Search similar:

uniqs

choco50000
choco50000
join:2001-09-27
Jackson, NJ

choco50000

Enginer88..help! they bricked my modem! :(

i jsut got home, and my modem didnt work. I called them up, and they said it was disabled, but no reason why...

Could you please find out whats up?

my mac addy is 0004bd02cb52

If you can please unbrick it...i need to get some work done tonite..and this dialup is killing me

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel

Premium Member

I don't think they can unbrick a modem. Can they? I guess it would depend on why it was bricked. Call them back and demand to know why!

choco50000
choco50000
Jackson, NJ

choco50000

no they cant, they said i have to wait for a call....

this totally sucks...my 4 months of pure heaven has just been shot down by some goof up
choco50000

choco50000

I got a call from Sam, and turns out cause there was an open smtp port and a ftp port, the modem was bricked....had to shut taht down.... i didnt even know it was there....i wonder how much band got pulled....
choco50000

choco50000

o by the way, concerning servers, he said NONE AT ALL...he doesnt care how small it is....he wont allow it...and he seemed pretty pissed....kept saying "what part of no servers dont you understand" ....

just thought id let everyone out there know bout htat...i think he was in one of his better moods cause he let me back on..but others might not be as lucky

briankeys
join:2002-04-09
Monroe, NY

briankeys to choco50000

to choco50000
thats harsh man... did you honestly not know about your servers?

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to choco50000

Premium Member

to choco50000
said by choco50000:
I got a call from Sam, and turns out cause there was an open smtp port and a ftp port, the modem was bricked....had to shut taht down.... i didnt even know it was there....i wonder how much band got pulled....
That's not very nice of CableVision. They should have called you (or e-mailed at the very least) to let you know that they detected a server and asked you to stop running it. As you said, you were not even aware of the fact that you had a server, and were more than happy to stop it. Too bad they made you learn the hard way...

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to choco50000

Premium Member

to choco50000
hey that was rude of him to do something like that... Man if I got him on the phone...

Elektro
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Silverdale, WA

Elektro to choco50000

Premium Member

to choco50000
How did they detect your open ports?? Don't ports open when you actively use your connection? Or are they only open when you run a server? What if you're not running a "listening" server but send someone a file via an IM program? Are the ports open then? What about port forwarding? Does that result in open ports? I have to forward a port so my wife can use XWindows on Win98 for work. Is that considered running a server? Would that port show up as open??

choco50000
choco50000
Jackson, NJ

choco50000

i didnt, my firend..or my bro as i call him @ times...had his box serving FTP and an open SMTP relay.....

i know for a fact the FTP was shit..cause no one ever logged in...

o well..im gonna kick his ass when i see him..id hate to lose OOL..o well.....

Sam is just doing his job...
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

said by choco50000:
an open SMTP relay.....
That's probably what caused you to get noticed.

shawn744
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
New Jersey

shawn744

Premium Member

They don't just detect open ports and stuff like that, what triggers a security call home, or an e-mail is Broadband levels....if you had open ports (= servers) without knowing for a long time, you pulled a shitload of bandwidth, that's why they're pissed and calling people. But if you have open ports unusable, they won't care. As long as you don't use up too much bandwidth. So nextime, a leash would be appropriate on your brother....a nice comfortable one though.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL

mikepd to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
I agree it was very poor customer service on his part. At the very least, a phone call could have been made and while on the phone, the services shut down without having to brick the modem. But remember, he has control of your modem. So as soon as you had him on the phone and he felt you were being abusive, he would hang up and just brick your modem. Plus now that you've made him mad, it might take someone above him to get your modem back on. No matter how angry the situation makes you, keep it inside, take names and good notes and get to know the system so you can get someone higher than the person you're talking to. Then call that person, explain your situation, be polite, firm and tell them you want satisfaction, again keeping good notes. This worked very well for me with Verizon Online when they said I couldn't get 1.5/384 because I was over 12,000' when I was really 10,296'. Since everything is done by databases they had to manually make the change which is hard to get them to do but I persisted and now I have a rock solid line at the speed I wanted.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u to choco50000

to choco50000
Well you got your share of Sam V. today... That guy is a complete pain the the butt. He thinks he is GOD @ OOL, which he clearly isn't. The fool has lied to me and has a very bad and rude attitude. I had a ftp port open in my firewall table and he flipped and used the "absolutely no servers" bit. Did not even give me a chance to get home to fix the problem that was causing no harm, gave me an hour or two warning in the morning (would have been home in two hours) and bricked my modem. I wish I could take a "brick" and shove it up his... Better stop my rant right there! LOL
[text was edited by author 2002-04-16 18:28:57]

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel

Premium Member

Have you filed a complaint about him? What you need to do is record the next call you have with this guy and let him get rude, then play it back for his supervisor.
TheWiseGuy$
Dog And Butterfly
join:2001-08-11
Yonkers, NY

TheWiseGuy$ to mikepd

to mikepd
said by mikepd:
I agree it was very poor customer service on his part. At the very least, a phone call could have been made and while on the phone, the services shut down without having to brick the modem.
An open mail relay is used by spammers to flood the Mail Servers with spam and it gets OOL on Blacklists. The quickest and easiest way to prevent this is to brick the modem. Heck if you violate your contact you want them to call and say pretty please. ROTFL
omghi2u

omghi2u to choco50000

to choco50000
A situation such as an open relay or warez scheme should be dealt with by bricking the modem immediately, no doubt. Why doesnt OOL just block all the server ports if they are sooo kean on NO SERVERS??

dobby10
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Denville, NJ

dobby10

Premium Member

Any port can be used to host a server. If they shut all ports no more AIM or surfing the web.
omghi2u

omghi2u to choco50000

to choco50000
I stated they should block ALL SERVER PORTS... Such as ftp (http is already blocked), smtp, etc, etc. Doing this would defend against these situations from occuring.
[text was edited by author 2002-04-16 18:43:09]

dobby10
Premium Member
join:2000-12-13
Denville, NJ

dobby10

Premium Member

You can host an http server or an FTP server on virtually any port....https most common is 80, followed by 8080, which is not blocked.
TheWiseGuy$
Dog And Butterfly
join:2001-08-11
Yonkers, NY

TheWiseGuy$ to omghi2u

to omghi2u
My understanding is they are going to Block Port 25 INBOUND because this is a major problem. They would prefer not to block Ports to allow people who use their connection responsibly, for non-commercial use to do so. My guess is the greater the amount of abuse the more probability that they may have to block ports.

avi8or$
Dell's Rock Other's Drool
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

avi8or$ to choco50000

Premium Member

to choco50000
Who SAM VALentin?

He called me too
For running a server and stuff, yesterday!

-TOMZ
omghi2u

omghi2u to choco50000

to choco50000
He is one of the people at OOL Security...

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ to choco50000

Premium Member

to choco50000
From what I've read in the thread here, it seems to me that was was done was appropriate. Before you bash me, let me tell you why...

An open mail relay, which as I understand was the reason your service was temporarily shut off, is a huge pain for everyone. As an example, there are folks on optonline (my dad's best friend for example) who couldn't send mail to my dad in Florida that uses Adelphia, because Adelphia uses a Open Relay service which says OOL allowed this to occur. So besides the fact that it hurts everyone by allowing these email messages to go out, slow down our network and our mail servers, it prevents two innocent people from communicating over the most basic form of internet communications - email. And don't forget the potential monetary impact with regards to support calls & support emails on "bounced" mail due to open relay lists.

OOL, from everything that I see here and everything that I see on the Yahoo forums that they actively participate in, have and continue to be an ISP that is all for it's subscribers. I've seen nothing that they do that "hurts" us in any way.

In the case here, the person, albeit unknowingly to them, was running something that was causing issues for everyone on the OOL network. Sam, who've I been in contact with a few times (though never on the end of a call where they are shutting down my service) has been extremely helpful, cooperative and professional. Just like your parents... he probably has a job where if you're doing something wrong and you need to be "punished", no matter how he comes across to you, you're not going to be happy.

Hats off to Sam and OOL for keeping our network running as efficiently as possible.
GeekNJ

GeekNJ to omghi2u

Premium Member

to omghi2u
Hytek...

Imagine being a "parent" for thousands of children. I'd guess Sam and the security team at OOL feel like that on a daily basis. I know from following the forums here that there are parents with 1 child looking for help in monitoring and dealing with internet abuse. Imagine 100's and 1000's of abusing "children" to deal with. I sure don't envy the job that Sam and the OOL team has to do and deal with each day.

Your name calling would indicate to me that you haven't finished high school yet (no disrespect for folks in high school that do have respect for others - I know there are many here). Maybe they ought to start teaching manners and interpersonal communications in school nowadays.

Thundolfe2
join:2001-04-18
Hopewell Junction, NY

Thundolfe2 to GeekNJ

to GeekNJ
Well said Geek!

Unfortunatley SMTP relays can be very damaging to large networks. Drastic measures need to be taken sometimes even if the individual responsible is not aware. I am sorry you felt like you were mistreated, but much like a policeman stopping you for speeding, he's just doing his job.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to omghi2u

Premium Member

to omghi2u
said by hytekcomputer:
Well you got your share of Sam V. today... That guy is a complete pain the the butt. He thinks he is GOD @ OOL, which he clearly isn't. The fool has lied to me and has a very bad and rude attitude. I had a ftp port open in my firewall table and he flipped and used the "absolutely no servers" bit. Did not even give me a chance to get home to fix the problem that was causing no harm, gave me an hour or two warning in the morning (would have been home in two hours) and bricked my modem. I wish I could take a "brick" and shove it up his... Better stop my rant right there! LOL
[text was edited by author 2002-04-16 18:28:57]

I don't get it. Why was bricking your modem a problem when nobody was at home?

You make a lot of claims ("fool" "lied" "pain in the butt" "bad and rude attitude") with no examples so I am inclined to believe you just didn't like the fact that he cut you off for running a FTP server.

Also, tell me if Sam called you about the FTP server before or after they contacted you because of the commercial website you were running on OOL?

flink59
join:2001-01-27
Mount Kisco, NY

flink59 to choco50000

to choco50000
If the guy is really rude and complaints keep showing on DSL Reports, it could keep future ool'ers from signing on. Some may even drop service depending on the severity of the rudeness. I don't think that "all" love broadband that much.....well, then again!

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Think of it like this... how many times when your parents told you couldn't do something and you said "I HATE YOU!" when they were doing something for your own good, but you just didn't know it.

I'd bet this is the same sort of thing.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa to flink59

Premium Member

to flink59
said by flink59:
If the guy is really rude and complaints keep showing on DSL Reports, it could keep future ool'ers from signing on. Some may even drop service depending on the severity of the rudeness. I don't think that "all" love broadband that much.....well, then again!
I've yet to see one post from someone who was called by Sam in error, or had their modem bricked in error. Seems to me people just don't like the message they are getting.