All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sppunk
join:2014-09-30

1 recommendation

sppunk

[CustSvc] Outdoor green box (cable cover) is gone, who to contact?

An idiot neighbor last week ran over the green box that covers the Comcast wire bundle (node if you will) and now all wires are exposed with a piece of the broken green box across the field.

I called Comcast and the CSR had no idea what I was talking about and told me it's not a Comcast problem (ha). Anyone know any way to get them to come replace that cover? I'm sure the wires sitting out in the rain, snow, mud, kids playing, etc. isn't good for them or my Internet connection!

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck

[CustSvc] Re: Outdoor green box (cable cover) is gone, who to contact?

Apart from calling in, try posting in the Direct forum here

»Comcast Direct
sppunk

sppunk

Didn't know that was already in operation. Cool, thanks!
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA

1 recommendation

mikev

Premium Member

You might want to take a picture and attach it to your post, so they can see the damage... you might also want to include your address or one near the box so they know where to send a tech.

DaveUSNret
Premium Member
join:2002-02-03
Yorkville, IL

1 recommendation

DaveUSNret to sppunk

Premium Member

to sppunk

Re: [CustSvc] Outdoor green box (cable cover) is gone, who to contact?

We've had the same problem on the side of our apartment building. I've called it in twice and both times supposedly they had somone come out and "fix" it. Box cover is still hanging open with no action though. Apparently if they can't charge someone for it no work gets done

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

3 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to sppunk

Premium Member

to sppunk
Show us the carnage too please. :P It may or may not be Comcast's - it could be the telephone companies. The description of a wire bundle makes it sound more like copper twisted pair rather than coax.

Post a pic and we can say for sure.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

It sounds like a tap with a couple of drops. But a pic would tell for sure.
sppunk

1 recommendation

sppunk

Click for full size
Sorry for the delay in my response. Comcast has a ticket set up to repair - a construction manager called me yesterday to say it is in the system and they'll have to dig it out to repair probably

I took a photo as requested. I'm attaching but in case that doesn't work I uploaded it here to: »s13.postimg.org/3rctpofc ··· mage.jpg
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA

Premium Member

said by sppunk:

HOLY TAP! That's Comcast all right! You must live in a densely developed area with all underground? Most of the underground ones I've seen are like 1 or 2 drops off of a tap. That's interesting to say the least!

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to sppunk

Premium Member

to sppunk
said by sppunk:

An idiot neighbor ...

if you know which one, let Comcast know. It's at least a little bit satisfying when people who act like that get the bill for their actions. doesn't matter if they are drunk, clumsy, or just plain stupid.
Blizzard
join:2014-09-21

Blizzard to sppunk

to sppunk
Have you had any issues with your service since this happened?
sppunk

1 recommendation

sppunk to BiggA

to BiggA
said by BiggA:

said by sppunk:

HOLY TAP! That's Comcast all right! You must live in a densely developed area with all underground? Most of the underground ones I've seen are like 1 or 2 drops off of a tap. That's interesting to say the least!

Yeah, middle of a city. Underground wiring.
sppunk

1 recommendation

sppunk to Blizzard

to Blizzard
said by Blizzard:

Have you had any issues with your service since this happened?

No issues at all yet, it's been like this about two months I guess and I just now thought about contacting Comcast, my house intake is at most 25' from this node/tap/whatever the correct term is.
sppunk

sppunk to tshirt

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by sppunk:

An idiot neighbor ...

if you know which one, let Comcast know. It's at least a little bit satisfying when people who act like that get the bill for their actions. doesn't matter if they are drunk, clumsy, or just plain stupid.

Unfortunately they rents age I haven't seen that car in the past few weeks. It may have been a guest who couldn't park actually.

maxbrando
Premium Member
join:2014-06-01
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by sppunk:

said by tshirt:

said by sppunk:

An idiot neighbor ...

Unfortunately they rents age I haven't seen that car in the past few weeks. It may have been a guest who couldn't park actually.

Or judging by terminator on one port on the tap and the cable that is hanging loose in the bundle that isn't screwed to on to the threads on the terminator, may be they purposely ran over the enclosure to try to steal cable.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

3 recommendations

BiggA

Premium Member

said by maxbrando:

A) That would be hilariously dumb since there's nothing there to steal anymore with everything digital/encrypted.

B) That makes no sense, as those things are just sitting there. You can just pick it up and get access to everything.

maxbrando
Premium Member
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

1 recommendation

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by BiggA:

A) That would be hilariously dumb since there's nothing there to steal anymore with everything digital/encrypted.

Notice the word "try"
said by BiggA:

B) That makes no sense, as those things are just sitting there. You can just pick it up and get access to everything.

Aren't peds supposed to be anchored into the ground and locked?

Luke_
Its all in your head
join:2015-08-27
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

Luke_

Yeah peds are anchored to the ground by that silver metal thing you can see behind the black tag with the "0" on it. Its still anchored by the looks of it; just seems it was never buried deep enough into the ground. They are usually locked but cable companies are starting to ease the locking rule since the transition to all digital.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to maxbrando

Premium Member

to maxbrando
said by maxbrando:

Not that I'm aware of. There is no mechanism on the plastic ones to lock, they just sit there over the metal stake, which is anchored into the ground. Maybe other areas have different types of housings.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

Are ground peds (taps) look very similar to what the pic shows they all have small locks at the bottom but they are never locked.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA to maxbrando

Premium Member

to maxbrando
said by maxbrando:

I took a walk today, and the older metal ones do have lock holes, with no locks. I don't think in the area I was walking in, they ever had locks, as it's bunch of ginormous houses that Comcast wasn't worried about stealing cable back in the day. The newer plastic ones, however, don't have any locking mechanism, and aren't even really retained that well. They just sort of stick there in the dirt.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to BiggA

to BiggA
the one pictured used what called a P key, it is lockable. Our area switched to a biger square style ped....likely the OP will have a larger ped when its replaced.
sppunk

1 recommendation

sppunk

FWIW this was repaired Monday. Many thanks to the Concast Direct guys!

Here is the photo after repair (it's not letting me attach it on my phone) »s2.postimg.org/kfuksicyx ··· mage.jpg
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to sppunk

Premium Member

to sppunk
Did you lose internet connection during the repair or were you able to watch Jessica Jones with no problems during the repair?
sppunk

sppunk

said by Madtown:

Did you lose internet connection during the repair or were you able to watch Jessica Jones with no problems during the repair?

Ha! We were working but outer modem hadn't been reset or anything so I'm guessing not.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by sppunk:

said by Madtown:

Ha! We were working but outer modem hadn't been reset or anything so I'm guessing not.

That's a good thing.

SpottedCat
join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

SpottedCat to sppunk

to sppunk
I'm curious, when did Comcast switch to using orange coax? I remember black coax used to be the standard; now all I see is orange for underground runs.

It's definitely smart; makes the cable easier to see if you don't call before you dig. But of course we all do, right?

maxbrando
Premium Member
Netgear WNDR3700v4
SMC D3CM1604
ARRIS TM602G

maxbrando

Premium Member

said by SpottedCat:

I'm curious, when did Comcast switch to using orange coax? I remember black coax used to be the standard; now all I see is orange for underground runs.

It's definitely smart; makes the cable easier to see if you don't call before you dig. But of course we all do, right?

The first time my grandma's drop was replaced in 2005 here in central Indiana they were using orange cable, I think the original drop from 2003 was orange as well but I don't remember.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to SpottedCat

Premium Member

to SpottedCat
I think ours in NJ is black but the development was put in 1995.

My guess is maybe they got tired of people digging up their lines, The idiots who cannot be bothered to call before they dig. Orange is nice and visible.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

BiggA to maxbrando

Premium Member

to maxbrando
I don't know if it's code or voluntary, but the industries all standardized color coding for underground lines at some point. Blue water, green sewer, yellow gas, red electric, orange telecom/CATV, etc. Makes things a lot safer for utility workers when they know orange can't hurt them but yellow or red has to be handled with care.