windowscentral.co ··· t3222374

PJL I would update your first post to include this link.

Thank you @Lt Belspur for the heads up!

Lt Belspur
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to PJL

to PJL
Ok,

Looks like this is till a work in progress. Still some bugs bet getting better.

Version 5 is available:

»www.datafilehost.com/d/1e6851ab
Mtaz
Hawthorne, NJ

Mtaz

V6 is out, guide working and language packs slip streamed. Some are saying running sfc /scannow after install allows the playing of DRM channels. Certainly still a work in progress but getting there...

»forums.mydigitallife.inf ··· t1142647
Mtaz

Mtaz to PJL

to PJL
Just an update to all that are follwing this thread. Below is a quote from one of the devs working on this. They are working hard at getting DRM channels working.

"If WMC pack didn't work on 8.1 machine (which already have those files and same version as pack), then i see no point of porting those files to 10 ---End Quote--- It's something in there that is causing the disconnect on the DRM'ed TV programs/channels. This is what we are trying to find out... It all works on WMP, Playready and DRM. We need to find the connection that makes them all work together to fix this problem and the full codec pack seems like the right place."